The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

A brand new MS Flight Simulator is coming...

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: A brand new MS Flight Simulator is coming...

Post by Firebird »

OK a further quick reveals that there is a hook setting in game and it does indeed raise and lower on the Hornet.
There is not a wing fold command, at least not under what I was searching.
There is a thrust impact when the burner kicks in.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

I'm using the wing fold in the VC, along with the hook which did not drop on the external model. Launch bar not functioning in the VC, could be a key binding. As mentioned, you have to bind the afterburner and g-limit and I think there is a fuel feed issue as I am having flame-outs with 4k lbs left, so maybe another key bind. It's fun with the scenery, just flew the famous Sidewinder low level by NAS China Lake. Like the FBW A320, I'm sure someone will mod the flight controls. Liveries are starting to come in.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

I'll just leave this here for now...

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ian's Lakenheath scenery I take it?? Is that an AI or flyable F-15E??
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

The fact that you can’t tell the difference shows how far we have come, but those are the ACG/JYAI F-15E’s in offline traffic at Ian’s Lakenheath indeed.

Sort of a proof of concept in a very early stage.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Very nice! I love the fact that you can change the time of day or the weather in real time in the sim without having to exit to the menus.

-Mike G.

Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Yeah you can do some really cool stuff with it. Playing with rain and light.

JYAI Eurofighter Typhoon at Ian's RAF Conningsby. The lights were replaced by the default MSFS lights but still need a bit of tweaking.

You can almost touch it.
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

.....Strictly for my own use only, however I thought it worth while mentioning that after several months of configuration,
It is possible to convert former FSX Aircraft * mdl's into the new MSFS gltf model format. Further more, that is without the need for a design program such as 3DSMax or Blender etc. All of this process once set up, is very quick and compiled through MCX.

Whilst it is still early day's, here you can see John's JYAI F-15's sporting all of the original custom animations featured inside of FSX.
The PBR materials do require more tweaking, but already look great when running inside of MSFS. Considering the number of paints needed for AI models, this part is potentially the more time consuming process of them all.

Overall, AI has not had a very good start in MSFS, however it doe's look as though things are going to be addressed and hopefully sooner rather than later. Fully native AI models using the MSFS SDK however, remain beyond our immediate reach and will do so for quite some time yet, if at all.

Very Best Regards,

Pete Beeby.

(* FSX models you are the Author of or models you are using for your own use and not forwarding to other's )

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

These still shots are very impressive, but sadly don’t reflect the lived experience’ of MSFS, which is still a lonely world for the solo pilot. Yes, if you want to interact with the lovely folk at VATSIM, or fly formation with a mate, you can do so, but you can’t do the ‘sitting on the airfield boundary watching the planes go by’ thing, or try and break into a circuit busy with warbird traffic that makes MAIW what it is, and that’s a shame.

It’s actually quite possible to get nearly as impressive still shots in P3D, but they equally don’t represent what you see under normal circumstances - and now LM have apparently broken everything again with v5.3 (which I haven’t been brave enough to install yet)!
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

….Tim, these birds fly, they are AI F-15C’s the exact same as John did for FSX.
If for example, you had Ian’s RAF Coningsby Scenery, ( the non static Aircraft Version ) you would see these Land there. Or if you wait long enough at Lakenheath, you will see the departed Aircraft arrive again to land.

It will be interesting to see what they do to the MSFS AI system in SIM update 8 early in the new year.
As it stands, the know how for the conversion technique Is in place.
On a personal basis I am not going to race ahead and do a complete Aircraft package for Lakenheath, just in case they change something drastically in the update. However, it does look as if some Legacy AI elements may stay as Kai over at AIG,( Kai is the guy from the community who is helping Asobo/Microsoft with the current MSFS AI engine issues ) is using some native FSX models in their packages I understand.

Thankyou anyway for your comments, BTW if you thought the JYAI F-15C looks good, you’d be blown away by the Typhoon, it truly looks something else !

