The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MCAS Beaufort KNBC Install

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
HornetMech
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

MCAS Beaufort KNBC Install

Post by HornetMech »

I installed the MCAS Beaufort package for my first attempt at installing a MAIW package into FSX. I'm having a few issues which I documented on the VRS forums here: http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/ ... =7&t=15970
I also looked through the MAIW forums for answers with negative results. I would appreciate any direction or suggestions anyone could provide. Thank you in advance.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: MCAS Beaufort KNBC Install

Post by Victory103 »

I'll take a look at my NBC install since I haven't been in that area for some time now. I'll see about uploading pics of my instal if that helps.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
HornetMech
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by HornetMech »

Thanks again Victory103. I actually have made a lot of progress with this and I believe I have all the scenery now. I think it was just a matter of how the "MAIW Landclass", "MAIW Excludes", "MAIW Airports", and "MAIW Scenery" folders were ordered in the FSX scenery load order. I intend on explaining in more detail for anyone else having similar issues. I've just been too busy with real life lately.
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

Hello,

I use the P3D KNBC
But here the level problem

Any idea?

Zsolt
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Which version of P3D?

In P3Dv5, I cured this by creating a CVX file and changing the airfield altitude to 12m. That places an ALT stub in the scenery/world scenery folder and overrides the default terrain, which often causes problems for third-part airfields in v5.
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

TimC340 wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 13:01 Which version of P3D?

In P3Dv5, I cured this by creating a CVX file and changing the airfield altitude to 12m. That places an ALT stub in the scenery/world scenery folder and overrides the default terrain, which often causes problems for third-part airfields in v5.
Yes this is v5
What is a file?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Do you know how to use Airfield Design Editor? A CVX file is the part of the airfield configuration in the Scenery folder that describes the airfield background and flatten area.

The world mesh in P3Dv5 is different from that in v4, so quite a few FSX to P3Dv4 airports don't work 'out of the box' in v5, and need editing. With KNBC, any editing of elevation you do for the main airport must also be done for the VTOL strips (NBC2 and NBC3), otherwise the aircraft using those facilities will appear to be either floating in the air or partially underground!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks Tim, working my way around my v5.3 install and finding these slight elevation differences (just tested KNFL) and will check out KNBC. I should be able to figure out the CVX in ADE.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Having looked a bit closer at KNBC, you also need to make a specific exclusion for the default airfield flatten. The airfield covers more than one terrain tile, so the best way is to create an airfield background (CVX) then copy it and change the copy to 'exclude specific - flatten maskclassmap autogen'. That should get rid of the default background, but it may not and you may need to add exclude polys (same criteria) to get rid of some elements of it. Once that's done, you can reset the airfield elevation to either the 'correct' figure (about 10.2m/36ft) or reduce it to about 8m/27ft which fits better with the surrounding terrain. If you use Orbx Global stuffs, you might want to adjust the airfield boundaries and fences to take into account the various water features at the NE quadrant of the airfield - using Google Earth Pro will help with that.
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

Unfortunately I don't understand how to edit this, I would leave it to the pros
I'm waiting for the right file
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yeah, OK - understood. It's not OK to share with you the work I've done, as I've modified someone else's work without their permission. It may be that the MAIW Elders would allow it to be shared via the Hangar, but to do it justice would need a complete new AFD, and the buildings relocated (and one or two new ones added) to match a more accurate rendition (have a look in LittleNavMap to see the inaccuracies). That's quite a lot of work, and I have too many other projects on my plate just now.

It's well worth getting and learning ADE to allow you to bring these FS9 airfields into P3Dv5.
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

I understand!
It was a question ...
When anyone asked for different paints, I'dont my answer is to you learn how to use PS ...
I'm sad
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I'm sorry, I think you've misunderstood my message. I'm not criticising you; I'm just saying that I can't legally provide you with the ready-made solution for your problem, even though I have solved the problem myself. I would love to, but it's not allowed. That's why I suggest you have a go at ADE. It's actually a fun process, and you might find you enjoy it. If not, that's cool too.

If I do get around to making a new KNBC for P3Dv5, it will of course be shared via MAIW. But... so many airfields, so little time!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

That makes it somewhat more clear after having to re-read the MAIW FSX/P3D ADE Conversion tutorial many times before in the past. I was initially looking at my own "backyard" (Arizona) in v5 to see how the bases display even with the elevation issues. I see different textures/landclass files from the previous sim, green airport backgrounds or car parking lot ramps even in some of the ORBX GA airports. KNBC is a big one as that portion of the US seaboard is packed with MAIW down to Jacksonville, FL.

@Zsolt, you are a better painter then I am an ADE airport builder, but I do have a whole list of AI repaints that are missing.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Chris, having spent some time on Beaufort yesterday, I found that 11.5m (38ft) was the lowest I could pitch it at and not get issues with the runways disappearing. It's a shame, as with the Orbx mesh installed, 8.5-9m (28-32ft) would look much better, but that gets 14-32 underground, and loads of banks all over the airfield. I'm pretty sure it's to do with the stock airport, and I'm damned if I know how to get rid of it. I might try deleting the MAIW version and changing the altitude of the stock airport and see what that does. I have made that work when the airport has changed its ICAO (or LM have used a false one), but I haven't so far at an airfield I want to replace with a third-party one. I may also try a completely new AFD and see if that achieves anything.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Fixed it. The airfield background exclude poly is actually interfering with the ADE-generated CVX airfield background. This is different from the behaviour in FSX-P3Dv4. I've now got the MAIW airfield working at 8.5m with a flat background.

Edit: correction. No I haven't - something got a bit crossed-up there. these images are with the airport at 11.3m. 8.5m does not work!

Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

TimC340, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am about to install KNBC into P3D v. 5.3 soon....

Thanks -

Jorgen
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Jorgen. No, I didn’t. My computer had a problem which needed a reinstall of Windows 11, and I haven’t got around to reinstalling v5 yet (to get it all in needs probably a week of work!).

Hopefully I’ll get some of it done this week, and I’ll have a look again at Beaufort. I’m not hopeful, though. As reported in the KRND thread in the Scenery Design forum, there are changes in P3Dv5 that ADE doesn’t accommodate and Jon Masterson is unlikely to further develop the P3D app as he’s so busy with the MSFS version. I suspect that curing this is going to need some study of the SDK, and frankly I’d rather have the airfield a little higher than reality than spend days trying to make sense of what Lockheed Martin write!