RAF Lakenheath for MSFS2020

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

RAF Lakenheath for MSFS2020

Post by rocket_26_ »

For those that use FS2020 I released my Lakenheath scenery for the new sim today.

It can be downloaded here:

https://flightsim.to/file/11277/egul-raf-lakenheath

Cheers

Ian
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: RAF Lakenheath for MSFS2020

Post by Greg »

Absolutely stunning. Well done again, Ian!
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Wow !!!
Another reason for me to change to MSFS as soon as all my favorite aircraft will appear in this sim as well.
Ian, do you use custom trees on the airbase or the MSFS default one? They look a little like default...
Regards, Manfred.
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Manschy wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 16:13 Wow !!!
Another reason for me to change to MSFS as soon as all my favorite aircraft will appear in this sim as well.
Ian, do you use custom trees on the airbase or the MSFS default one? They look a little like default...
Thanks

Yes default as they blend in perfectly with the surrounding terrain and trees and you can set how high quality you like in the settings.
You can also change type, scale, density etc in the sim tools.

Cheers

Ian
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you very much for reply. Ian, you say "type". As around Brüggen, I may remember there are also pines around Lakenheath. Does MSFS really generate the european pine type like in reality? I don't think so. But the screens look stunning!
Regards, Manfred.
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Manschy wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 17:48 Thank you very much for reply. Ian, you say "type". As around Brüggen, I may remember there are also pines around Lakenheath. Does MSFS really generate the european pine type like in reality? I don't think so. But the screens look stunning!
I have just had a look at the types and everything but pines its seems.

It is easy enough to use your own trees, but it is more efficient to place them as a library as opposed to one scene from what I have read. Would make it easier to place in small groups and then snap to ground. Large scenes are a pain as need to tweak everything as the ground is not flat, which is exactly what I am doing now with Honington.

Cheers

Ian
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

I think the way I design my trees is no more state of the art - using simple crossed vertical planes will not do the trick anymore.
But I think I can come to terms with the default MSFS trees...
Regards, Manfred.
paul64
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by paul64 »

Looks even better in MSFS :D
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: MSFS

Post by PB68 »

Hi,

Just an update on how we are doing with the MSFS 2020 AI for Ian's Sceneries, including the recently released RAF Lakenheath.

After accepting the fact, that there will be some issues remaining because of the infancy of the MSFS 2020 AI system and using Legacy FSX AI models within it, both Ian and I, feel that it is better to have something populate these fabulous sceneries rather than nothing. Likewise, Johns JYAI models albeit for FSX, look pretty darn good in FS2020 and that's even with all of the current limitations.

Lakenheath is already modified for the JYAI F-15s and over the next couple of days or so, I will be giving instructions on how to make the AI F-15 package that can be installed into MSFS FS2020.

Ian is currently working on his RAF Honington Scenery and this will also be JYAI Tornado ready. It is anticipated that Ian will make available, an updated version of RAF Coningsby that is also JYAI Typhoon ready.

Those of you interested can make a start, by downloading the JYAI FSX F-15 package here on MAIW. Once you have done this, extract the ' SimObject ' folder ( containing the 4 F-15 Aircraft variants ) from the zip and place it onto your desktop. More instructions will follow.

Pete.
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Haven't installed fs2020 yet till new system is in place that can run it, but thank you so very much for doing this and the other bases Ian, really awesome looking.

The future looks like its going to be pretty darn amazing....

:wink: would love a mildenhall to go with the heath :wink:

all the best
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

PB68 wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 10:38 Hi,

Just an update on how we are doing with the MSFS 2020 AI for Ian's Sceneries, including the recently released RAF Lakenheath.

After accepting the fact, that there will be some issues remaining because of the infancy of the MSFS 2020 AI system and using Legacy FSX AI models within it, both Ian and I, feel that it is better to have something populate these fabulous sceneries rather than nothing. Likewise, Johns JYAI models albeit for FSX, look pretty darn good in FS2020 and that's even with all of the current limitations.

Lakenheath is already modified for the JYAI F-15s and over the next couple of days or so, I will be giving instructions on how to make the AI F-15 package that can be installed into MSFS FS2020.

Ian is currently working on his RAF Honington Scenery and this will also be JYAI Tornado ready. It is anticipated that Ian will make available, an updated version of RAF Coningsby that is also JYAI Typhoon ready.

Those of you interested can make a start, by downloading the JYAI FSX F-15 package here on MAIW. Once you have done this, extract the ' SimObject ' folder ( containing the 4 F-15 Aircraft variants ) from the zip and place it onto your desktop. More instructions will follow.

Pete.
Hey there Pete...

have there been any progress for getting the F-15's added as AI yet?

all the best

Trev
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Ian

just updated to version 1.2.

whats new in this version...base looks awesome tho.

Trev
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

SU5 compatible.
Steve
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Hi there...now that Lakenheath has appeared on the marketplace as payware.....
what are the changes comapared to the version we already have from flightsim.to?
will the changes if any be available to MAIW members or do we need to purchase from scratch?

all the best
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I saw that Ian had removed all his sceneries from Flightsim.to and I assume that it was over the dispute between that org and the contributors.
I have not seen that Ian has turned any or all into payware and he hasn't said anything about what he has done with the freeware versions or what plans he has.

If he has made them payware then I can't see any way that he can make anything available for free that would be in competition with that.

Anything further than that we shall have to wait for word from Ian himself.
Steve
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Payware vs freeware version:
- New ground textures and ground poly
- Updated and improved night lighting
- Added some new models and objects
- Added much more clutter around the base
- Requires the UK world update for the terrain mesh

Future updates will include:
- Adding the F-35's, buildings and shelters once they are complete and sufficient resources are available
- Updating and optimizing all current objects in preparation for nearby Mildenhall which will be developed next year
- Making a custom runway approach lighting system

I purchased the package and it is good value for the price.
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Purchased and looks good, looking forward to hopefully future updates