The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Post by TimC340 »

jetpilot1980 wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 16:16 So I am now working on Edwards AFB... One thing I noticed is the default static F-16s and hangars on the west end look really rough... I am going to see if a flatten will fix this but no promises will share once I am done... Another problem is in a lot of cases the static aircraft and buildings are build as one scenery object so I cannot delete the static aircraft without deleting the buildings and other objects as well...
You can do it a couple of ways, depending on how the grouped scenery is constructed. The simpler way is to import the bgl into MCX and delete individual mdl files, if the scenery is made in a way that allows you to delete the bits you don't want and keep the bits you do. If the mdl files consist of grouped objects then its a bit more complicated. You have to convert the bgls to Collada files in MCX to import into a modelling program (Blender, GMax, SketchUp) so that you can delete or add specific elements to the group before reversing the procedure. If the modelling program you're using isn't the one the models were made in, this can have unpredictable results!

Before sharing, ensure that you have permission to alter the original scenery.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Yea that is the issue... These buildings and aircraft are a single .mdl file and truth be told I am not a modelling guy / don't have any modelling experience... If you wish to look for yourself the objects in question are in the edwards.bgl file under Prepar3dv5>Scenery>NAMW>Scenery and the object is called MB_F_West_03... In terms of sharing this is just a default update I am planning the same as I did with KRND... Regardless the bigger concern I see at this point is the buildings are not rendering properly I have once again taken it to the P3d forums (and these are default scenery / buildings...) https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 10#p255510
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I think that has been the case since the FSX version of Edwards came out, the statics are modeled with the rest of the complex. One of the 1st things I do with some of the non-MAIW scenery if the author added the static aircraft is to remove them in ADE.

Jorgen, I have custom hangars in my Elizabeth City scenery, are those not showing in your set up?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ah, I didn’t click that you were talking about default scenery!

Are the Edwards scenery objects the same ones that have been there since FSX? I’ve noticed several textures from that era that don’t render reliably in v5 - one of the most annoying is runway markings which disappear depending on the viewing angle.

I don’t have a lot of time this week as I’m busy with Falklands 40 stuff elsewhere, but if I get a chance I’ll see if I can break it down and remove the statics.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

I believe that these are the same objects from FSX /ESP or at least they look exactly the same... That being stated I also believe this may be related to the other issue we have been seeing of some scenery objects that rendered / displayed properly in previous versions of P3d not showing properly or at all in V5.. Good news is this time it is affecting default objects so perhaps that will get LM's attention since it is after all their scenery...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I had a quick look. It was easy to remove the F-16s. It would take a bit longer to recompile the scenery bgl - and there are quite a few models with static aircraft in, so I reckon it would be worth removing all of them to give the option of using decent AI in their place. I reckon a day's work should do it - but I don't have a day available just now!

This is the hangar with the F-16s removed. Ignore the lack of texture; I just didn't have the texture folder available to MCX when I imported the edited model.

jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Yes that does look very nice! Glad to hear it was easy... My bigger concern is that hangar and the one next to it also have V5 rendering / displaying issues... In sim they look transparent hence the reason I took this issue to the P3D forums...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I suspect that putting the bgl through MCX and outputting it as a P3Dv4.4 file might address that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if LM never converted it from the MS FSX original.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Indeed... But it also raises the question how many other default objects are just like these ones...??? So that means LM either needs to find and fix them all, or once again give V5 better backwards scenery compatibility, which I believe is most likely very doable as this was not an issue in V4...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Having had a quick look,the vast majority of the textures have been converted to PBR. Those two hangars seem to be the only ones with the transparency problems, so I'm not sure what they've done with the textures for them. I'm also not sure what can be done about it - converting the models to P3Dv4.4 didn't solve it. You could replace the hangars or just the textures, but there's a particular style ('early FSX') about this scenery that would be hard to match.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Which is probably what is affecting all the other scenery objects as well... Perhaps LM will finally step up to the plate and do something... We can hope...
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Even in the generic.bgl object library several objects don’t have the right transparency set. I posted it here, but nobody acknowledged it.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, it does look as if they created some kind of batch converter to turn the the old textures into PBR textures, and some quality within those old textures creates an unwanted transparency on conversion.

Edit: I've just had a look at it in FSX and it works fine there. It's definitely exactly the same scenery; all that's changed is the texture format. It might be worth substituting the FSX 'Hangar 1207 main' textures for the P3D ones.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

While that might explain the issue with this one particular instance; what about all the other FSX objects (admittedly many non-stock) that refuse to show up....???
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

So here is my first cut of updating KEDW; the static F-16's are still in place; I was able to get rid of two of the ugly static B-1s on the south end, however the one sticking out of the hangar is still present... As with the KRND file just put it in the addon\scenery folder no deletions or other modifications necessary...
Attachments
KEDW_ADEP5.bgl
(136.35 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Jorgen wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 08:14 And there it will sit, even if it has been read. That's the way the forum software works there.

Jorgen

So on an interesting note... I looked in my PM boxes on the P3d Forums and I see that the PM I sent to Rob McCarthy did in fact move from my "outbox" to my "sent items" folder... While I have not gotten any actual response that does make me think it was at least opened if not read... We can hope...
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Chris, sorry for not getting back earlier, but I was in Denmark for a while.

The screenshot I posted was taken sitting on the threshold, ready for takeoff. Where will I see the custom hangars in the Elizabeth City scenery? I could taxi there or fly over.

Jorgen
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I'm not sure what version Chris has, Jorgen, but I can confirm that the FS9 MAIW KECG has no custom scenery. The MAIW Matrix version has one hangar from the Global Object Library Generic (ABO69) added to the default airfield layout (which includes some generic buildings), and some added parking. There really isn't a lot else!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

TimC340 wrote: 05 May 2022, 06:54 I'm not sure what version Chris has, Jorgen, but I can confirm that the FS9 MAIW KECG has no custom scenery. The MAIW Matrix version has one hangar from the Global Object Library Generic (ABO69) added to the default airfield layout (which includes some generic buildings), and some added parking. There really isn't a lot else!

And on that topic, I took a break from Finningley and Jax to knock these up. KECG is quite a simple airport, so I might put it together as a new package in the next month or so. The curved-roof hangars and the warehouse building are mine; the rest is (at the moment) from the MAIW_ABO library. The airfield background is via SBuilderX. The sim is P3Dv5.3.