The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Post by TimC340 »

V5 does have a lot more default parking than earlier versions. Some major civil airports are quite good in that respect, but the default buildings (autogen or generic) are dire. Rex HD airports helps a bit in earlier P3Ds, but it's not compatible with v5. GSX/GSX2 is also helpful with decent jetways and airport traffic (and some very clever stuff if you're flying an airliner), and Orbx Global Airport Pack (which I think is freeware) is also helpful in dragging P3D up a bit from its FS2000 roots!
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Yep, the ORBX Global Airport pack is free, and in addition some of their other airports are free also.

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Jorgen wrote: 08 Mar 2022, 12:42 What I would do in this case is send a PM to Rob McCarthy and explain who you are and what your background is, and then the issue(s). Add that if it is not really his area of responsibility, could he maybe direct it to the appropriate person.

And FYI, some time ago (I do not recall how long ago it was) there was talk about doing something about providing more parking spaces at airfields, but I don't really know to what extent that was put into practice.

Jorgen
Thanks Jorgen, I will give that a try and see if it goes anywhere... In terms of the parking spaces, it does seem they did something about it in many cases, just not quite enough. In some cases, for example KRND while the parking spaces were there, they had the diameters set to only 16ft (less than the wingspan of a Cessna 172) so the AI aircraft could not use them... In this case all I did was a mass reset of the space diameters to make the big enough for the AI to take advantage of..
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

So another minor issue I noticed at KRND is I was getting a double water tower... I believe this is due to the airport scenery and the buildings being separate .bgls and overlapping each other at a point... This latest version gets rid of that issue if you are having it...
Attachments
KRND 2.JPG
KRND 1.JPG
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

.bgl file attached
Attachments
KRND_ADEP5_2.bgl
(89.86 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

I grabbed that and will try it out!

On another note, just a few minutes ago I tried my hand at converting a FS9 scenery - EGXC RAF Coningsby - to P3D, using the AIG FSX to P3D converter.... and it WORKED!!! I know there is a native P3D EGXC scenery out there, but I just wanted to try this one.

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

On the whole it works pretty well; but it is just that, a "converter" not a "fixer" so for example every so often objects do not carry through, it does not adjust elevations so you may get the "sunk in" or "floating" issues ect.. Also periodically it will find files it does not like and refuse to convert them...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

...and two more airports that I just found to be a mess thanks to V5 and its excludes handling Andrews AFB and Patuxent River NAS... Both are MAIW airports so I will try to fix and share here...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

So the quick update while I did PM Rob McCarthy a few days ago, it would seem my PM has not been read yet / is showing in my PM outbox in the P3d forums...
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

And there it will sit, even if it has been read. That's the way the forum software works there.

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Oh got ya... For some reason I thought once it got read it would show up in the "sent items" as opposed to the "outbox".. Thanks
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Since coming over to v4 I started with the recommended add-on cfg method of adding files in the sim with everything located externally from the main P3D folders. In v5, decided to try Lorby's Manager and things were fine, added all MAIW Matrix packages and AIG traffic files, plus flyable v4 models. I clicked something or moved files and next thing I know P3Dv5 starts but then CTD with no event recorded, but would still be hung in Task Manager. Frustrated trying many things, finally used the "Delete Generate Files" and my sim is reset. The good thing upon restarting, KRND is normal in elevation and scenery objects. Leading up to this, I had tried to use the Scan program, but somewhere an old JS Randolph was/is hiding in my folders. The above parking was fine, but the elevation and static scenery were carried over. Any preferred methods for managing files in v5.3?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

For me one trick I try to use is to keep as much as I can in the sim folder itself and I organize my addon airports by geographic region in an effort to minimize how may addon folders I have... I use Lorby to prioritize my scenery in the scenery.cfg but not anything else... One thing I will say is simple airport scanner is not good for scanning external addon scenery folders so for example if you are using matrix which installs to its own addon folder using an addon.xml the simple airport scanner will not scan that it only scans folders specifically listed in the scenery.cfg. A trick to get around that is sometimes just using windows explorer and typing in the airport identifier in windows explorer search function and seeing what if any .bgls pop up that may need deletion...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Also one thing I will say... While I am awaiting VRS to catch up to HF2 which to my understanding is way more stable than HF1++... The procedure I used to start P3d every time..

1. Go to the folder Appdata\Local\Lockheed Martin\Perpar3d V5\Shaders and delete all folder contents
2. Start P3d
3. Turn off Airline AI Traffic
4. Start the Sim in a default load
5. Reposition to any airport I may wish to visit that day...
6. Turn the Airline AI traffic back on...

If that fails I always keep a good copy of my Prepar3d.cfg file in back up replace the current Prepar3d.cfg with the good backup copy... and repeat steps above... Sometimes when Prepar3d changes the P3d.cfg file when loading it makes the sim temperamental...
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

P3D v. 5.3 HF2 is absolutely the most stable versions of P3D I have dealt with, even with my rather (relatively) ancient GTX960 graphics card.

And, like Chris, I keep as many add-ons as possible outside P3D, indeed where possible on different SSDs, which (to me) makes it easier to organize them, and also reduces my simulator load time. I have not used the Matrix, and do not in general like "automatic" installer tools (AIG's OCI included), but prefer to install things manually and where required with the .xml method. That way I know where things are, and can easily remove items that cause issues.

Jorgen
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

After the vanilla reset of KRND with everything set and no elevation issues with the default flight (F-35, KRND start), I added in my MAIW/AIG packages and once again have the elevation issues and static JS aircraft. Downloaded Little Navmap to see the sim is reading the stock .bgl and jetpilot's ADE. I have searched all add-on folders and can not find anything related to KRND/RND/Randolph. Outside of RND waypoints, anyone have nearby Kelly AFB (KSKF) working? The good thing is the AI still fly even with the elevation issues. Some of my other FSX bases like NAS New Orleans or Oceana work fine in v5.3 with the exception of stock autogen that needs to be excluded.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

KSKF was fine on my v5 installation prior to the reinstall. I haven't restored it yet, but I'll let you know...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Victory103 wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 16:52 Downloaded Little Navmap to see the sim is reading the stock .bgl and jetpilot's ADE. I
Even if it was, it would not make any difference as the elevations are exactly the same...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Kelly and Randolph on my v5 HF2. I use my own AFD for KRND. (Actually, for both).

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks for looking. I have the D.French SKF in that was set up to park the MAIW packages as I add the remaining C-5s. I'll continue to explore my set up since the AI operate fine from the updated parking ADE at KRND.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris