The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by John Young »

Chris, do have a feel for the basing of the MD-500? I haven't looked into it, but I'm expecting them to be all over the place and I'm not sure how we fare scenery-wise? Definitely a hole that needs filling though. I'll start the T-7A when some decent 3-views appear. The two prototypes are at least flying.

John
asdro
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by asdro »

The ARJ 21-700 doesnt exist and would be a very useful aircraft.

Currently painters like at AIG use a DC9 model as placeholder.

A big advantage is that you dont need to make different variations. Just one basic model and paintkit.

I know i suggested it a long time ago and i know it is not
a military jet.

But as the model is still not existing may be it is a good idea for a fixed wing AI model.

I suppose that FSPX will make a model in the future but it would be a payware and not for FS9.

46x ARJ21 already were delivered to eight operators.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Asdro, please discount the ARJ. If it is to be done it will be people that concern themselves with civvie aircraft.

For John to listen to any suggestions you have to stay within the guidelines he posted. He said USAF/USN/USMC and currently non-helos only.
Steve
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 06:38 I'll start the T-7A when some decent 3-views appear. The two prototypes are at least flying.
https://world-defense.com/attachments/b ... -jpg.9981/

This is the only one I find...
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

About KC-10 it seems there are more than two at AMARG. 2nd ARS already retire 5 exemples.

https://www.airforcemag.com/mcguire-squ ... l_qF0B5EsQ

And there are some adaptations to make at Mc Guire scenery for KC-46 (New Hangar..)
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by jetrange »

It's an idea, but could a KDC-10 model be made from the KC-10 too? Omega has a DC-10-40 with two drogue pods on the wings, and they've purchased the two RNLAF jets, with the second one coming this year.

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Asdro, you suggested the ARJ 21-700 a year ago so there is no need to repeat it. I discounted it immediately because it is non-military. I'm still waiting on your justification as to why you think we need to replace the current C-17 for FS9.

Foufure, thanks for looking, but I have those T-7A diagrams too. They have no top down view and are therefore too limited to work with.

Jetrange, no problem, I will make the Omega KDC-10's with the wing pods too. I am really pleased with the USAF modelling so far.

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

John, referencing the H500, between researching online sources the Defender version would be the most widely used variant to included N. Korea. The older OH-6/H500 series, while still in use, seem to be ready for replacement (Spain,Italy, Japan).

I fly with a DCS group that has 2x USAF boom operators and got to hear stories about the KC-46, it's much worse then I thought. As mentioned, it does seem Omega is expanding their DC-10 operations.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Chris, that more than confirms what I have read about the K-46 and why filling the gap with the KC-10A is still justified as a contemporary package. I need to look a bit more at the H500 to see what's doable, but it remains high on my list.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Another missing aircraft in USAF retro AI world is the C-119G (and derivate versions).
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Do the Gulfstream

G550 CAEW

G550 Shavit

have potential to become a new project after the KC-10?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't think so. Too much like the Sentinel that I've already made. There are other suggestions here that I think would have wider interest, for users and for me.

John
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

But IRL the Sentinels were retired in UK, according to wikipedia.
I think only the UAE use two of them.

The G550 Shavit looks similar like the Sentinel, but not the CAEW.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I made the Sentinels when they were active. I don't really want to repeat a model that is so similar, albeit for the G550. I have to consider what interests me as well as you.

Are you going to tell me why you think the C-17 that you want replacing is so inadequate?

John
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

I think we covered mass produced aircraft pretty well and I agree with John that making a model for a dozen of repaints is waste of time. Cessna 172 is mass produced aircraft , but civil. Su-27/30/35 family deserves new model but knowing how much pain I had to catch up with all versions of Mig-29 I wouldn't recommend anyone to go into that adventure and on top of that I guess it's not Johns area of interest.
Keysee looks like a good choice if you ask me, after that we need some painters to cover all the models we have previously made.
VIVA LA VIDA
Samuray8726
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Samuray8726 »

Hello John,

I hope I won't pour gasoline on any fire, excuse a potentially ignorant question. Are you open to consider as a future project something from the East or do you prefer Western origin design? If so may I suggest the Ka-50 an 52 family or the Mi-28 Havoc. If needed I offer my services in collecting resource materials.

Martin
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm open to any ideas, but I will apply some weighting in order to determine a priority for me. So, that might mean the likely level of interest from our users, the number and complexity of the models and paints, the availability of information and the availability of scenery (3 sim versions) to put the models in. The last point is particularly relevant to helicopters since I need to create overlay AFCADs for each one for the animated lift in the models to work properly.

The priority also needs to hold some interest for me. I can't say that I love the design of the examples you mention, but I can do "ugly" if there is a need.

I've made a lot of helicopters recently so I'd like a break from those. I'm trying to fill obvious gaping holes in what we have available at the moment - hence the KC-10A. I think there are one or two RAF subjects that I might do for the same reason.

It's always good to have the suggestions recoded here. I find it a really useful source for what I might do next.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Among all the suggestions, I come back with a slightly more retro and English idea. It is not really a single device but a whole range ... namely the Gloster Meteor and all its variants.

You can also do this kind of pack with the Hawker Hunter.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've got the Belvedere on the stocks for the retro fans just so John and me don't duplicate anything. Plus some other retro RAF aircraft that haven't been done.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I almost got to the Meteor, but made the Merlin Mk4 instead. There are only two Meteors flying in the UK, used by Martin Baker for ejection seat work and one in Australia I believe. That leaves quite an enormous retro project and to quote Wiki - "Thousands of Meteors were built to fly with the RAF and other air forces and remained in use for several decades".

I didn't go ahead with the idea because I couldn't pin down what squadrons to pick, never mind researching retro scenery for 3 sim versions. I could though, provide aircraft only packs at some point. Remains high on the list.

John