The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by TheFoufure »

Fokket50 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:09 S-3 Viking is already available.

The A-6 and EA-6 are most welcome, for something British I would suggest the Hawker Siddeley Andover

Of course. I forgot your S-3.

For A-6 and EA-6 there are FS9 version available too. I've them. But not a lot of repaints and no differents armement configs.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The Andover is a good suggestion, but I'm not sure if someone had started it a while back? I have wanted to make the Prowler, but what deterred me was the high polygon count with a 4-main crew. It's also a good suggestion though, even if I have to compromise that detail.

John
flyerkg
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by flyerkg »

I'd say there are quite a few ANG and Air Force repaints of A-7s out there. So I started on a few A-7s several years ago, but lost momentum. The ones I have are VA-25 all hi-viz. I can take a look and see if they are fit for uploading for public viewing and usage.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

John Young wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 14:30 The Andover is a good suggestion, but I'm not sure if someone had started it a while back? I have wanted to make the Prowler, but what deterred me was the high polygon count with a 4-main crew. It's also a good suggestion though, even if I have to compromise that detail.

John
Tim Mayhew started one several years ago but never went beyond his initial sculptings. The version was the HS780.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I recently came across a few pictures of converted B-17's for use as Fire Bombers plus a couple converted for cargo.

I did find one listed as YB-17 with no guns which I downloaded and will do a repaint, but straight away I thought of you guys and wondered if maybe John Young or anybody else thinks it is worth doing a no guns version or even a no guns version of another bomber type to use a fire bomber?

Col.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've only had a quick look, Col, but the B-17 Fire Bombers look to be quite vintage, withdrawn about the mid 80's. Is that right?

I'm not sure of the wider user interest in these aircraft, including available scenery for them, but the real stopper for me is that my AI B-17 was made 11 years ago when I was just starting out with AI. If I were to do anything now with that subject, I would want to build the aircraft from scratch. I think there are better priorities suggested in this thread.

John
Muckinator2005
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by Muckinator2005 »

The YB-17 you mentioned is a whole different plane from John's B-17G (nose, tail, fuselage). Obviously there were a couple of B-17Gs converted to fire bombers from the mid 50s to early 60s. They went out of service in the beginning of the 80s, mostly converted back to their military appearance. Looking at the pictures (https://www.air-and-space.com/Boeing%20 ... ankers.htm) and briefly at the B-17G model I don't think a simple adaptation is possible. Most tankers not only lost their turrets, they also had modifications of the nose section and/or fuselage.
If you really want to have one of these birds flying in your sim I recommend 'a2a_b17_tanker_77.zip' on FlightSim, a repaint from A2A's payware B-17G.

Jean Claude
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Thank you for the replies, it was just a thought, I did download a B17 with guns removed, it flies OK as an AI, I can do repaints so might play with it.

On a side issue I frequent FlightSim website a lot and many times I've referred new players to MIAW and some reply thanking me and love this site, hopefully they too get converted.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Just out of interest I found an Avro Shackleton in my saved files so I did a fictional fire bomber paint, I left off a reg and city name on purpose so as not to tie it to a particular country.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthre ... ire-Bomber

Col.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

shaggy22 wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:22
gsnde wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 06:21 This is maybe the time to share. Some of you know the nice people from the DDR Flugzeug Forum. They have provided me with the whole range of their (mostly) DDR bases to host them here at MAIW. They are all FS9, but if the authors credentials are given correctly, they might be converted to FSX/P3D. They will enrich the Eastern landscape for sure.

From mobile hence short
Funny you should mention those Martin, I've been converting those for personal use of late. Goes well with all that Soviet & NVA stuff I've been putting in recently

Same goes for me guys, I've converted about 10 air bases for myself, though have problems with trees and umlauts!

You may or may not like the way this novice has done it, but am willing to share if someone wants to tidy stuff up and make a proper package? (Or bin it and do a better job.) It's about 1.5Gb unpacked.

Jim
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

A good suggestion for future model could be CH-47 Chinook and all his versions (why not with payload below).
A great challenge for FDE and animation with the two rotors.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Don't we already have Chinooks for FS9, FSX and P3D?

I don't know of any way to animate a helicopter picking up an underslung load and then carrying it off and then returning it to the ground at the destination. I could do it with visibility code so that the load suddenly appears when the helicopter is, say, at 100ft and disappears when it is below that. Or the load could be permanently attached to a cable so that it rises through the ground with a hover-taxi, and submerges into the ground on returning to the parking spot.

Not something I'm overly excited about really.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

By a strange coincidence I'm doing a retro helicopter and I was thinking of the doing an underslung load and but I came to the same conclusion as JY.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
gapeters
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by gapeters »

Tried to search to see if this has been officially requested but I'll throw my hat in the ring and request the Basler Converted BT-67 (Turbine DC-3). Not sure how popular it would be, but there are a lot of them as Missionary, Arctic (Ken Borek) Spook counter insurgency (ISR) in service and still being produced. I say it would be easy to dust off the ACG files and use those bones but obviosly I am not a modeler..just a thought.

Thanks, Greg
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Was the chinese Y-20 requested as a fixed wing project?

More than 20 examples were built.

About the question why a C-17 should be made I can name

HD paintkit with much better Texture quality

The paintkit of the PAI version has problems with fonts. For example arabic fonts.
If you look on UAE or Qatar there are no arabic words, just symbols which look similar to arabic letters and randomly put together.

Better and more realistic animation of landing gear retraction/extension

The Front section and the fuselage should be more wider, but may be I am wrong.
Also new animations could be applied for example Para-troopers, open load ramp on certain altitude and for a certain time, for example 5 minutes.

More Cargo variations, not only tanks, Hum-Vs, also other military equipment.
Especially on bases like Charlston, McChord, MGGuire it would bring some more variations on the ramp.
for example other goods, machines, pallets

@John Young

These are just some thoughts because you asked me what points could be done better or are we missing compared to the PAI model.
I dont say that the PAI is not good. I am happy to have at least a C-17 model.
So if these arguments are not enough for a new C-17 model then i am fine with it.

Regarding C-17 of course other users can put their ideas here, too.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry Asdro, it's taken you more than 9 months to respond to Martins original question to you about the PAI C-17 model and two further questions from me. If you are keen to have better graphics, then why not switch to FSX or P3D? The suggested animations are really not worth the time involved for the improvement you might be looking for. I'm not sure what you mean by animated paratroopers, but if you want them jumping out of the aircraft, then forget that one.

I have no plans to make a new C-17 or a Y-20 for that matter, I'm afraid.

John
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Might be a strange question but how about Zlin 142, 242 family ? Small trainer aircraft.
Is there any CASA C212 model available as well that I am not aware ?
VIVA LA VIDA
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

On the Casa 212 front there is a model from Morné Pieters it has three models, 2x -200 and the -300.
Steve
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

Intruders & Prowlers would be good to have John as already mentioned!
Dave
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yep, I can relate to those Dave. I'm working on something on this side of the pond at the moment, but it's a possibility, particularly if painters join in over time, like the C-130's, to fill out what I would think are large numbers of aircraft.

Not sure about Zlin's though Miljan.

John