The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Post by TimC340 »

Mine’s based on the Tony Dalton scenery, Chris, but the AFD is purely mine. I’d like to have the C5Ms that moved in from Dover, but I don’t think those have been painted yet. The airfield works ok, though the layout makes for some awkward taxi routes. I haven’t edited any traffic files for it, so I was quite surprised to see how much turns up at the Boeing facility. I also have the SXAD KSAT in the area, so between Kelly, Randolph and SAT there’s quite a lot going on.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Whiteman AFB thread is locked, but while messing around in ADE 1.79 beta, I sadly did not make a back up of this file kszl_adep4_maiw prior to tweaking for P3Dv5.3. This was a Matrix conversion so I do not see it in the download section, any of you gents have this ADE you can send my way?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Victory103 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:30 Whiteman AFB thread is locked, but while messing around in ADE 1.79 beta, I sadly did not make a back up of this file kszl_adep4_maiw prior to tweaking for P3Dv5.3. This was a Matrix conversion so I do not see it in the download section, any of you gents have this ADE you can send my way?
This what you need?
Attachments
KSZL.zip
(21.61 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks gents, rookie move on my part for not backing things up when one doesn't know what one is doing all the time!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I had a play with Kelly on Sunday to try and make it look a bit better. As mentioned before, this uses Tony Dalton's buildings so it's not distributable as is, but I think it looks ok. Unfortunately, SBX introduced some big white squares into the ground poly which I need to edit out, but other than that it works quite well. However, the surrounding terrain is a bit uncooperative in v5, so I'd either need to convert it to a sloped airfield or add some blending polys outside the field's southern boundary to smooth it out a bit.

Compare this shot with the one I posted the other day:

There's work to do in this area, but the potential is good:

Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Just a quick notice, since we have mentioned the FSX-to-P3D AFCAD converter earlier in this thread - I just installed MCAS Beaufort in P3D v. 5 and worked it over using the converter, and it works beautifully. The only issue that I have seen so far is grass growing in spots over the northern end of RWY 34, but I can live with that. The Hornets are taxying around beautifully....

Next up, NAF Atsugi!

Jorgen
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

That did not take long, and installation and conversation of NAF Atsugi was completely successful! The only thing you have to remember if you do this is that in the Atsugi Supplement there are 2 AFCADs, and you should convert them both.

Also I will recommend to anyone, no matter what the P3D version is (or, indeed if you have FSX), is to install SamScene3D's Tokyo City scenery. It is payware, but IMHO absolutely worth it, and it can be found here:

https://samscene.com/collections/scener ... sx-and-p3d

If anyone is interested, I will be happy to post screenshots.

Also I had the pleasure, right out of the box, to intercept one of Dee Waldron's NAMC YS-11s....

Now on to other Japanese airfields - I will sum up my findings later.

Jorgen
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Jorgen wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 09:09 Just a quick notice, since we have mentioned the FSX-to-P3D AFCAD converter earlier in this thread - I just installed MCAS Beaufort in P3D v. 5 and worked it over using the converter, and it works beautifully. The only issue that I have seen so far is grass growing in spots over the northern end of RWY 34, but I can live with that. The Hornets are taxying around beautifully....

Next up, NAF Atsugi!

Jorgen
Interesting as when I first saw Beaufort in V5 all the default buildings were showing through the addon scenery... I ended up having to go into ADE do the default object loading and then delete the default buildings to make it look correct; and I started with a P3dv4 compiled airport... Also keep in mind the AFCAD converter was last updated in 2019 which was before V5 was out... For what it is worth I have given my files on the airports that I have V5 updated to Gsnde so he can share them when / if he wishes...
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Jorgen, just wanted to confirm you are referencing using ADE 1.79 to convert an older ADE to v5.3 and I"m not missing out on another scenery tool? As I move around the AI world and see how MAIW/ACG ADEs are looking in v5.3, 1st glance is the stock autogen buildings. After looking over the new JYAI Tigers for those with both sims installed, I had a weird issue with AIFP and airport files, my Spanish Tigers scenery checked, but the airport in the plans (LEAO) was referencing MSFS location that was pretty far off.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

What I am using is the AIG FSX to P3D AFCAD converter, available here:

https://www.alpha-india.net/forums/inde ... opic=24615

So far, in ALL the sceneries I have converted so far - including FS9, FSX and sceneries created for earlier versions of P3D - have been working flawlessly, meaning P3D v. 5.3 HF2 loads that scenery without errors, and I am able to fly out of it. Some of the runways are too short for a F-35 to lift off, making sense when the scenery actually is a heliport....