Kind Regards,

Pete.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Oh, that's a bit more promising then, Pete! I know Kai's working on it too, and I have no doubt that eventually we'll get a fully-working and adaptable AI system and I can't wait - though reading the travails of scenery creators over at FSDeveloper really doesn't encourage me to start working on MSFS airfields just yet. Once the SDK is substantially finished and stable, I'll have another look at it.
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

……my thing was originally Scenery, especially anything to do with the ground.
I can do buildings and did the original HAS shelters for RAF Bruggen and Gutersloh Scenery’s as part of the ACG design team, Co-designing with the very talented Manfred Schyma.

The problem for me going forwards is, if I was to turn my hand once again to a Scenery Project ( I designed these Revetments Models for RAF Bruggen for example, but have never been able to use them ) for use in MSFS, we need Aircraft to populate it. It’s like a chicken and egg situation that My former colleague and former Senior designer at ACG, John Young knows all to well !

Regards,

Pete.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

There are plenty of people who are working on MSFS scenery, and some of the payware stuff is phenomenal - as is Ian's Lakenheath and Coningsby. But it does need a whole new repertoire of techniques, and the SDK doesn't make it easy for those of us with limited time and talent! Scruffyduck is working hard on a version of ADE for MSFS, but it does appear to be one step forward, two back at times. However, at some point I will make the leap via a small project of some sort. I am busily trying to get my head round Blender, which is much better suited to MSFS than my beloved SketchUp, but it's bloody hard work!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Payware F-16 is just out. Leaves a bit to be desired like the rest of the payware fighters so far. But it's a start!

-Mike G.

PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

......the superb JYAI Eurofighter Typhoon, ( Converted into MSFS gltf model for my own use, still WIP ), really is hard to believe this is not a flyable model. John's original modelling and texture work for use in FSX, was so good that once you throw PBR at it, those very same models look truly sensational.

Regards,

Pete.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Hey Pete,

The FSX version already looked fantastic in MSFS as you can see a couple of post above yours, but that conversion looks absolutely gorgeous!

You announced in the beginning of the year in one of Ian's threads that you were going to post a tutorial using John's Eagles but then disappeared for a while.

Say, would you be willing to join us backstage to start up a discussion on MSFS development? I know that John would be really interested in knowing what is involved to get his models into MSFS, since he already asked that question before.

I have also been busy trying to get a proof of concept for MAIW MSFS packages. If we can throw all our ideas and findings together that would be a good start I think. Let me know.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I would indeed be interested in getting to know how to get my FSX models into MSFS, especially future ones. It will be the reason I need to buy the sim in the first place and a chance to work out my new super fast broadband in the process.

John
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

@ John & Greg, I absolutely intend to help the MAIW Development team with the AI - MSFS conversion process.

@ Greg, Regarding what happened to me earlier on this year and the FSX model Tutorial, well it was in early communication with
Ian and the topic of Lakenheath, that heralded the early introduction of FSX AI models within MSFS. Whilst the JYAI FSX models did look good, they did have some issues. Much time was spent to correct them, however in the end Ian decided that he would approach John, for permission to convert the JYAI models to Statics and make these part of the packages.

Since then, whilst working on another MSFS gltf model conversion project, I realised Model Converter X could actually do more than I first thought. After months of testing, I made the breakthrough with one of Johns JYAI models, which included working animations and conditional visibility. The model was an exact representation of what it was from FSX.

The MSFS AI system still requires attention from ASOBO as there remains some AI related issue's, however I am much more confident now, that we will be seeing the necessary fixes, some of which may even be included in the next SIM update in January.

I will go into further detail via PM Greg.

@ John, I will contact you shortly via email or PM.

Very Best Regards,

Pete.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Pete, thanks for your post.

Could you summarise the AI issues that ASOBO needs to address or are addressing please? What is it that is stopping AI behaving as we know it in FSX or P3D please?

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

We're going to move the development discussions to another forum on the dev side to keep things organised and out of the PM system.