The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Eurocopter Tiger

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Eurocopter Tiger

Post by John Young »

My current project, in between experimenting with MSFS, is the Eurocopter Tiger.

I have chosen to build the French, German, Spanish and Australian examples, plus, where I can, the scenery and flight plans to go with them. They are for FSX, P3Dv4 and p3Dv5:

The French examples are at Pau and Le Cannet in my package. The Pau scenery in the screen shot is the third-party scenery that is linked to in my French Gazelle's package, but with an additional helicopter overlay from me:

The scenery unfortunately is no longer available, but I have adapted the version John Tenn and I made for FS9:

Le Cannet is also 3rd party, but again, I have also adapted the FS9 version that John and I did for FS9, again with a second helicopter overlay from me:

The German examples are based at Fritzlar (ETHF) and I have spent some time building some custom scenery:

The Tigers are on the south side of the airfield, but according to Scramble, there is nothing on the north side. I have however included some scenery detail there:

These are the Spanish and Australian Tigers, the Australian version having a different air intake:

I still need to sort out some scenery for these Tigers if I can. Al Magro (LEAO), Spain, doesn't exist, as far as I can see, in any of the FS versions, but I think I can create something from scratch. The Australians are based at Robertson Barracks, which I think is a short distance to the east of Darwin International airport, but I don't know if the runway is there or whether Darwin is used. Some Australian Tigers are also based at Oakey (YBOK), but, again, I need to do more research on that one.

A bit more work to do yet, but I think I've cracked most of it.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Eurocopter Tiger

Post by TheFoufure »

Well, to continue enjoying John's magnificent models, I'm going to have to invest in a new PC. I will be able to install FSX and all the latest news. But hey, I'm so attached to my FS9, it's going to shock me.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Always amazed and surprised with the models that pop up in this thread, another cool AI rotorcraft. The Australian version sadly has a short life span real world.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Outstanding as always and always a surprise! Great work!
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Another triumph, John - of course. I just wish the FSX/P3D AI engine would allow proper rotor spin-up and something resembling real helo behaviour. But even MSFS can't do that. XP11 can. Just sayin'...
msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

Outstanding production yet again John...While FS9 is the final version for myself, I will always enjoy watching you continue your contributions to the world!!

Mat
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The Tiger package is all done, having made some scenery for Al Magro (LEAO), Spain, which does not exist in any of the FS versions:

The Australian Army Tigers are based at Robertson Barracks (YRBK) according to the Scramble web site. The barracks are about 6 miles east of Darwin International Airport and looking at the Google Earth image of the base, there is a short helicopter runway and hangars on the north side of the barracks.

The scenery does not exist in any of the 3 sim versions and it is too complex to tackle from scratch, particularly without much reference material to work from. I have therefore painted 10 Tigers for anyone who might have some custom scenery or wants to tackle something themselves.

However, 4 Australian Tigers are based at the Army Aviation Centre at Oakey (YBOK), about 2 miles from the town of Oakey in Queensland and are used for training purposes. This airfield does exist in all 3 sim versions and I was able to create a helicopter overlay to enable the 4 Tigers:

The package (for FSX, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5) has been sent for inclusion in the Download Hangar. Please allow time for it to be processed and made available.

John
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

Hi,
Regarding Robertson Barracks.
There is an FSX version released by Anthony Lynch (of Ants Airplanes) that is designed to go with Orbx Australia.
It can be downloaded here.
https://www.antsairplanes.com/scenery.html
I haven't had a chance to examine the AFD and see if it needs much modification to support Johns Tigers

This is an overhead view of the scenery.

Gavin
Attachments
Robertson Barracks.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Gavin.

I could indeed make that area myself, but it's part of a much bigger complex that I don't want to tackle:

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Just leave the rest out, John :smt002

Another great package released, thank you!
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by paul day »

It might be just me but I think there is a problem with the Spanish flightplans. The flightplans contain Pau/Pyrenees Helicopter Overlay and the Spanish Airports contain the flightplans, so the Airport section is missing, if you get my drift.

Regards Paul Day.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Not quite following that Paul.

The "Airports_MIL_Spain_JYAI_Tiger_helicopters.txt" file is correct for Al Magro:

LEAO,N38* 57.24288',W03* 44.46300',2066

The "Flightplans_MIL_Spain_JYAI_Tiger_helicopters.txt" file reads:

AC#9,19,1%,24Hr,IFR,02:30,02:45,030,F,0019,LEAO,14:30,14:45,030,F,0019,LEAO etc

I can see the Spanish Tigers in the scenery, or I would not have been able to take the screen shots.

What do you see at Al Magro?

John
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

Sorry about the confusion John. I meant in the deconstructed Traffic files in the aircraft folder. I have the Spanish airport co ordinates and everything is fine. Thanks again for another quality package.

Regards Paul Day.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Thanks once again John!

Just a note to point out that the Occitania scenery already has a heli overlay, AFX_LFB2_64b.bgl. It uses the area between your Gazelles and Tigers.
No worries, I just changed it to LFB3 and have the '5RHC' Pumas based there.

Jim
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I thought I'd mention it before any NH90 replacements get added :)
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

While checking the install at LFBP with the Gazelles installed, not sure where I have got this ADE from: AF2_FBP2.bgl. Being an older AF2 and the runway approach lights overlay the parking ramp.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Pass on that one Chris. Why don't you just use what I have provided if what you have added is causing a problem?

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

John, I did and just happened to find this one while testing that I didn't find in my pre-install search for duplicate files due to the file name I believe. More clean up for me as I migrate from P3Dv4 to v5. Tigers and Gazelles playing nice as I check Spain.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Did AF2_FBP2.bgl come with Matrix perhaps?

I've had it disabled since installing Occitania scenery, and don't have any traffic using its spots.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Nope it wasn't part of the Matrix.

I have always wanted to say that.
Steve