The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI Gloster Meteors

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JYAI Gloster Meteors

Post by John Young »

As you say Chris, it's a tiny difference:

It's not worth changing the King Air models and re-uploading the packages, particularly as the main subject is the Meteors.

John
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by paul day »

Hi John
Just loaded the Chalgrove package and I'd like to say a great thankyou. It may not be the biggest or most modern bells and whistles package but it is a great deviation from previous beautiful packs you have produced. Thank you.

Regards Paul Day
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

My pleasure Paul. It was a bit of a change, the bulk of the work going into the Chalgrove scenery. I have Church Fenton full of retro Meteors at the moment.

John
jgowing
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by jgowing »

This is great, downloaded it tonight. It's good to see (and to make?) something a bit different sometimes. Many thanks for this one. And bring on Church Fenton..

Jon G
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes, the Martin Baker packages were fun to make Jon. It needed a lot of hunting around the net to find the reference photos for Chalgrove and to discover how the flight testing was done. The MB Meteors, I found, apparently only fly 25 hours a year. I've been a lot more generous than that in the flight plans for the sake of users being able to have a much better chance of seeing some movement when then go to Chalgrove or Lossimouth.

Traffic is all finalised for retro Church Fenton and I'm going to start the documentation and packaging next.

John
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

Thanks for the Meteors John. Just installed the Chalgrove package into P3Dv4 and it looks great.
Always liked the Meteor and it is neat to see a couple flying around.

Gavin
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Does anybody else remember the Vintage Pair?
Steve
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Yes indeed, I was lucky enough to see them a number of times back in the day. Maybe one day a Vampire will appear over the virtual horizon..

Jon G
swp53
Captain
Captain

Post by swp53 »

I also saw them many times including the fateful day at the Mildenhall Air Fete when the Meteor hit the tail of the Vampire.
Steve
Past Beta Tester
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

swp53 wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 09:31 I also saw them many times including the fateful day at the Mildenhall Air Fete when the Meteor hit the tail of the Vampire.
Steve
I was there that day as well :(
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I saw them a few times as well but I was not at Moldyhole on that fateful day.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The next pair of packages (FS9 and FX/P3D) featuring my Gloster Meteors, covers the 3 marks used by the RAF in the late 1950’s at Church Fenton in Yorkshire, England. These are the F-8, NF-14 and T-7. They were uploaded for inclusion in the Download Hangar this morning.

RAF Church Fenton scenery is available from the MAIW “Royal Air Force Linton-On-Ouse” package. This updates the original “Military Airfields in Yorkshire” scenery, produced by UK Scenery Design some years ago.

A replacement AFCAD file is included in the Meteor packages for each sim version, that enables operation of the aircraft. In particular the dispersal side of the airfield was then used extensively compared to more recent times. Several RAF “E-Pen” revetments were a prominent feature of the airfield, dating from WW2 and these have been modelled and added to the scenery in a separate .bgl file. A traffic file enables local IFR and VFR TNG circuits plus flights to 3 waypoints so as not to interfere with modern airfield scenery.

In view of the huge number of Meteors produced and the varied types and paint schemes, there is much potential to produce other Meteor packages. RAF Ahlhorn, with other airfields of that era in Germany, is currently being worked on by Tim Collins as a base for my NF11 night-fighters and is to be released as a separate package. The aircraft are of 96 and 256 Sqns:

I have already painted one F.8 and a T.7 as silver aircraft of 56 Squadron, circa 1953:

The squadron was then based at RAF Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England, but unfortunately, the scenery does not exist, certainly for all sim versions and not at all as default. That would entail a lot of work to make from scratch and I will consider that only after I have seen the interest in the Meteor packages featured in this first retro release. I have, however, included these two silver paints in the Church Fenton Meteor zip without aircraft,cfg entries or flight plans. The PSD files for these aircraft will also be in the Paint kit, for users to do as they wish in the interim.

As always, please allow time for the Church Fenton packages to be made available.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Wow I never thought I would see those markings in the sim. To see 609 sqn is awesome, That has to be a first release of AI aircraft for an RAuxAF. Outstanding stuff.
Steve
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

They look great John, I look forward to adding them to my sim. I would also love a Waterbeach scenery to add to my retro setup if you decide to make one.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

There is a Terry Boissel scenery for Waterbeach in FSX, which largely uses Ted Andrews scenery objects. It's available on most of the regular download sites. Unfortunately, the site was mined (for gravel, I think) in the '90s and early 00s, and the resulting lakes are certainly in Orbx scenery and will show through any scenery that doesn't have a full ground poly (Terry's doesn't), so if you use Orbx it won't look great!
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

TimC340 wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 05:24 There is a Terry Boissel scenery for Waterbeach in FSX, which largely uses Ted Andrews scenery objects. It's available on most of the regular download sites. Unfortunately, the site was mined (for gravel, I think) in the '90s and early 00s, and the resulting lakes are certainly in Orbx scenery and will show through any scenery that doesn't have a full ground poly (Terry's doesn't), so if you use Orbx it won't look great!
Ah, I can see a float version coming :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just in case somebody does produce a scenery for Waterbeach the original ICAO was EGUK.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 10:47 Just in case somebody does produce a scenery for Waterbeach the original ICAO was EGUK.
In the period we're interested in here (to 1959-ish), it was MAXK. The current ICAO code system arrived around 1960, when for the last three years of its existence as an airfield it adopted EGUK
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

We learn something new every day.
In which case I amend my previous post to from 'original' to 'previous' to be accurate.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

For a certain value of 'fascinating' - there are other words - it's hopefully of some interest! Actually, if you're going to develop airfields for the 1946-59 period, the real airfield codes are perhaps a bit more useful than the various invented ones which Terry and others used. The Airfield Research Group (https://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/) is a great research resource.