The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI KC-10A

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
gapeters
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: JYAI KC-10A

Post by gapeters »

Not that it will help much Jon, but the FS9 version seems to be fine. Loaded up a few different times and days for me. Though I compiled the raw data via AIFP and did not use the included bgls. That's how I was able to find the one error in the 10 Tanker plans.

Is it any time or day??

Greg
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Jon wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 18:12 Well the good news it's not the scenery.
Now into solving which traffic file is causing the crash (gets to 89%)
For what it is worth I too am experiencing a crash at SUU and am currently working on isolating the issue... The crash appears to be happening around 86% to 89% loaded.... I am running P3Dv4.5 HF3...

Of note and I am not sure if this was part of the Matrix install, I already had a KSUU in ADEP4 installed under my MAIW > MAIW_NA > MAIW_NA_Airbases folder which appears to be the JS KSUU converted to v4 format files are as follows:

KSUU_ADEP4_JS.bgl
KSUU_ADEP4_JS_CVX.bgl
KSUU_ADEP4_JS_OBJ.bgl
KSUU_8Q0_ADEP4_OBJ.bgl
SUU_8Q0_ADEP4.bgl

Admittedly I am not 100% sure of my file and install history as I have been plagued with some hard drive issues recently and found myself backing up what I could and starting with a new hard drive...

For now I am going to uninstall the SUU files included in the KC-10 pack and go back to the above mentioned KSUU files and see if that helps...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

For what it's worth, I'm not a Matrix user and I am not experiencing a crash at Travis in P3Dv4 or 4.5.

John
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Yea I have verified it twice that I had a crash when loading KSUU... Will post what I find out on the next round... May take me a while as P3D takes me 1 to 2 hours to load after each CTD... (lots of sim objects)
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Also for what it is worth here is what it looks like in event viewer: (both CTDs were identical events)

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.5.14.34698, time stamp: 0x5e94b5c2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1110, time stamp: 0xe7a22463
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff259
Faulting process id: 0x5608
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7a0d0577e9c0e
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 37e36b8d-873e-4e0f-91d3-866df15fec61
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

I've narrowed it down the the tanker unit (60 AMW) causing the crash. I also do have these black issues (assumed to be missing texture).

Going to check the paints for issues.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-04 150815 a 1.jpg
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Ok so definitely not the scenery on my end... Crashed at 86% without the SUU from the KC-10 package installed... Going to try:

1. Remove the 60AMW and see if it runs without it...

2. Assuming it does I may try to see if I can recompile from the raw traffic files included using AIFP and see if that works...

More tomorrow...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Occasionally, there will be a difference between the raw files and a supplied bgl file due to an admin process.

I would say that if there is an issue with a traffic file always trying to recompile with AIFP is a good idea. If there is an issue there AIFP should flag it up.
If you don't get supplied with raw files try loading the bgl into AIFP to create the raw files. This should also show any issues up when loading it.
Steve
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I think I'm going nuts.

Yesterday I had the Travis issue, and also worked out that McGuire & Eindhoven were fine, but 60 AMW traffic crashed P3D (v4.5 H2) at any KSUU scenery: The one in John's new package, the version with Matrix and also Orbx Northern California (when I enlarged some parking spots to take the KC-10s).

Today I thought I'd start by confirming that the scenery did not matter, so added parking to the P3D stock KSUU. It did NOT crash. However, everything I've tried today, including the 'new' scenery works also. No crash! I've tried to put everything back to when I first installed John's tanker package, and still no crash today so far.

Jim, confused.
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

FWIW using AIFP to compile the raw 60th AMW supplied with the package seems to cure the crash issue (I've only tested once).

Opening the 60th BGL supplied to get the text files did not solve the issue though at least in this case.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Ok so my results...

1. Loaded without 60 AMW all fine...

2. Compiled from provided raw .txt files... and crash...

I told AIFP to compile it for p3dv4 going to try to compile to FSX parameters next...

Admittedly this is frustrating...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Isn't compiling for FSX or P3Dv4 the same?
I thought that what AIFP takes into account for the versions is the different ICAO addresses between the versions, and where to put the compiled files.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I will be honest I have never had a crash whilst loading a plan so I have no experience to help out here. It maybe that P3D checks for some parms other than the ones that FS9 and FSX check.

This is what I would try.
Try to eliminate a model issue. Copy your aircraft.cfg somewhere safe. Amend the aircraft.cfg so that all the model parms are the same for all the Travis aircraft. Make the one model one that you know for sure works elsewhere. It doesn't matter whether it is a true Travis model, it could be the 10 tanker version. The point is to see where the issue is.

The good news is that by doing this you will not need to recompile, as the model used is not referenced in the traffic file.

Then see if you still get the crash. If it does you will at least have ruled out any mdl as being the culprit, for the most part.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

If you do get another crash, could you note the date and time in the sim please? I'm wondering if it occurs only when a given aircraft is present at Travis.

John
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Will do... I agree with Steve, my next two tests are going to be:

1. Try keeping the BGL and remove the aircraft sim object folder

2. Minimal load and try setting my AI Traffic to 1% (I set all the traffic to 1% in the bgl) and see if it crashes...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Ok so some results... Trying my first stated experiment (keeping the bgl and removing the sim object folder (the entire aircraft) ) the evidence does point to an aircraft /model issue... With the .bgl still in place and no aircraft to load everything worked fine... Good news is out of habit I always set my sim time to match my system time so going back to my event viewer I was easy to capture the zulu times of my crashes... All crashes point to Ntdll.dll... Here are the zulu dates and times I have captured:

9/5 18:58:06
9/5 15:35:23
9/5 01:10:44
9/4 19:02:06
9/4 17:24:15
9/3 11:29:26

Hopefully that provides some clues...
demill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by demill »

I had the same problem.if you look at the aircraft cfg file the title has "" marks remove these and change the ui variation name to match the title and your sim should work.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I had forgotten about the quotation marks. To simplify matters you do not need to alter the ui_variation.

It would be interesting to see if the quotations are the issue.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't believe they are.

I tested in P3Dv4 this morning at the first time reported for a crash. I too crashed at that time.

I then eliminated the C-17s and still a crash. So it's either a KC-10 model/texture or an error in the traffic file.

I then swapped the traffic file for my previous test traffic file. No crash at the same time or at any of the other times. All Travis KC-10A's present.

I suspect then that it's the traffic file, but there's another test I want to do first on the models before I examine that later this afternoon.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Very intriguing, John.
Something I have not heard of before. A traffic file being able to compile OK but then causes a crash in game. I hope we can get to the bottom of it so we can feed back to Don.
Steve
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

OK, regarding the Title quotes, I looked at the Prepar3D SDK rules for the cfg file and see also that commas should be used for the atc_parking_codes line ( atc_parking_codes=KC10,6ARS,9ARS ).

Making both changes at the same time for the 5th Sep 2021 18:58:06 start time, I get repeatable starts-OK versus crashes for the original.

Then tried ONLY removing the quotes --> crash.
Then tried ONLY adding commas --> starts OK.

The trouble is that I could have sworn that I tried adding commas a day or two ago and had a crash. Maybe I just need to take better notes!

I'll stick with both changes for now. Maybe this works for all of you?

Jim.