The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Post by gsnde »

Don’t get into discussion with the person in your thread! It will lead you nowhere but give you ulcer and an anger management issue. I have been there, as have many other.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Jetpilot1980,

This is a VERY interesting thread. I have the Simple Airport Scanner beta, but I cannot get it to change to point to the P3D v. 5 scenery.cfg. How did you manage that?

Thanks -

Jorgen
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

And BTW, L-M ought to pay you folding money for that KRND AFCAD!!!

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

gsnde wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 06:02 Don’t get into discussion with the person in your thread! It will lead you nowhere but give you ulcer and an anger management issue. I have been there, as have many other.

From mobile hence short
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the advice, I get the feeling he is not with LM but thinks he is a designated trouble shooter... Btw please (you and TIMC340) feel free to jump in with me any time...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Jorgen wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 09:54 Jetpilot1980,

This is a VERY interesting thread. I have the Simple Airport Scanner beta, but I cannot get it to change to point to the P3D v. 5 scenery.cfg. How did you manage that?

Thanks -

Jorgen
Thanks Jorgen, although I doubt LM cares that I did that afcad... lol fortunately it did not take me a lot of time or effort...

So to answer the question, all I did was change the path up top where it says " P3D v4 scenery.cfg"

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\scenery.cfg

To:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\scenery.cfg

While not perfect it is enough to get the addons properly scanned... Hope that helps...
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Then I wonder what is going on with mine... I used it for P3D v. 4, and when I bring it up now I see lines for the scenery.cfg files for FS9, FSX and P3D v. 1 through 4, and only the line for P3D v. 4 is filled out, just like in your example. But I cannot edit it....

And BTW, it was very polite of you to tell Martyson to shut up like you did in the P3D forum.

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Hi Jorgen,

Thanks, unfortunately I don't think he took the clue... But I think it is now safe to conclude he is not with LM or anyone in a position to be helpful... Just a super fan (guessing by his 13k+ posts) who needs to get a life... As Martin said not worth engaging with. Anyway, still trying to be polite but hoping my latest post will get the message across...

Not exactly sure what is going on with SAS for you but did you try clicking the "..." icon to the right of the line and re-directing it with windows explorer? This is what mine looks like; hope that helps,
Attachments
SAS.JPG
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Your conclusion is correct.

Your screenshot looks exactly like my SAS beta. And yes, I clicked that icon, and nothing happened, it is greyed out.

Maybe it is because I used to have v. 4 installed on this system also.

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Hmmm... Thats odd... I still have P3d V4 installed on my system as well in addition to V5 (dual install) so that should not be an issue... Not sure what to tell you...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Humorous side note the P3d thread just reminded me of this guy... Blast from the past...
Attachments
Clippy.jpg
Clippy.jpg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 635 times
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Now that’s really one from the past! How cool…:-)

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Jetpilot1980, a very good one, a shame it can't be put up in the P3D forums.

I could believe that the reason you were able to change that line in Simple Airport Scanner is that you have v. 4 installed.

Mine was installed when I still had v. 4 installed. I had FSX, P3D v. 4.5 and P3D v. 5 installed, and the maintenance and update effort was simply too great, so FSX and P3D v. 4.5 went. So now I was unable to change that line, and, when starting SAS, it told me no simulator was installed. Trying to make it work, I deleted SAS and reinstalled it, now the P3D v. 4 line is greyed completely out with nothing in it, and I cannot put anything in there.

So I might have to write Jon at FSDeveloper and see if he would put in the effort to make it v. 5 compatible, but I have already done that twice....

Jorgen
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Post by gsnde »

It’s on Jon’s list, but far at the back…

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

jetpilot1980 wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 14:12
gsnde wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 06:02 Don’t get into discussion with the person in your thread! It will lead you nowhere but give you ulcer and an anger management issue. I have been there, as have many other.