Now, the question is how close the scenery is to the original, and are buildings etc. in the right places? That question I cannot answer. I would say that what I create by this method is a set of rough-and-tumble, very elementary AFCADs, so the AI traffic has a place to set down and operate from - which is what I basically was looking for.

I should also say that when I looked in the download library and found several sceneries available for one airfield, I got the ones most up-to-date, simulator-version wise.

I have installed the JYAI Tigers, but have not looked at LEAO yet, will hopefully get to do that later today.

Jorgen
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Somewhere in my ailing memory there is a thought that after converting FS9 scenery to FSX or P3D format, you can delete the VTPL, VTPP and VTPX files - is my memory correct, or am I just getting too old?

Jorgen
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes you can, but you need to create a CVX terrain flatten and autogen exclude to replace them - unless the stock flatten works for you. But in my experience they rarely do.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

They rarely do - yes, I have seen that in several places. For right now, creation of those files are beyond my level of experience with ADE, I will have to learn that... but I am having fun!

Thanks, Tim -

Jorgen
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The 'Add Polygon' button creates the CVX files - the green one at the centre of this screenshot (KBKF Buckley AFB):

You then draw the shape of the airfield boundary and select 'Airfield Background' and 'Flatten MaskClassMap ExcludeAutogen Smooth' to create a flat grass background with no stock objects appearing through it. The 'Smooth' bit is a P3Dv5 element to do with creating contoured airfields, and has no effect in earlier versions.

The blue triangle you can see in the second screenshot is an exclusion polygon ('Exclude General' and 'Airfield Background' in the Tag menu) which gets rid of the stock airfield flatten. Sometimes you need more than one (or alternatively copy and paste your airfield background poly and convert it to an 'Exclude General') if the airfield crosses terrain tile boundaries.

Good luck!
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Thanks, Tim, I will have to select a trial-and-error airfield to experiment with! This will probably take a little practice...

I tried to fly out of LEAO in my F-35, and (shame) had to go through some trees... In my P3D, the position is 36 deg. 57.52' North and 3 deg. 44.66' West, altitude 2076', and I have attached a screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot (12).jpg
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Is LEA0 an MAIW airfield? Or is this one you've created? There's no real-life airfield in that position.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Tim, in John's latest Tiger helo package for the Spanish Army. Almagro (LEAO) is a heli-port only, John included his own version since nothing shows in any sim version. I need to look for it in my mil version of Foreflight.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Yep, my LEAO came out of the Tiger package.

Jorgen
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The issue of not being able to modify or eliminate stock airfield flattens in v5.3 has a partial answer, I've discovered. The problem appears to be with shp2vec in the 5.3 SDK - or at least with the way ADE talks to it. The interim solution is to use shp2vec from the v5.2 SDK, which works for flat airfields. It may not work for sloped airfields as there are some new definitions covered by 5.3. I understand it's also possible to use SBuilderX to modify v5.3 CVXs, though I imagine SBX won't create sloped flattens as it's so old.

Of course, I haven't retained a copy of the v5.2 SDK!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK - with much thanks to Martin! - I can confirm that using the shp2vec from the v5.2 SDK restores the ability to clear v5 stock flattens and impose 'flat' flattens created in ADE 1.79. However, the flatten must be specified as 'Airport Background' and NOT 'Airport Backgnd P3D', which I assume uses the new 5.3 capabilities (this is with ADE in P3Dv5 mode, of course). At this point, I haven't tried to create a sloped flatten or airfield. It's interesting to note that the non-sloped flatten defaults to an elevation of 0, so must be manually set to the desired airfield elevation; in other words it doesn't automatically adopt the elevation set in the airfield details. This cause a coupled of ??? moments for me as I was firstly looking at an airfield that's at 1700 metres elevation! (KBKF)

So, the problem of transferring v4 and earlier airfields to v5.3 is resolved for now - for me. I suspect that creating a sloped airfield for v5.3 may need a completely new creation from scratch, but I will leave that voyage of discovery for a few days!

I should add that if you use SBuilder X for creating airfields, it can be updated to use the v5.3 capabilities by pointing it at the right bits of the v5.3 SDK. This is covered in this topic at FSDeveloper.