The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Hello All,

A little something I did, that I wanted to share with the group. This is an update to the default Randolph AFB in P3d V5. While the default airport had plenty of parking spaces they were all set to a radius of 16ft, hence the reason you would never see any aircraft parked at KRND. This update has increased the parking radii to allow AI aircraft to use the spots as well as added some additional spots for larger aircraft. Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
KRND_ADEP5.bgl
(89.92 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you for this. What is the name of the default Randolph AFCAD? Is it KRND_ADEP5_MP_OBJ.bgl?
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

No problem!

According to ADE when loading stock airport the file is:

APX21210.bgl

located in Prepar3D v5\scenery\0202\scenery
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

You don't want to update the stock airport. To update the P3Dv5 base AFD that goes with the photoreal background and Orbx-made buildings, you need to replace KRND_ADEP5_ADE.bgl which is in \Scenery\Cities\KRND_Randolph_AFB\Scenery.

Edit: just to add that I used a modified version of the John Stinstrom AFD for the east-side parking (it's already dedicated to the various home units), and made my own for the south and west-sides.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

TimC340 wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 12:39 You don't want to update the stock airport. To update the P3Dv5 base AFD that goes with the photoreal background and Orbx-made buildings, you need to replace KRND_ADEP5_ADE.bgl which is in \Scenery\Cities\KRND_Randolph_AFB\Scenery.

Edit: just to add that I used a modified version of the John Stinstrom AFD for the east-side parking (it's already dedicated to the various home units), and made my own for the south and west-sides.
I don't have a file named KRND_ADEP5_ADE.bgl. Maybe it's because I am using P3Dv5.3? The only one I have is
KRND_ADEP5_MP_OBJ.bgl which I am guessing is the one that needs to be replaced.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Ok clarification on how to use this file... Leave the stock airport alone and just place this ADEP5 in your addon scenery and all will work fine... This is not designed to replace to stock airport but rather compliment it by making the parking spaces usable by AI aircraft... Yes I am running 5.3 as well...If you want to use the Sinstrom airport that is fine; however, I chose not to as when I looked at that AFCAD (the one that was P3dv4 converted on sim-outhouse) it only had a couple of parking spaces (about five as I recall) and those static aircraft that I can't stand... This keeps the default airport intact which in my opinion looks pretty good and fills the ramp with a variety of AI aircraft..
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Trying to track down what is causing the elevation issues in v5.3 with this version. I also had the JS KRND in v4 with the same static models and 5 spots. Removed all, but yet I still have hills everywhere, although the AI is handling it fine but "floating" down the runway. I'm sure I've overlooked something in my set up for Randolph.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

If you're using the 'default' KRND, which is a scenery enhancement made by Orbx for LM included in the vanilla installation, even with a replaced AFD there should be no elevation problems. I've found all sorts of elevation problems at other airfields, but usually running them through ADE 1.79, importing (and then removing much of the) stock data, and recompiling for P3Dv5 does often sort it - but not always! I have occasionally had to raise the addon airport slightly above the stock airport. It's not ideal, but at least it works. Using an exclude-specific polygon to get rid of the stock CVX, which would generally work in sims up to P3Dv4, doesn't work in v5 for some reason.

This is the default KRND with my reworked AFD. I think, looking back on it, that actually what I did was simply reconfigure the LM (Orbx) AFD using the unit codes from the JS version.

jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

I am not sure why you would have any elevation issues with this file... As I said all this did was change the parking space diameters of the default airport and add a couple of spaces (no elevation changes or otherwise)... So in essence this is still the default airport which is also the reason there is no cxv to go with this it is designed so the default autogen can show through to complete the scenery... That being stated what you may want to do is get this tool "Simple airport Scanner" and using the P3dV4 line re-direct that to your P3dV5 scenery.cfg file and see if you have any other KRND installed besides the one I provided and or the default... It could be you have a conflicting .bgl out there somewhere..

