The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti got jaggies help

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti got jaggies help

Post by col1948 »

I did at one time get rid of the jaggies but as time went on and various installs later I have them again. I searched various threads and tried different settings but still they remain.
I'm on Window10 and this is for FS2004 by the way, I've tried windowed and full screen and various settings I've found online, but wondered if anyone else has this graphics card and cured the jaggies?

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti got jaggies help

Post by Firebird »

I posted the solution for this back in 2012 on this forum https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/topic/11048.

It still works even today. I know because I still use it. I may have tweaked the parms once or twice over the years as the cards I used got more potent but the principle is the same.

Now having said this, you will need to load the profiles, or any profiles that you create yourself, after every update of your graphics driver.
The reason is simply that you are modifying parms for your game in the graphic driver. Change the driver and you need to re-apply the mods.

Try it.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve, Thank you again, I changed my settings to match the ones on the link you added, but I also have more settings that are not on that link, I'm wondering if any of those are still effecting things.
After I changed my settings to the ones you provided I saved them as advised and I also re-booted, now it has improved but still got jaggies but they are a fine tooth if that makes sense not large tooth jaggies, still not got the straight lines so to speak.

That is why I asked if anyone had the same graphics card as me and if they had jaggies and rectified them.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The thing with the jaggies is that they are affected by anti-aliaising.
The first and most important thing is that the AA Mode MUST be set to override any application setting. The reason is that FS9 has AA built in but you need to override this to solve the issue.

The AA setting should be at least 4x S but can be more. The AA transparency should be at 4x SuperSampling but can be more. If you increase them then they will appear better but it will come at a cost of performance. The chances are that your board will cope quite easily with more, especially if you cap your frames at 60 fps.

The point is that the settings that I set up would give everybody an obvious increase in quality w/o affecting their performance too much.

You can play around with those as much as you like and if you find a sweeter mix than export those settings and reload them.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Thank Steve again for all your help, Something else has happened after tweaking my settings, I lost the Alt+Z to see the speed, altitude etc.
I read to turn of something (Forgot what now) in Nvidia, I did that and still not working. After I alter the settings I do a restart as well by the way, tried full and windowed mode. What annoys me I once got rid of them but it was years ago and I've upgraded my drivers and had a few versions of Windows since then.

Col.
hgschnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hgschnell »

" I lost the Alt+Z to see the speed, altitude etc."

Isn't it Shifz+Z ???
Guenther
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Yes sorry Shift Z, wasn't thinking straight.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

So are you saying that Shift-Z isn't working?

Also have you been tweaking FS9.cfg?
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve sorry for the delay, yes Shift + Z not working, thinking back I did edit the cfg a bit ago but can't think what for, and yes I should have backed it up. I also may not have used Shift+Z in the meantime so never noticed it wasn't working.
Do I need to do a fresh one, if so I will have to back a few things up, like traffic tools and a few more. would hate to do all that again?

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK. Looking on the net it seems that quite often that a rogue amendment to the .cfg file causes this.

So rename your FS9.cfg and then run FS9. This will cause a new cfg file to be created.
Now what you need is to compare the original and new cfg files, see the differences and copy across only what you know to be good.
A compare proggy is most needed here as it will be easier to spot the differences.

I hope that it isn't as simple as you altering the setting for Shift-Z to something else for your keyboard settings but if you have the compare proggy will show that.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Thanks Steve, I have a big monitor so I can compare by having the files side by side, I remember what I did it for now, I was on Flightsim and someone posted what they did in the cfg and I copied it, thing is he was a reputable simmer who models aircraft etc.
Having said that as you know not everyone's PC is the same so on his it may be OK.

Col.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Well I got both cfg's side by side and all was the same till I got to a certain point, it was totally different.
Anyway I copied over the different part from the new CFG to the old and renamed it back. Still no different, so again I did a search and low and behold I found a thread from 2011:

Go to Settings / Assignments Scroll down until you find the entry named Coordinates/frame rate (cycle)The key assignment is likely missing so just recreate it by selecting Change assignment and entering the proper keys. Shift + Z is the usual assignment. Hope this helps.

The key assignment was there so I just reset to default and it worked, got it back.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad you got it fixed.
The key part of the comparing is not to just copy over what is different - all that will do is re-add the issue. What you need to do after that is read the differences and try various bits until it doesn't work.

A compare program is far more useful than looking at two texts side by side. The main reason is that every compare program will highlight differences. It would be easy to spot an altered key assignment. I have lost count of the amount of times that I have spotted an altered parm that way.
Steve