The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

North American RA-5C Vigilante

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: North American RA-5C Vigilante

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 17:28 I should be ready to upload the Vigilante packages this weekend, but I need a small piece of information to complete the manual. That's a link to the package that has the "Florennes_Object_Library.bgl" in it. I would have thought the Belgian Alpha Jets package, but not so, I think.

Could anyone tell me the package please?

John
Hello

I've checked the 3 MAIW belgian packs (European F-16's Part 1A: Kleine Brogel AB, Belgian Alpha Jets, Belgian Air Force 15th Transport Wing) and this file is not from them.

I've also checked the EBFS scenery I've (FS9) and this file is not from it.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

:shock: To my surprise it is not included in any of the official MAIW packages
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

The nearest I can find is :-

Florennes Object Library_P3D.BGL

which is in MAIW_EUROPE_OBJECTS from Matrix.

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks all, for trying to find it. I know it's in Matrix because Tim used it for Key West, but I need to find the source for FSX and P3D non-Matrix users.

Don't worry, I'll just slip a note in the manual to say "source unknown".

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, it's in Matrix. It's from what appears to be a John Stinstrom scenery for EBSF, and it's only one item - a guyed aerial with this GUID: c32b9664-4356-5fa8-3aae-81842449ec3d. As it's only the one item, and it's on the periphery of the airfield, it's not really that important. I've had a good look around the Interwebs and failed to find the original JS scenery anywhere, so I wonder if it was originally in the WoAI times?
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

TimC340 wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 02:44 Yes, it's in Matrix. It's from what appears to be a John Stinstrom scenery for EBSF, and it's only one item - a guyed aerial with this GUID: c32b9664-4356-5fa8-3aae-81842449ec3d. As it's only the one item, and it's on the periphery of the airfield, it's not really that important. I've had a good look around the Interwebs and failed to find the original JS scenery anywhere, so I wonder if it was originally in the WoAI times?
I never hear about John Stinstrom EBFS scenery. Is this scenery available anywhere (not matrix) ? I'm from Belgium and I'm interested.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

It appears to be only available in Matrix, and therefore in P3Dv4 format. It’s possible you could find an FS9 version in the long-discontinued WoAI packages, but I’ve no idea where you might find those now. I’m surprised it’s not in the Hangar. I know that there is some discussion about whether to make the Matrix files available in the Hangar; I have no idea how that is progressing.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I did some searching for this. Over the years I have tended to 'do a Jim' and keep all the MAIWPRE, MAIWBETA and MAIWREADY packages in case of issues.

I checked on my system and I do have installed scenery for EBFS which seemingly was created by John Stinstrom. It was intended for a package called 'Euro F-16s Part 1B Florennes'.
I have a few versions of the scenery but there was no package that got even as far as a MAIWPRE pack. So it was never actually released. I also checked online and I could not find that he had ever released it himself.

So whilst I am willing to share the scenery that I have itself I am not happy about releasing any persons work that they may consider still a work in progress. If somebody was in contact with John and he was happy to either release it himself or allow us to make it available then I would be happy to do so.
Steve
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Firebird wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 08:21 OK I did some searching for this. Over the years I have tended to 'do a Jim' and keep all the MAIWPRE, MAIWBETA and MAIWREADY packages in case of issues.

I checked on my system and I do have installed scenery for EBFS which seemingly was created by John Stinstrom. It was intended for a package called 'Euro F-16s Part 1B Florennes'.
I have a few versions of the scenery but there was no package that got even as far as a MAIWPRE pack. So it was never actually released. I also checked online and I could not find that he had ever released it himself.

So whilst I am willing to share the scenery that I have itself I am not happy about releasing any persons work that they may consider still a work in progress. If somebody was in contact with John and he was happy to either release it himself or allow us to make it available then I would be happy to do so.
Hello. Thanks for these infos. I hope John will be OK for the sharing of this scenery (And I suppose there is a traffic file for EBFS F-16 with it).
I cross my fingers to receive a positive answer to have this Belgium scenery.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 08:21 So whilst I am willing to share the scenery that I have itself I am not happy about releasing any persons work that they may consider still a work in progress. If somebody was in contact with John and he was happy to either release it himself or allow us to make it available then I would be happy to do so.
Steve, it was released in Matrix, so I assume that permission was given at some point. Of course, it's only in P3Dv4 format in that vehicle, and I know that TFF is after FS9 files. We could compare the content of the packages you have with the Matrix example to ensure you share the released version if you like.

Edit: this is a distraction from John's Vigilantes, and isn't relevant to them, so perhaps this should be moved to one of the scenery topics.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

The issue with the FS9 version that was in development was the underlying photo scenery. It was very pinkish and quite poor in many places. Some people were not happy with it but John didn't know how to solve it, so the Florennes F-16 package with John's scenery never got out of development before he vanished and the package was put in dormant state.

Since the scenery was ready and the background photo scenery is removed anyway during P3D conversion, the scenery was included in Matrix for P3Dv4 with a new background poly.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The RA-5C Vigilante's for FS9 and FSX/P3D have been sent for inclusion in the Download Hangar.

The packages feature 12 aircraft from 3 US Navy squadrons that were among the last to retire. Both land-based and carrier-based models and FDE’s are included, along with wing/nose-fold and LS-43AI Photo Flash pod options.

When not embarked on carriers, the last aircraft to retire were based at NAS Key West in Florida. Flight plans, Key West scenery and suitable carriers are also included or linked to downloads. My thanks to Steve for problem solving the original MAIW AFCAD file and Tim for the FSX/P3D scenery. An FSX/P3D carrier is included along with a link to an FS9 download.

A paint kit has also been uploaded in parallel. I've painted some of the last of the Vigilante's in service, but there is plenty of scope left to do some of the striking schemes of the mid 60's and early 70's including the Vietnam camouflage scheme. I hope our painters might enjoy doing some of these.

As always, please allow time for the packages to become available.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Out in the open now
Cheers,
Martin
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Gorgeous! Absolutely Gorgeous. Thank you John!
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

beautiful looking plane, thank you John
Fokket50
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Fokket50 »

Another great bird, and a big thank you for also providing a FS9 version.
Menno

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford
fltaccent
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by fltaccent »

It's a good gift for FS9 after a long time.
Thank you very much.
f47420
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f47420 »

Hi guys .I having been looking at this great aircraft { thanks John } Looking at the paint kit and I can't seem to save a texture once I've worked on it ..It won't let me save it as a BMP file ..Any idears why this is so ..

Imagea-5 by Mark Walsh, on Flickr

MW
Mark W
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

f47420 wrote:Hi guys .I having been looking at this great aircraft { thanks John } Looking at the paint kit and I can't seem to save a texture once I've worked on it ..It won't let me save it as a BMP file ..Any idears why this is so ..

Imagea-5 by Mark Walsh, on Flickr

MW
Did you flatten image before trying to save?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
f47420
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f47420 »

No .Never done that before ..What does that do to the texture ??

MW
Mark W