The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI Gloster Meteors

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JYAI Gloster Meteors

Post by John Young »

Thanks Menno. Could I ask Tim to make contact please if he would like to pursue the airfield. If not, I'll gladly accept the files.

I think I might split this project into small chucks and release in a number of packages as and when they are ready.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

A not unreasonable thought, John.

This way you can keep it as a side project to do little bits here and there when you need distracting.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 14:59 Tim, by all means see if you can create a retro ETNA from what you have, thanks. That would certainly ease the scenery load on me. The current Google Earth image is interesting. The whole airfield is covered in solar panels, but the HAS's remain.

John
OK, I'm on it John. The airfield was actually quite different in the early '50s, with a runway length of 6000ft and the new pan on the southwest side divided in two between the 96 and 256 Sqn lines. There isn't a lot of info available about it that I've found so far, but I'll do my best to make something in keeping. I'll do it initially for FSX, which should be easily convertible for FS9 and P3D.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Hello John,

Do you think it's possible to also have a F.4 version (tail section of NF.11 and front fuselage of F.8) ?

Thanks a lot.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Why do you want this model Laurent and what year are we talking about? It's a lot of work if you take into consideration paints and scenery. I think I'd rather add in the later target tugs.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 06:30 Why do you want this model Laurent and what year are we talking about? It's a lot of work if you take into consideration paints and scenery. I think I'd rather add in the later target tugs.

John
The F.4 was built at more than 750 exemples.

With all your other models (F.8, NF-11 and T.7) the only one missing for my Belgian skies is the F.4.

I've all sceneries (For FS9) for Belgian scenery of this period.
I''ve buy a photoshop licence and i'm actually learning to paint aircraft.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'll see how it goes after I've completed what I do have planned. Hats off to you for learning Photoshop. That will help.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've almost finished the Martin Baker present day Meteor package, including custom scenery of Chalgrove. All I have left to do are the flight plans.

No airborne seat testing is done at Chalgrove, but from what I have read from several sources, the test aircraft fly to Lossimouth to use the Cape Wrath range for live firings. I want to replicate that but I can't easily identify the Cape Wrath waypoint from my MAIW collection. Could anyone tell me what it's called please?

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

File is “WRA1_P3D_MAIW.bgl” in the MATRIX global waypoints folder.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Aha, that's why I can't find it Pete. I don't have Matrix. Is there a stand alone version that will work for all 4 sim version please? If not, I'll happily make one.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Will have a look in my FS9 archive & see what I come up with !
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Here you go John from the GR4 folder

Gary
Attachments
MAIW_WRA1_Cape Wrath Range_GB.bgl
(469 Bytes) Downloaded 77 times
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Gary. I did some flight planning this morning with the waypoint and all is working well.

The AFCAD files in the MAIW GR4 zip are attributed to UKMIL AI, Gary Barker, Stewart Pearson and Greg Loones. Could I have permission from someone to include a copy of the waypoint in the Meteor zip please?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well that particular afcad has Gary's signature so i am guessing that it is his work.
What I am not entirely clear on is whether stuff created for official MAIW packs, which can be reused, have the same freedom for MAIW Quality releases by its members.
Steve
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

John Young wrote:Thanks Gary. I did some flight planning this morning with the waypoint and all is working well.

The AFCAD files in the MAIW GR4 zip are attributed to UKMIL AI, Gary Barker, Stewart Pearson and Greg Loones. Could I have permission from someone to include a copy of the waypoint in the Meteor zip please?

John
Spoke to Stew this morning, he's happy for you to use it

Jim

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

John Young wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 07:40 Thanks Gary. I did some flight planning this morning with the waypoint and all is working well.

John
Granted John
I made that one anyway

Cheers Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Gary.

So, that completes the present-day Martin Baker packages for FS9 and FSX/P3D, sent for inclusion in the Download Hangar this morning. Please allow time for them to become available.

Both packages include my custom-made scenery for Chalgrove, featuring the ejection seat test rigs:

I have also modified my Beech 200 (RC-12X) model to provide the Martin Baker King Air 200 and 250 that are also based at Chalgrove:

Flight plans are included for all 4 aircraft. Here's a few more shots:

Here’s MARTIN 1 turning south after passing the Cape Wrath range, utilising Gary’s waypoint, before returning to Lossimouth:

Tim is making really good progress with retro Ahlhorn scenery in Germany for NF-11’s. My next job will be to paint up those aircraft for him and also the 4 squadrons of Meteors (F8s and NF14s) at Church Fenton, which will form my next package.

John
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Wonderful stuff, John, really delightful. Chalgrove is not far from me, and I never dreamed it would receive this attention! Such an important site..

Jon G
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Great stuff John
As you know these birds are some of my favourites.

Cheers

Gary
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

John, very tiny detail regarding the King Airs and only due to my history with these aircraft. The RC-12X uses different engines (similar to the 350), so the intakes are different. Does not at all take away from this package featuring the new model.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris