The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Helicopter bases

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Helicopter bases

Post by crushnik »

Flew across the country recently and I noticed that there isn't much helicopter activity in MAIW scenery. At least not in the Matrix program I downloaded last year. Wheeler AAF in Hawaii didn't have anything, neither did Fort Campbell or Mayport Naval Station. Jacksonville NAS only had P-3 Orions. Is this something I need to supplement with scenery packages on this site, or are some bases just not covered at all?

Thanks,
Chris
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Helicopter bases

Post by crushnik »

I left out that I use Prepar3d version 5.3
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I am not an authority on the contents of the Matrix but basically any base that was specifically converted for P3D is included.
If you are in any doubt just look in your \Military AI Works\MAIW_NA\MAIW_NA_AIRBASES\Scenery folder in your Matrix installation.

Now to address one place you mention specifically, Mayport, that was covered in our Navy Jacksonville Seahawks v2 package. This was originally done for FS9 but included FSX models. However, there was no update for scenery and if you are using 5.3 there is no guarantee that even FSX scenery would work properly, as I understand it.

So as the matrix project has terminated you are left with a choice of either someone else or yourself converting that scenery or building new scenery.

If it is just the traffic you are after then just look through any of our packages and the chances are that you can fairly simply convert the textures and plans from that package to be applied to the P3D compatible models.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Resident rotary guy, as Steve mentioned start with the JYAI Seahawks packages which populate Navy Jacksonville, Mayport, Norfolk, and North Island. On the Army side, search the download section or check out the thread for the JYAI Blackhawk and find most of "click's" work to include massive packages covering Ft. Hood+Texas Guard bases, Ft. Polk, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Carson, Hunter AAF, Marana AAF, Cecil Field, Customs, and finally USAF Pavehawks. Menno has a large Ft. Campbell package that has all the converted rotary AI models (NBAI AH-64,CH-47, JYAI H-60s) flying around the ranges and blends with JYAI "Killer Eggs" (MH-6 Little Bird) package. A sprinkle of National Guard units have been done as well. The USCG wasn't left out as both Jayhawk and Dolphin packages exist.

I started Wheeler in FSX just never finished it as well as Ft. Riley, KS and tried both Ft. Lewis WA plus Ft. Drum NY. As with the Campbell package, I had planned to not paint each individual tail# and just stay with unit. Combat Aircraft magazine is currently running a series of all mil aviation units per state, I'm trying to use that and scramble to fill in the gaps on the smaller Army Guard/Reserve units. If this was complete, there would very few areas without some form of rotary AI in P3D.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

It's great to hear that people are still making scenery here! I had found the Little Bird package but I'll look for the other files that you two mentioned.

Dumb question, but what is the process of "converting scenery?" Would that be like feeding a BGL file into Model Converter and popping out a P3D v5-friendly format or something? I am a terrain designer mostly, and can drag-and-drop library objects into Airport Designer and make a decent-enough airport, but converting isn't something I'm familiar with.

Thanks, Chris
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

Firebird wrote: 27 May 2022, 20:58 Now to address one place you mention specifically, Mayport, that was covered in our Navy Jacksonville Seahawks v2 package.
I downloaded the FS9 package, installed the scenery and converted the AI flight plans to P3Dv5 format. When I transferred the traffic I saw there was already an FSX version installed and P3D told me there were now duplicate Blackhawks once I imported the FS9 models. I wonder if the problem is that there are helicopters flying around (I ran into a flight of four after taking off from Jacksonville), but no choppers are parked on the flightline and Mayport is still empty.

Maybe they are looking for parking spots that aren't there on my simulator?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK, you can't have FS9 models in P3D, so remove them.

You have done the first thing which is to download the package. This is the first step as outlined in the article here :-
https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing-ro ... to-fsx-p3d

You basically, need to ensure that the plans are converted to FSX/P3D standard and that you are using the FSX, at least, versions of the models and that you convert the scenery. The guide above should cover it - I think.

Have a look at that and see if becomes clearer or if you still need pointers.
Steve