The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

General MAIW Package Issues

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
asizi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: General MAIW Package Issues

Post by asizi »

Hi guys. Just found out that for some reason the file abrist11.zip is obviously not available at flightsim.com. For luck I have it. So I could find out Ashley Flynn is the authors name. He had upload some more paints which included the model.
So just feel free to search to his name or

virgn111.zip

ryan111.zip

bwa111.zip

brumeuro.zip

bea111.zip

ba111.zip

but if you want the abrist11.zip itself, you can find it here:

https://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/archive/ft ... ads05/jan/

Maybe it might be also an option to try the model by Mr. David Maltby?

http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/bac_1-11.htm

Best regards, Arne :)
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

Hi Arne
I hate to correct you, but that file is available at Flightsim.com. I downloaded it no problems and others on this site have also downloaded it with no problems.

Regards Paul Day.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Cheers,
Martin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by asizi »

Ok guys. Looks like I need som glases... Shame on me. I had to write in the lower field and now I got it.

The only thing I don't understand is that the links from the last post by Martin still gave me a

No Search Results
No Files matched your search criteria.

message.

But now I got it the right way. Sorry for the inconvenience. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Best wishes. Arne
ajs1964
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ajs1964 »

Hi Guys,
I wasnt sure where to post this: I keep getting the duplicate/non unique names errors despite not being able to find any duplicate titles in the referenced aircraft.cfg files. Has anyone had this phenomenon before. I am using FSX-SE and the sim appears to function ok, but its a pain having to click them off at start up all the time. I have enclosed one of the offending files if anyone can find the errors. The sim states the first 4 fltsim.* entries have duplicates????

Its doing my head in....... :smt013

Cheers

Andrew
Attachments
aircraft.cfg
(22.1 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
ajs1964
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ajs1964 »

Hi Guys

managed to figure it out after a lot of web browsing. Duplicate directories, but not necessarily called the same.......
all sorted now.

Cheers
Andrew
ajs1964
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ajs1964 »

Hi Guys

I have an issue with the installation of packages.

When I run the installation executable file for a particular package, in this case it is Barksdale AFB, All of the texture files in all of the subdirectories are installed with a "$$A" suffix when they should be *.BMP.

Can you suggest a reason why and maybe how to fix this as its very time consuming and frustrating to have to manually change the suffixes to BMP.

Cheers
Andrew (ajs1964)
Attachments
Funny File Names
Funny File Names
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

That is very impressive and I am not sure how you did that.
The reason i say it is that .$$A files are associated with OS/2!

Now I had Barksdale on my PC and it has no problem but to make sure I just downloaded the package again and installed to a temp folder and I can confirm that it is fine.

I would suggest retrying. The only other thing I can think of is what filesystem is your public drive using?
Steve
ajs1964
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ajs1964 »

Hey Steve

Our home server uses Linux, but just to try I downloaded to my WIN10 x64 downloads directory and achieved the same results.
All the texture files are listed as *.$$A once I activate the installation *.exe file.

Beats me, but I only have this issue with MAIW stuff.

Cheers
Andrew
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

i was just wornding with the textures for nick black special painted typhoons can you put there textures on jyai typhoons
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No, the mapping is completely different.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

ajs1964 wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 08:24 Hey Steve

Our home server uses Linux, but just to try I downloaded to my WIN10 x64 downloads directory and achieved the same results.
All the texture files are listed as *.$$A once I activate the installation *.exe file.

Beats me, but I only have this issue with MAIW stuff.

Cheers
Andrew

I admit that I am at a loss here. As I said I downloaded the pack fresh and ran it to a temp file and all the files were correct.

Now you have done the same to your system and it comes out different. The interesting thing that you said is that you only have issue with MAIW stuff. This says that this is not the only one you have problems with. If that is the case then it is definitely something on your PC.
Now if all the other files appear correct then you have something on your system that is either converting them to $$a files or is showing them as that type. Now I remember that bmp files were the default type for OS/2 and it seems that somehow you might have got some default setting set incorrectly.

Firstly can you confirm that in your folder options that under View>Advanced Settings that "Hide extensions for known filetypes" is NOT selected. This is the only way to show the full filename, including extension, and not just the first part plus what it thinks it is.
Steve
ajs1964
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ajs1964 »

Hey Steve

It turned out to be a file association issue. Still strange as it was not the same association as for *.BMP files. But anyway I removed the $$A association and all is good.

Thanks for your help. :D

Andrew
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad it is sorted. A weird one that.
Steve
Phlexx
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Phlexx »

Hi all, I'm new to MAIW so I hope I'm doing this bit correctly. First of all I'm so glad I found MAIW as I'm very impressed with what I've seen thus far. Well done to everyone involved. I have a question which I haven't found any other posts about whilst searching the forums, but it is hopefully a simple one to resolve. I've installed the Hawks packages, Parts 1 & 2 and the Typhoon package and all is working fine apart from one thing. When flying towards an airfield that has the Hawks or Typhoons parked up, the aircraft appear white at a distance, the black textures (in the case of the Hawks) and the grey textures (for the Typhoons) don't get filled-in until you're very close to them. Not a major issue but I've not noticed it with any other static aircraft. My settings in FS9 are all pretty-much maxed out now that I'm running it on an i3 PC. Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening? I assume it's some kind of 'draw distance' issue but there doesn't appear to be any settings for this that I can find. Thanks everyone.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

"Phlexx", this has nothing to do with your setup. AI models have LOD's (Level Of Detail) to improve performance, what you are seeing is the lowest LOD which is only visible at larger distance. Some models have no texture mapped on their lowest LOD and appear white if that is their material base color. The developer can solve this by texturing the lowest LOD of the model.

Henk.
Phlexx
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Phlexx »

Hi "hschuit", thanks for your quick reply to my enquiry. Ok, I understand that now. At least I know that it's something that's out of my control & not a setup problem on my part. Appreciated.
flightwise
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by flightwise »

Am I correct in understanding that you can't have two or more packages installed at the same time because of the AFCADS? The reason I ask is becuase I had a package installed and working and then Installed another one and the other one worked but not the original, I scanned for duplicate AFCADS but didn't find any, if I can only have 1 package at time installed how do I start from scratch. so I can install the original package? Thanks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No that is not quite correct.
You can have as many packages as you like, you just can't have multiple afcads with the same ID.

You may have got multiple afcads for a location, e.g. af2_EGUW.bgl and afx_EGUW.bgl. What you have to do is find them all and only have one in your FS. Which one will depend entirely upon your needs, and whether there is addon scenery supplied for it.

A general rule is that the newest one is likely to be the best one to go for UNLESS you have specific addon scenery or you are have a retro setup.

It maybe necessary, at times, to modify an afcad to bring it up to date for parking with new units or types.
Steve
flightwise
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by flightwise »

Thanks for your swift reply and clarifications, so I take it that the afcad scanner doesn't always catch that, ok I will do what you suggested and report back.