The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

NBAI Model LOD Modifications

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

NBAI Model LOD Modifications

Post by JohnTenn »

Having tried to paint a Rafale for the Egyptian Air force, I was disheartened by the way the aircraft displayed in the sim.

A similar situation with a newer offering for a retro prop-liner got me thinking.

Halve the value on the LOD tag.

I was graciously granted access to the source files.

If you can not see the difference then you do not need to make any changes.
Attachments
Rafale LOD update.jpg
Rafale test FTTJ.jpg
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: NBAI Model LOD Modifications

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm now using John Young's 3 LOD system. With more powerful PCs available how long before the whole LOD system will be necessary?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Until the architecture of the simulator changes there will be a need for some way for the model not to load when out of visual range.

In FS9 the lower LOD value model provides the shadow.

The trick for efficient AI would be to make the complete transition before it comes into view close enough to see the changes happening. The silhouette should be maintained as far as possible.

In my system I can see LOD 050 quite clearly and then the sequence from there.

To use the HTAI Cessnas as a reference, the almost complete model is at LOD_075 or there about.
On models of larger aircraft the fuselage shape is visible earlier on the LOD value scale.
Lower LOD models are visible later, front on as opposed to side on. So it seems it has something to do with how many pixels are visible at that moment.

I have very little knowledge of FSDS. Having a crash course to compile the models.
FSDS seems to have the LOD allocation automated, assigning values using your values as a guide.

Having no LOD's would eventually require more computing power as you add more addons.

To summarize a few LOD's are needed. To create LOD's to simply have LOD's is counter productive.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Subsequent to my previous post, I removed another LOD model from the Rafale and renamed the remaining LOD's to lower values.

So in total, two of the original removed.

I discovered that FSDS does in fact use your values, provided they have a gradual progression.

Visually I could see no real benefit from removing the second LOD.

As long as a model with a good shape is visible by LOD_035 or there about. Animation of drooping controls need to be visible early also.

We have gotten used to LOD's and visibility values in the sim, so transitions are part of it.

My goal was to maintain the shape of the NBAI Rafale models in a realistic visible range without them starting to look like inflatable rubber dummies.

This process has succeeded.

What I have learned also is that the way models and LOD's are managed in FSDS makes life very easy to change LOD values and add load-outs.
Gmax, I found gives you way more control of the modelling process.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's very good John. Yes you are right, LODs work on pixels so the transition with the same LOD values will be different for larger and smaller aircraft. The transition also depends on the user's screen resolution of course.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I have had a go at the NBAI FA-18 E and F and EA-18 G's

Might need a bit more manipulation.
Attachments
VFA-151.jpg
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

JohnTenn wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 17:59 I have had a go at the NBAI FA-18 E and F and EA-18 G's

Might need a bit more manipulation.
Hello John,

I've got the source files of theses aircrafts.

I can send them to you. But I ve one question : do you think you can add Folding Wings (like available on swedish F/A-18C from NBAI) for use on aircrafts carriers sceneries ?

Thanks a lots.

Regards
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I have the source files.

I have not been able to get the folding wings to work yet. FSDS is still strange to me and not my first priority to learn.
Making changes to the models was not my intention.

At the moment it is limited to changing the LOD tags and compiling the models. These F-18's have been changed but the result is not quite as I had hoped. There is a LOD model going missing in the procedure.

At least there is no flashing on the ramp as the LOD's change.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

I spy the -151 paints, part of a larger package?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Chris it nearly went that way.

I had a singleton paint for 151 with 2016 design on the tail. Modified models went into this folder. I kept them separate so that I could compare how they displayed in the sim.

Then I realized the design on the tail was out of date. This design seemed easy enough to do.

The sheer number of aircraft will make this quite a challenge. Not sure scramble is anywhere near up to date.
To be honest I have wanted to do this but the thought of putting hundreds of serial numbers on paints fills me with dread.

Let me finish the LOD changes on the models and see where we are then.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

For the carrier enthusiasts out there.

Nicks F-18 folding wing models do work. I have managed to get Sidewinders onto the wingtips of the E version, so with careful deleting I can make the other loadouts.

Dry models are done.

Working on Apache and Chinook now.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

These are Hellenic AH-64A's.

The change is quite dramatic
Attachments
LGSV_old.jpg
LGSV.jpg
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

JohnTenn wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:38 For the carrier enthusiasts out there.

Nicks F-18 folding wing models do work. I have managed to get Sidewinders onto the wingtips of the E version, so with careful deleting I can make the other loadouts.

Dry models are done.

John
Super John.

I'm impatient to see the E/F/G models with folding wings and add them on my carriers sceneries.

Thanks for your work.

Regards
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Will Chinook and A400M will also get new LOD update?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

What is the problem you want to see corrected asdro? Bear in mind LOD performance is influenced by your specific screen resolution. Other users may be seeing something different.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Asdro

I have updated the Chinooks.
As for the A400's I have not requested the source files as yet.

John, the visual change on the Chinooks, viewed in high resolution is quite dramatic. Turns from a plywood mock-up to a relatively accurate helicopter. The model however is quite basic. If you are intending to build your own version of the helicopters I believe there will be an audience for them.

My motivation for the modifications is personal but I am sure there are persons out there who benefit from the change. This might not be the case hence the warning in the packages.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

From a completely non-scientific approach here I believe that if you are using 1080p, 2K or 4K monitors then you will see the benefit. When most of these models were released it wasn't a big issue as the screen resolutions were less but when John showed me the difference on his Rafales from the originals it was clearly obvious.

I would say to anybody that has these models to try the re-compiled versions. At worst you will see no difference and at best you will very pleased with the change.
Steve
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

The following image shows an updated Chinook model further away than the original. Not quite as dramatic as my first observation made me believe. Nevertheless there is an improvement.

I have now had a look at the A400's. I do not believe that any benefit will be gained by changing the LOD's. Bear in mind these models are relatively recent.
Attachments
Chinook far.jpg
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

JohnTenn wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:38 For the carrier enthusiasts out there.

Dry models are done.

Working on Apache and Chinook now.

John
Hello John,

I've just installed your modified F-18E with folding wings. That's great. All is Ok. Good work.

Do you thnik you can do the self with F and G models ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards.
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Chinook Models Uploaded.

Updated FA-18 A,B,C and D package uploaded. Previously omitted models now included.

F-18 Wet models, only the models, are ready to be tested. Anyone wanting to test the models can send me a message. I will send a link for download.