The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Navy Jacksonville (KNIP) no AI in P3D 5.2

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: Navy Jacksonville (KNIP) no AI in P3D 5.2

Post by gsnde »

Take all the time you need, Tim. Many thanks for your work!

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I'm making progress. Though what started as a simple update to JS's scenery has become a complete rebuild as there have been several changes since John created his FS9 KNIP, and there are many more on the way. The historic Albert Kahn hangars are almost all gone, and there is to be a more or less complete rebuild of the eastern end of the flightline, with a new terminal and tower. I can only represent what's there now, however, and I thought you might be interested in a comparison between my model of Hangar 113 (the last Kahn hangar) and the same scene in Google Earth.

I am actually really looking forward to doing the Art Deco Aircraft Assembly Hall and the associated office buildings. JS hugely simplified them, but P3D allows much more detail to be included.

gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Navy Jacksonville (KNIP) no AI in P3D 5.2

Post by gsnde »

Which one is the photo?

That’s really is a very close representation, Tim. Great job!

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Great work with what is left down on the NADEP Jax area. I found it hard to recognize the seawall as it has completely changed with the new hangars added.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

New hangars? The GE/Maps imagery appears to be from 2015, just after three of the Kahn hangars on the main flightline were taken down. I have the planning document which describes the changes to be made for the new terminal and tower, but I’m not aware of significant changes on the sea wall side. Are there any images anywhere?
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

When I was stationed there the hangars on the seawall for all helo squadrons were Kahn style hangars. From the GE shots, the hangars are different along with associated parking lots.
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrse ... 1970s.html
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ah, ok. I was worried things had changed since the GE shots. Which of course they may have done, but GE, Bing and Apple all show the waterside configuration that John used in his version (which I think would have been about 2010). While I'm not using any of his work, it's useful for orientation and saves some work on scale - although the placing of his buildings is not quite correct per modern photometry. There are still two Kahn hangars at the southern end of the seawall complex, but they're much bigger than the ones on the main apron and are likely to survive the redevelopment as far as I can tell.

Still, I can only work on what I can see! Right now I'm into the finer detail of the ATC/Base Ops building, which is a mess of additions, pipes and AC units!
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

Looks impressive and I hope that you haven't abandoned your project!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

It's a huge project! No, it's not abandoned but it is taking a long time. I have a number of others on the go at the same time which means any one project will take longer to get done, but that allows me to have a change of scenery when I get bored or frustrated!

A couple of updated screenshots:

All the buildings in the foreground are mine. The background buildings are John Stinstrom's. It's going to take a lot of work to replace them all.
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

Wow. The new MSFS is pretty neat but it won't beat being able to fly a C-130 or UH-60 into a military airport full of AI planes and scenery. I'll be sticking with P3D for quite a while and I imagine others will too with great scenery like yours still being in the works.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I run both, the freeware H-60 is coming along and Capt Sim released the external model of their C-130 for some reason. I assume PMDG will release the P-8 mod for flying in and out of NAS Jax. I switched over to MSFS too late to use the FS-KBT P-3s. There is work going on for MSFS AI as I run AIG for my civ stuff as models are updated, still many issues with the MSFS AI engine.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

I am so glad I found this topic. I lost a lot of sleep last week trying to resolve the no-AI issue in both P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5
Thank you.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Blimey. I'd forgotten all about this project! Other stuff got in the way, both sim projects and Real Life (TM), and this got put in the 'pending' tray. Not least because I'm unsure about the MAIW situation with updating John Stinstrom stuff, and to replace every building at this airfield is a huge project - exacerbated by my inefficient and processor-bashing modelling techniques which would see something as large as KNIP reduced to a slide show.

I'm not sure it'll be resurrected, but there's sufficient info and downloads of my revised AFD available in-thread to allow you to get the airfield working and in the right place in P3Dv4 and 5 (and probably 6). I'll post a link so you can download the photoreal background, but you'll need to take JS's buildings and reposition them in ADE on my airfield if you want it to look like the screenshots. If I get time (I'm busy on other stuff just now) I'll try and finish the buildings I was doing and package them with the AFD so that at least the Eastern end of the flightline looks right. As it's not a complete airfield, I won't upload it to the Hangar. However, I may look at it again later in the year.

Edit: The photoreal background I created for my own AFCAD for KNIP (available on a previous post) is available here. It's in P3Dv4.4 format, and should work in that and subsequent versions of P3D. You'll have to adapt John Stintrom's buildings to the AFCAD yourself (use ADE and MCX). I'm happy to share the unfinished buildings I made if there's any demand.

I'm busy with other stuff just now, including trying to make Blender my scenery creation software rather than SketchUp (which is very inefficient), and going back to recreate stuff I've already done isn't high on my list of things to do. But I do still enjoy SketchUp, so I may look at this again later in the year.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Another reason to come here first when an issue pops up. Beta testing in P3Dv5.3 and flying down the NE Florida coast into my old NAS Jax. Same as 1st post, watched with AIG TC and Little Nav map as P8s approach then disappear upon landing. LNM shows all MIL parking fine, but a lone T-1 is parked in the stock fuel point. NIP0, the helo ramp where I spent all my time IRL, is working fine, but slightly off from the river vectors in v5.3. I only have ORBX Global airports and have not re-installed my Mega Scenery Earth Florida package. Thanks for a direction to start heading Tim.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

I would recommend searching the folder that contains ORBX Global airports to see if there is a KNIP there which might only have a few generic parking spots.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Tim's AFD and photoreal background show well in P3Dv5.3 with P-8s working the pattern, just need to move the NIP0 AFD (seawall helo ramp) slightly to match both the photoreal and P3D shoreline. I'm running ADEX 1.79 with pro-key, I'm thinking I can just move the airport ref point to slide the position verse rebuilding the AFD?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Chris, yes you can move the whole airport. My AFD is accurate on position, and the photoreal background should match it exactly. NIP0 was built to go with the original JS scenery, which was based on the FS9 stock airfield which, like most FS9/FSX airfields, is slightly misplaced. With P3Dv5, LM used a much better algorithm for creating and placing airfields so if you start from stock, v5 is a better prospect.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Opinionated opinion: of the various versions of P3D, v. 5.4 for my money is the best one.

Jorgen