The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX and converting from 9 to X

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
phantomfreak
Major
Major
Version: FS9

FSX and converting from 9 to X

Post by phantomfreak »

Well, I guess I made the jump from FS9 to FSX. In regards to that converting the aircraft seems pretty straight forward. Now converting the scenery, is there an easy way to convert from FS9 to FSX?
Bazinga!
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: FSX and converting from 9 to X

Post by Jim »

I started out myself with this briefing that includes scenery...
https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing-ro ... to-fsx-p3d

Jim
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Much FS9 scenery will work perfectly well in FSX. My advice is to try it before you muck about with it! There are some things that you will find that you may not be able to correct: textures laid on top of each other will flash or fluctuate between the two, and there's not a lot you can do about that without redrawing the textures. The airfield layout (AFD) can be brought into Airfield Development Editor and updated if necessary, and flattens and landclass areas can be defined much more comprehensively than in FS9. Much of this work was done for Matrix, and I hope that updated scenery will be made available for individual download in due course.
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Will an airport created in ADE using the MAIW Global Scenery in FS2004 need to be modified to use the FSX MAIW Global Scenery in FSX?
Bazinga!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That entirely depends on the person that created the FSX lib.
IF they converted the objects but left the GUIDs of the objects the same then no they would not need to modified. The source specifies the GUID of an object that would be placed in a location. Therefore if the GUIDs of the FS9 and FSX libs were exactly the same then no changes would be needed.
You would need to check the GUID listings to see if they are the same or not.

However, if they have been altered then all you need to do is have the list of the FS9 object GUIDs and the FSX object GUIDs.
Go through the source and wherever your editor finds one of the FS9 GUIDs replace it with the appropriate FSX one and recompile at the end.
It is a process that works I have done it.

The other spanner that might be thrown in is if you have any default FS9 scenery lib objects used. You will need to replace those with default FSX lib ones as well.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

But in the case of the official MAIW Global Scenery Object Libraries, then no you don't need to modify the airport. You can just drop in the FSX version of the objects library bgl and remove the FS9 version. The GUIDs are the same.