The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI Gloster Meteors

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
essub
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: JYAI Gloster Meteors

Post by essub »

Thank you for providing a NF-11 aircraft only in FS9, that's just great. Concerning Ahlhorn airbase I will check how I did my version, i.e. whether I used an AFCAD file of somebody else or made my own ADE version years ago. I know for certain that I took buildings from free to use libraries. Bit as I said the other day I am reflecting about doing a new scenery in FS9. If I am certain that I can share them I will do so. Hardened shelters and other "modern" items will not be used; I am backdating sceneries whenever possible because my FS9 application is 1957-1959 only. Thanks to all for answering and contributing. One last thing - DH Venoms for AI in FS9 are still missing, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for today

Kalle
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Venoms/Vampires, maybe at some time, but I'm back on the other side of the pond for my next (present day) project.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

essub wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 15:01 Thank you for providing a NF-11 aircraft only in FS9, that's just great. Concerning Ahlhorn airbase I will check how I did my version, i.e. whether I used an AFCAD file of somebody else or made my own ADE version years ago. I know for certain that I took buildings from free to use libraries. Bit as I said the other day I am reflecting about doing a new scenery in FS9. If I am certain that I can share them I will do so. Hardened shelters and other "modern" items will not be used; I am backdating sceneries whenever possible because my FS9 application is 1957-1959 only. Thanks to all for answering and contributing. One last thing - DH Venoms for AI in FS9 are still missing, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for today

Kalle
Kalle, you should be able to import the basic layout of the FSX version of my ETNA into ADE and convert it it to FS9 format, I believe. Most of the flight line buildings could be represented by MAIW library objects. The domestic areas are a bit more difficult, but my buildings for those areas aren’t too complex and you may well be able to convert them in MCX. My hangars are too complex (I had to simplify some stuff to get it within FSX vertex limits), which is why I didn’t do an FS9 version. However, feel free to have a go - on condition that you share it here!

Tim
JBD
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by JBD »

Just downloaded the package and note from the manual that there’s a possibility of a 1980s version of Ahlhorn. I for one would like to express my interest as the location for Det 3 A-10s. The scenery as provided for the Meteors looks great. Really like the bilingual No Smoking warning. Was surprised on first inspection to find RAFG Jaguars parked on the north side. Will install A-10s tomorrow!

John D.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes indeed, I'm not surprised. When Tim was designing the airfield, some of my historic aircraft were also visiting. Not much we can do about that since they are buried in traffic files all over the place, but it does add interest, albeit sometimes a little out of the period.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I absolute love these mix-ups, John. Reality is not what I want in my flight simulator. Nothing goes without your V-Force.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I know what you mean Martin. I know a lot of people like to populate their AI world so they can just sit by the fence of any airfield they are interested in and see what appears. It's the surprise that adds the interest, just as in real world spotting, I guess.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

JBD wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 20:34 Just downloaded the package and note from the manual that there’s a possibility of a 1980s version of Ahlhorn. I for one would like to express my interest as the location for Det 3 A-10s. The scenery as provided for the Meteors looks great. Really like the bilingual No Smoking warning. Was surprised on first inspection to find RAFG Jaguars parked on the north side. Will install A-10s tomorrow!

John D.
John, thanks for expressing your interest! There’s quite a lot of work involved in remaking the airfield for the ‘80s/‘90s, as many of the buildings were rebuilt in that period and a lot was added. I’m not going to commit to anything at this stage, and in any case I don’t have time to look at it before the New Year, but I suspect it will go on the list. Of course, the A10s were temporary visitors and the permanent occupants were Luftwaffe transports and a helicopter school, so there’s quite a lot of research involved and I’m not sure all of the required AI is available.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Thanks John & Tim, Ahlhorn's looking great for me.

Plenty parking spaces I see :idea:
Anyone thought about painting up John's lovely Canberra B.2 as 213sqn B(I)6 s of 1957? A man on a galloping horse would never spot the difference, though according to Wiki, the latter were 0.3m longer (and had detachable belly gun pack and underwing ordnance).

Spoilt and greedy,
Jim
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

Funny you should ask that Jim, I started painting them last night. I don't think John did a B(I)6 model so I'm using the B2. Close enough. Not many pictures of them on the internet during their time at Ahlhorn, plenty from their time at Bruggen. So might not be 100% accurate. Hopefully I can get them finished this week.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

:smt007
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

I was checking ETNA and ETNO out in ADE and noticed a few "black blobs" ie. missing from my LOD database.
I'm pretty sure I've all the libraries referenced in the pdf but I just can't seem to find them.

The missing objects are:

727eef29-4efb-460c-9488-2df1d21d6b64 (ETNA only)

eb1aeb66-4820-b1fd-0d30-9da784452213 (ETNA & ETNO)

Anybody any ideas where I may find these items.

Many Thanks

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I'll check for you Jim. Any chance of a screenshot of the ADE black blobs? That'll help me identify them.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 21:28 I'm not intending to produce any more Meteors
What a shame ! I might have hoped for a Meteor F.4 as a stand alone model (for FS9 and others). It's the same as the F.8 but with the tail of a T.7. This would have allowed me to complete my retro Belgian Air Force. Maybe later who knows ;-)

Regards.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry, I'm not going to get bogged down in Meteors, particularly where the interest is FS9 only. If I work on Meteors, I can't be working on anything else that would have a wider appeal. Variety sustains the longevity of the hobby for me.

John
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

TimC340 wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 15:43 I'll check for you Jim. Any chance of a screenshot of the ADE black blobs? That'll help me identify them.
Cheers

Many Thanks
Jim
Attachments
ETNO.JPG
ETNA.JPG
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ah, that’s people from one of the Ground Crew libraries. I think it may be ‘3D RAF Ground Crew’. I’m on my phone just now, so I can’t see which sim you’re using. I have a feeling that that library doesn’t show in v4/v5, which is why there’s so few items from it.

I’ll get the definitive answer for you in the morning!
essub
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by essub »

Hello Tim,

soory for not being able to answer your message as of Nov. 21 earlier, but I was preoccupied with quite different things. Now back th Ahlhorn. I decided to make a Ahlhorn FS9 scenery based on your FSX ADE by converting your basic ADE layout as recommended. I finally managed to get a FS9 ADE which I am completing now by using the ETNA screenshot provided by Jim. I hope that I have your permission to do so. My conversion attempt did not produce a fully complete layout; some taxiways are missing etc.. But the does not matter because all scenery objects will have to be taken from FS9 sources anyway and placed by ADE9 and/or by using Instant Scenery. I will share the FS9 scenery here if I find the result satisfying - let's see what I manage to produce. Thank you all who made and contributed to the scenery and the AI planes.

Cheers and keep going

Kalle
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Kalle, yes it’s fine for you to convert the AFD. Jim is attempting to convert my buildings too, and I hope he will share the whole airport if he succeeds.
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

Apologies for hi-jacking the Meteor thread, but this is kind of on topic. I have just uploaded repaints and flight plans for the Canberra B(I)6s of 213 Squadron based at RAF Ahlhorn around 1957. I have uploaded repaints for both FSX and FS2004. There is no B(I)6 model available, so I have used the B2 model, which I think is close enough. There a very few pictures available of the Canberra's at Ahlhorn, so the paints may not be 100% accurate.

Del