The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Why do aircraft float?

Post all your development discussions here that don't fit into any of the above categories.
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Why do aircraft float?

Post by paul day »

In my setup I have Hawker Hunters, Kfirs and L-39 Albatros lined up next to each other at Pt Mugu. from the ATAC package. The problem I have is the Albatros are floating about ten foot above ground. I have about twenty other different ai aircraft at Pt Mugu moving around with no problems. My question is , is there anything in the Abatros aircraft CFG I can adjust to remedy this situation?
This is in an FSX acceleration setup.

Regards Paul Day.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Why do aircraft float?

Post by John Young »

Paul, open the aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft by double clicking it and scroll down to the contact points. There is an example below (not your problem aircraft).

The first figure in each line is the type of contact point, the second is the position from the datum point to the wheels along the x axis. The third is the lateral distance between the wheels and the datum. Point.0 is the nose wheel so this value is 0.

The values you are interested in are the 4th ones in each line. This is the height of the wheels from the datum (always minus). Try adjusting those.

[contact_points]
point.0 = 1, -26.0, 0.0, -7.600,...................
point.1 = 1, -39.8, -7.2, -7.100,...................
point.2 = 1, -39.8, 7.2, -7.100,..................

The lower the number, the nearer the wheels are to the ground, so I suspect you will need to reduce the values if the aircraft are floating, by about 10ft. Try that to start with and fine tune after that. I would also check the aircraft at another airport, just to ensure consistency.

You will also need to change the static_CG_height value. That figure will be approximately the same as the wheel height, but positive. The value is used when the aircraft loads. If it drops before settling, you need to adjust it.

John
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Re: Why do aircraft float?

Post by paul day »

John
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it was something to do with the aircraft CFG. I just about understand the remedy but then I had a lightbulb moment. I had another Albatros which I checked was working fine, so I swapped out the aircraft CFG and presto, all is fine, but thank you for your time to help me.

Regards Paul Day.