The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 11 (very early)

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 11 (very early)

Post by Firebird »

That must be very frustrating, Guenther. I would say to check whether your motherboard has the capability to enable TPM but unless you have a compatible CPU it is pointless.

It seems that you are realistically in the same situation to myself, except that your system is newer than mine.

This is the the thing that has disappointed me the most about all this. MS has not gone into any great depth of what is required in the written word. It is only if you run their PC health check that you find out for sure. For some people they maybe be lucky and have to simple switch on TPM and Secure Boot in their bios. For the rest of us not so much.

I said before that MS have made a big policy change they just decided to hide the full extent of the cost involved to a lot of people.
Steve
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by DMdoc »

WSJ has a scathing review of Win11...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/microsoft- ... lead_pos10
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For me the most anticipated part of 11 is the ability to run Android apps but that is not in place yet.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

hgschnell wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 04:41 I was surprized that my desktop pc (built 2017) is not compatible for Win 11.
CPU I5-7500 and no TMP 2.0!
Very few 7th-gen CPUs are compatible (see my post earlier in the thread). I would be very surprised if your motherboard isn't capable of hosting a TPM 2.0 dongle, but getting hold of them is next to impossible. However, neither of these issues stops you installing Win11 if you want to; you just won't be able to do it through a Microsoft-hosted OS upgrade process.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

DMdoc wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 13:50 WSJ has a scathing review of Win11...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/microsoft- ... lead_pos10
The link as interpreted by the forum software takes one to somewhere called 'affiliate futures'. Copy and pasting the link takes us to a pay-to-read page, so we'll have to take your word for it that the WSJ doesn't like it!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Firefox was able to follow the link to a Wall Street Journal article but you have to sign in to read it.
Steve
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DMdoc »

Ahhh, the joys of newspaper paywalls. Here's the title & subtitle of the WSJ article:
"Microsoft Released Windows 11. But Should You Upgrade?
The newest Windows operating system got a nice makeover, but we’re still waiting for Android-app compatibility and other game-changing features. Plus, your PC might not even be eligible for the update."
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 15:32 Firefox was able to follow the link to a Wall Street Journal article but you have to sign in to read it.

I was also using Firefox. And that link still takes me to 'affiliate future' if I LMB click on it. If I RMB click and 'open in new tab' (why does this forum insist on opening links in the existing tab?) it takes me to the right place.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-07 165323.png
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Weird. At this moment in time I can't think of a reason that it would do that.

I am using version 92.0.1, the portable version, and I checked and my browser is still set to that very annoying Edge thing.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well got a notification that my Windows 11 installation was available.
I am going to wait until Monday after all my weeks backups have taken place. Will let you know how it goes.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes I got mine too. I'm not going to touch it though for now.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I thought I would do a piece on the upgrade from 10 to 11 just so people that are so inclined have some info to go on.

Firstly, a day or so after my PC was made 11 compliant a large panel appeared in my 'Windows Update' settings page stating that I was eligible to be upgraded to 11 and I would be be notified when my upgrade was available.
About a week after this A different panel appeared saying that my download was available and two options. Download and Install or Stay on Windows 10 for the time being.

I decided to wait until my full weekly backups has been completed before proceeding. Probably overkill but if you prepare for the worst case scenario it very rarely turns out that way.

My last backup was last night and so at 08:30 this morning I began.
My first order of business was to ensure that my external HDs were all disconnected and then booted up.
I went into the Windows Update panel and clicked on the Download and Install option.

That part the operation took 1 hr. About 20 mins to download and the rest of the time for the installation.
Then I clicked on the restart option.
The first thing that you notice is that the somewhat calm and reassuring blue background of the update process has been changed to a somewhat stark black background.
That update process which included a couple of restarts took about 10-15 mins.

Once finished it restarted into the desktop. What surprised me was that all the icons, shortcuts and the backdrop had been saved in their same positions.
What was more surprising to me was that the Third Party File Manager that bolts on to File Explorer to give additional features, mainly tabs, was still installed, active, and most importantly working with Windows 11 File Explorer.

Now the look and the layout of the settings is something that is going to be different for each person. So it would be unfair of me to pass judgement on these.

What will be important here is that FS9, FSX and MSFS worked without issue. One other important issue to mention is that once you have done the upgrade check Windows Update again. You will find a couple of Windows 11 updates for things like .Net plus there is already an update for 11 itself.
Once you are bang up to date then you need to go into MS Store. This is because that is upgraded for 11 users and I found 12 updates in there specifically for apps running under 11.

Today i completed 3 updates. Two PCs and one laptop. All without incident or glitches. I was very pleasantly surprised.

If anybody has questions I will try to answer if I can.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Steve, that's quite reassuring. Two questions, the first being very important to me.

- I think you have Gmax installed, but don't use it very often. Does it still launch OK? Are there any issues with other FS design programs like ADE and AIFP?

- Just wishful thinking perhaps, but has anything been done to make Windows 10 Mail more acceptable as an e-mail client?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

GMAX seems to be working. By that I mean I can start it but it seems that I need a key which I know I got around in the past but I need to look into that.

ADE, AIFP and AFX all run with no issues. I have not read a lot of reports of lots of proggies not working. Most reports seem to be of the type of why haven't they added this yet, or that doesn't look as good as it did before. So that I regard as a good sign.

I use the default Windows Mail. It is one of those apps that have been updated for 11 but it is not a whole sale upgrade. I would say if you used it before you will use it again, but if you didn't use it before then nothing about the 11 upgrade will change your mind.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I just converted the Ramstein Herks to FS9 and found no issues with the tools used.

One other bit of info. A quick check of the Properties of exe files, specifically at the Compatibility tab there is no compatibility mode for Windows 10. Taking into account that there is for every version up to and including 8 this reinforces what Windows 11 seems to be about.
Improving security of your system, making the OS more efficient and reducing support. I still haven't seen any issues with Program X running on 10 and not running on 11. The current estimate says that 5% of the world is now running on 11 so that is a big enough sample for issues to start coming out.

The one thing that this group is interested in is whether P3D is OK. Somebody that has that is going to have to test that out.
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Hi all,
I downloaded and installed Windows 11 this weekend. Everything seems to be working fine. I flew several hours in P3Dv5.2 and did not have any problems. All of my AI is there, including call signs. I don't use any external scenery, only AFCADs that I have created myself for various airports and military bases. I'm not sure, but I think I'm getting a 10 - 20 percent increase in frame rates. Still checking that out.

My other programs are working just fine, including Firefox.

Hope this helps,
Reggie
Attachments
2021-10-31_11-41-55-553.jpg
2021-11-1_12-3-12-916.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks Reggie.
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

A couple of shots of MAIW AI from P3Dv5.2 using Windows 11. Still haven't had any issues so far. My P3D aircraft in the foreground.
Attachments
MAIW AI KLRF.jpg
MAIW AI - KNTU.jpg
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I put it on my laptop overnight last night. Woke up this morning, did the required restart and I'm running Win 11 with no issues so far. Brand new gaming laptop so I wasn't too worried about compatibility. It's different, gonna take some getting used to.

First task was to fire up FS2020 and see what happens. So far seems to have made a massive difference in how FS2020 runs on my machine. Frame rates are way down but the CPU usage is also way down. Before I was getting FPS in the 60's but now closer to the low 30's. However the CPU is running down in the 40% range now and it would seem at least initially that the game is running with much less strain on the resources.

These are very early observations, will see how it goes over the next few weeks.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Disregard.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log