From mobile hence short
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the advice, I get the feeling he is not with LM but thinks he is a designated trouble shooter... Btw please (you and TIMC340) feel free to jump in with me any time...
As I mentioned earlier, I brought this up on the forums at P3D at the time I was posting in this thread, but (AFAIK) without response so far. As you say, it has been detailed in many places so I can't believe LM are unaware of the issues. The trouble is it's inconsistent; I have airfields that work perfectly in P3Dv5HF2, and others that refuse to cooperate (see KMOB!).

Owing to an issue with Winzip Utilities Suite (ie it's not compatible with Windows 11 and managed to wipe my registry and the local OneDrive,so I've lost a number of models I was working on :evil: :smt013 ) I've had to reinstall Windows yet again, and P3D is one of the programs that I couldn't re-establish the registry entries for so I've had to do yet another reinstall. I've wiped the v5 directory so that the reinstall is a s clean as possible. I'm going to do a slow rebuild and try and see what, if anything, is causing the problem.

Meantime, I reinstalled v4.5 and KMOB works perfectly in that.

KMOB in P3Dv4.5:

jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

I completely agree with what you are saying it is rather random... For example the P3D KIAD I have works great while the KDTW also for P3Dv4 had the exclusion issues where default objects were coming through regardless... Also when I was re-doing KCHS I found a great rendition of the air carrier terminal but could not get any of the objects to show in V5... Where the rest of the airport showed up just fine... Not sure what they switched up in terms of compatibility between V4 and V5 but it is rather irritating...
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

It is rare for "genuine" L-M employees to answer in the P3D user forums, but it does happen on occasion. Instead they rely on well-meaning volunteers like yours truly (DUCK Jorgen, objects will be thrown at you now!), and the guy that jetpilot1980 ran into.

And yes, this compatibility issue is a very random issue, I just finished installing a bunch of civilian airports into P3D v. 5.3 HF2, where most of them actually worked OK, but some did not. Now I am going to tackle a number of MAIW bases and see what happens...

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

I see what you are saying, looking at the forums, the last time I see a LM person respond was on 3/4 by Beau Hollis and once in a blue I have seen other LM people respond but hard to find their responses and see a true interval... The real irritation about this is, it is a combination of two issues first off ignored excludes and second objects not working (not to mention the third weird thing of road traffic going through ramps and airports but that may have to do with the first issue)... To go through and fix each airport individually and exclude would be a time consuming if not impossible task (MAIW are not my only addon airports)... Not to mention individually trouble shooting the countless scenery objects / libraries that are affected by this as well...

So Jorgen since you are one of the regular volunteers, do they know you and or do you know how to get their attention??? Thanks!
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

I believe they know my name at least reasonably well, not at least because I have also been engaging in flaming a certain individual there.

But rest assured of one thing - they read every single post there, and take notice of it. What they then would do about it then would depend on their overall plans for the simulator, to which I am not privy, and of course also on the resources available.

If you want to get the attention of one specific staff member, I would send a PM to that member, but figuring out who deals with what issues is another matter.

And then there is the question of what their support obligations are - see section 6 in the EULA, according to which they, in very round numbers, have none, unless you have a service contract. And I have no idea about what one of those would cost.

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Thanks for the insights Jorgen! Well at least I know they have read the posts... But as you say I could PM them but who would I PM..? I would think they would be interested in fixing this as it does make their sim more realistic, versatile and useful to the consumer; as while yes they do have some great default scenery areas, others for example the default KIAD look like complete unrealistic garbage that was slapped together in 5 minutes or less... Keeping that compatibility allows the end user to make updates / upgrades on their own without bugging LM for everything and or having this stuff break every time there is an update or patch... But alas I realize I am probably "sitting here preaching to the choir"... Hopefully, they do something about this...
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

What I would do in this case is send a PM to Rob McCarthy and explain who you are and what your background is, and then the issue(s). Add that if it is not really his area of responsibility, could he maybe direct it to the appropriate person.

And FYI, some time ago (I do not recall how long ago it was) there was talk about doing something about providing more parking spaces at airfields, but I don't really know to what extent that was put into practice.

Jorgen