The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI C-130J Specials

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JYAI C-130J Specials

Post by John Young »

All I did was use the files that you e-mailed to me and made that simple change to the texture name - just change 1 letter. Have you done the same?

From what package did you get the model that you e-mailed to me please?

John
ado4567
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by ado4567 »

I put them in the 401 hikotai jasdf but the textures show so I charged it back to j instead of h were it says sim on the aircraft configuration
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

got two Iraq textures but one is stil blink
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

So you changed the sim=lines instead of the texture names - why did you do that? Having changed them back and made the changes to the texture names, you saw two of the three textures displayed in FS9. It should then have been an easy task to observe what is different about the third texture name compared to the other two.

I guess you did that successfully, because an hour and a half after your 10:34 post, you sent me an e-mail, instead of continuing the story here, saying "Got it to work".

I'm really glad that's fixed, but I'm trying to work out what caused all this mess in the first place. The clue is in your earlier post I think:

"i am using the JYAI C-130 MISCELLANEOUS MODELS H-73 becomes a C-130B"

The model file that you sent me to test comes from that package - it is the same file size and has the same date stamp. The package was uploaded 28 April 2020.

The model that Jim used for his Iraq repaints comes from the Nagoya package. It pre-dates the Miscellaneous package and was uploaded 6 March 2020. That model is different to the one in the Miscellaneous package - it has an "H" texture call, rather than a "J".

There is a clear link to the correct model download in Jim's manual. I'm not clear why you needed to ignore that and use a different download. You must use the model that the painter used to ensure compatibility.

John
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

I woul like to know what I have don wrong with the belgiume and oman I forgot to charge the sim thing to h instead of j on my Iraq one so my Iraq was are working
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

OK ado, this has to stop.

This morning you sent me 3 e-mails with attached zips for the Uruguay and Belgium repaints, with a sparse message, as in the case of Uruguay:

"this is the uruguay model what have i done wrong they"

I only gave you my e-mail address so that you could send me the Iraq files because you were unable to understand the basics of setting up AI aircraft or to take screen shots so I could at least see what you were doing. It wasn't an open invitation for you to continue to problem solve via my inbox. If you want help, please post here on the forum so others, who might know the answer, can chip in.

You have done that without a word of thanks for 3 days of help that just ate up my time running around in circles.

I am not going to start a new round with Belgium and Uruguay when:

a) you haven't specified the problem you are having.
b) you haven't told me what re-paint package you are using so the documentation can be checked.
c) you haven't told me what checks you have already carried out to solve the problem yourself.
d) you have sent me incomplete zips that have key components missing, like the aircraft.cfg files.
e) you have included RAR files within the zip files that are reported by my system as an "unknown format or damaged" and can't be opened. They could be malicious code for all I know.
f) you have included 70-odd sound files from the "Fs Sound Design Group".

I can tell you from a quick look, that one of the countries has a mismatch between the texture name called by the model and the texture name in the folders. It's the same problem again - you now know how to solve that now. The other one looks OK, but without the aircraft.cfg files I wouldn't have been able to test anything in any case.

I have happily resumed working to get the Wildcat's and Merlin's finished. I'm not going to get diverted again to negotiate further circles I'm afraid.

John
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

Thankyou for your help
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ado, there is absolutely no point in you continuing to e-mail me further zips for me to check for you, as you did today after I asked you not to do that.

The attached zips were again incoherent, with not only sound files but panel cfg’s and bitmaps this time, embedded RAR files again that won’t open and crucially, as yesterday, a missing aircraft.cfg file.

I couldn’t check the aircraft anyway without that file, even if I wanted to. As I said yesterday, I’m just not going around that loop again, especially when I thought we had given you the information to do future checks yourself.

Sorry, but I have blacklisted your e-mail address. Be aware also that you are on two warnings here at MAIW. I understand that you have learning difficulties, which is why I am not asking for a ban, but you need to try and consider the impact of what you are doing on the people you are seeking help from.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ado, it suddenly dawned on me half way through dinner this evening what might be happening here. Is the reason that you have included panel and sound files to the C-130 repaints zips you sent me, that you are using the aircraft as a flyable aircraft? You haven't told me what problem you are seeing, but is the problem that you can't see the aircraft at all?

John
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

Yes on the flight sim main aircraft when you select the aircraft
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

Maybe I need a lot of help
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ado, did it not occur to you to mention anywhere over the past 6 days that the problem was that you can't see the aircraft in the FS9 selection menu? Instead you had us running around in circles trying to solve a texture problem in AI repaints. I would have suspected nothing about the true problem until you e-mailed me 70 odd sound files yesterday and panel files plus sound today.

If you read the first page of any of my manuals, you will see a big bold statement that the aircraft are not designed to be user flyable.

If you had stated the problem, even in a single sentence at the outset, we could have responded immediately. The aircraft do not appear in the selection menu because they are AI and the flag to do that is turned off in the "Type" field in the .air file.

Today is a very special occasion and I am ending the day furious.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ado,
I shall make this very plain to you. The title of this group is "Military AI Works".

We deal with "AI" matters not flying matters. This does not mean questions about how to get AI aircraft flyable. Do you understand?

All further questions that ask here about how to get xxx flyable in the sim will be ignored! Is that clear?
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ado, you e-mailed me this afternoon with the following message:

"A matter of instres why did the iraq was work and you can fly them"

I won't reply by e-mail because I asked you not to do that and because I want to refer you to Steve's post above.

You are clearly not grasping the fundamental point here and what we do at MAIW. I could see the Iraq C-130's, because I set them up as AI with a flight plan, as the repaints were intended. You could have deduced that they were AI because they were 3 of them.

I didn't "fly" the aircraft myself because they are not designed to be user-flyable, as I said earlier.

I'm assuming that you do in fact set up AI packages that you find here and not just try to fly the aircraft yourself.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Steve (swp53) e-mailed me this link about the proposal to put some MC-130J's on floats. I'm not sure the undercarriage in the illustration would stand up to much and I'm not sure what the floats would do to the cruise speed, but maybe sometime next year, I might have a prototype model to make if the 17 month timescale is realised.

https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing ... 90.article

The downside though, is that I can't model a wheels down take-off and a wheels up (float) landing - the FDE doesn't allow that. It has to be water to water or land to land.

Interesting potential project though.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I read about that as well. Wonder if it will happen. I would have thought that the H conversion to 8-props would have been the priority but as you say interesting.
Steve
msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

Somebody is thinking "outside the box" for sure. I don't think the region for intended use at the moment is to hard of a guess either. The C-130 platform has been tested/utilized in a number of unconventional ways for years and this is definitely a new one... Would seriously add some new insertion/extraction methods to SOCOM team mission planning.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Not AI but I think I remember the Captain Sim C-130 had a float version.
msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

Joseph29...I believe you are thinking of the ski version for arctic/ice landings.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

msm8378 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 13:17 Joseph29...I believe you are thinking of the ski version for arctic/ice landings.
I looked and I was right. They called it the CL-130. (they did have a ski version too)

https://www.captainsim.com/products/c131/ep1/index.html
https://www.captainsim.com/cgi-bin/imgv ... 23.jpg;x=1