The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX crash

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

FSX crash

Post by Wolfhound »

anybody here had the visual.dll problem with fsx its making me crazy and i search google but no luck so far.
I hope somebody can help me with it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FSX crash

Post by Firebird »

I have the Steam version and that does not have visual.dll nor is it part of the Windows 11 system.

Is that dll on your system at all? If so where?
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

FSX Deluxe doesn't have visual.dll either, but it does have visualfx.dll. Could this be the .dll you are referring to?

John
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

Yes that's.what I am referring to
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Well, if you search with Google on the file name you really mean (visuallfx.dll), you will find plenty of information. This might be relevant, although it's Vista:

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/flight ... or.235435/

If it's an effect file that's causing the crash, then remove half your effect files and see if FSX crashes. If it does, remove that half and reinstate the ones first removed. Use a process of divide and conquer until you find the culprit.

John
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

I think i found the problem i saw on some Ai aircraft that the beacons and strobes flashing to fast so i found the original fx files and restored then no problem so far but the most crashes where with egul scenery so now i am testing it see what happens there
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

problem not fixed stil there but now i found this Update for Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package it has something to do with fsx and this package is only a manual download not with windows update
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

I'm getting crashes near EGUN runtime error, could be the same thing
Do you have a link for the fix please
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

That visual thing did not work for me it's definitely a effect error, what I did was sorting my effects folder and that worked for me, but be aware that it will take some time, but it can also be the scenery try to remove it and see what happens
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

This the link to that Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... a6cfdf4f10

hope this works for you
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

This is something that was a big problem back in the day for FS9 but the cause is still the same.

The issue is that FS9/FSX do not like effects that are one use and then shut off. An effect is fine if it runs for the entire time that the trigger circumstances exist. If the trigger circumstances are still active but the effect has ended then you get the crash. It needs an effect that is permanently on even if you can't see it.
It is normally caused when a user imports a non-AI effect for an AI aircraft. The classic example here is a burner.

What happens is that when an AI aircraft spawns in flight the burner will immediately start working and the end of the time window for the burner the game needs it to remain active but it can't and the game doesn't like it.
This is why you will always get the same result in the same place at the same date/time.

There is a piece of code that you can add to the end of a burner effect to insure that it doesn't crash. Everyone of the MAIW burner effects has it.

So the main causes are either a user likes an effect from a flyable aircraft and swaps it in on an AI aircraft, or a user wants a particular aircraft for AI and turns a flyable one into an AI one.
So I would ponder on what you may have done on those fronts.

As an example the first time I had this it happened when I was testing Lakenheath and the cause was a burner for the Jaguar that was spawning near Coltishall. So the cause can be up to 100nm from where you are experiencing it.

The Visual C++ pack will not cure it. You have to find and either fix the problem effect or swap it out for for a true Ai effect.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

i did it like John wrote , remove half your effect files and see if FSX crashes. If it does, remove that half and reinstate the ones first removed. Use a process of divide and conquer until you find the culprit.
It worked for me