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threa ... ta.440300/

Also of note yest this will generate a small error message that it cannot find p3dv4/cities/Krnd that is because this app still wants to scan the default v4 install scenery... Just click ok and start looking through as it scans the addon scenery as directed (v5 directories or wherever the selected scenery.cfg points it to...)
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks, will check out the scanner as Tim mentioned I pulled up your ADE in the test ADE 1.79 and all was fine. I have searched for anything KRND,RND, or Randolph (this one got me) in my MAIW v4 folders. As Tim mentioned, I fly around v5 checking mil bases and I do notice several stock airports have elevation issues, nothing major just one can notice short final to land. Worked over my 1st v5 ADE last night with KMOB to get the USCG parking done.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ah - I’ve done that one, with the civil terminal as well. I’m in the middle of Storm Eunice and likely without power for a day or two, but I can put it up if anyone’s interested.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Victory103 wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 18:23 Trying to track down what is causing the elevation issues in v5.3 with this version. I also had the JS KRND in v4 with the same static models and 5 spots. Removed all, but yet I still have hills everywhere, although the AI is handling it fine but "floating" down the runway. I'm sure I've overlooked something in my set up for Randolph.
Chris, there seem to be a few problems with v5.3 that weren't there with 5.2. Owing to a Windows 11 meltdown (caused by a clean-up utility!), I've just done a clean install of v5.3. Quite a few airfields are displaying the behaviour you describe, which I think we've both managed to tackle to some degree but not perfectly. I've also noticed that it doesn't want to display some MAIW scenery objects.

Lots of MAIW (and my) airfields use objects from the MAIW.ABO scenery library, but - at least for me - only some are displaying. No hangars work at all. I've been through the library ensuring every file is converted to P3D v4.4, but no change. And, no, it's not the detail level! My sim is set to Extremely Dense (a bit like me...). With the demise of Matrix, and the loss of my C drive, I've reinstalled all of Matrx's content using Lorby, which has resulted in all the traffic, effects, scripts and AFDs working (with the aforesaid elevation issues) but with only some scenery objects showing. I've been trying since 2 this morning (when I got my electricity back) to get KMOB displaying properly in v5.3, but it just won't play :smt013
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

I have noticed the scenery objects issue in V5 as well... For some reason it just doesn't want to display some things (wish I knew why)... Even after having converted them through MCX, checking to make sure all the elevations and densities are correct ect... It is a head bang worthy frustration... Admittedly as someone wisely said we are all just participants in a paid beta for Prepar3d V.x
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

This is my KMOB. Other than my terminal, almost all the other buildings are from MAIW.ABO.P3D (as distributed in Matrix, but updated to P3Dv4.4 format). The office buildings show, but no hangars or storage sheds. The few buildings that do display are from the Luke object library. And yes, it should be flat, but that's another v5.3 problem that I'm trying to solve via FSDeveloper and the Prepar3D forums...

jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

I am thinking this is a P3d issue; may be good to take it up in the LM forums...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I have. No response. I've got a more promising conversation going on at FSDeveloper, but no solutions have been found yet!
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

You may want to try posting in the "Prepar3D Client Application Questions" area that seems to be where the LM devs pay the most attention... Especially if you can present it to the LM folks as what you believe to be a "bug" in their software...
Last edited by jetpilot1980 on 21 Feb 2022, 18:27, edited 2 times in total.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Tim, did you add a photoreal background? That elevation difference is what I see at most airports in v5.3. Looking closer at Randolph again I see I have the static T-6s still, but have removed all older JS files and used Scanner.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Are we talking about Randolph or Mobile? For KMOB, I added a photoreal background from SBX. For KRND, the photoreal background is the default within P3Dv5. I've become convinced that there's some corruption somewhere in my P3Dv5 installation, so I've uninstalled it tonight. I'm going to make sure all the .cfg files are gone before I reinstall it tomorrow. I'll try putting KMOB in the sim at each phase of addon installation (all by xml) and see at what point, if any, it goes wrong - or right!
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

So I decided to do a little rattling of the cage myself; let's see if this gets any attention....

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=144718