The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Moody A-10 Repaints

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Moody A-10 Repaints

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Greg. I sent you a subsequent message to say don't use them as I'd failed to check that all the ground items were disappearing correctly!

It was a bit of an overreaction to Martin asking if anyone had converted this item and that he'd be happy to collate a package for a future MAIW release. I knew I'd done something with it a few years ago, but I failed to check that the conversion was up to scratch. It isn't! Obviously I don't want to put anything out that doesn't have permission and I was assuming that MAIW already had that, but moreover I don't want to put anything out that I wouldn't be happy to use myself - and it appears my conversion skills are less wonderful than I'd hoped!

I'll put it on the back burner as the Moody repaints for the JYAI A-10 have now been released, but I will keep practising the conversion for potential future use.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Tim,

Please keep at it and don't back burner it....! As while it is nice to see Moody in JYAI there were other units that were exclusive to the RWAI A-10 that I am sure many of us would love to see in P3d again... Thanks!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I will have another look at it in due course, as it's a skill I'd really like to do more with - really as an exercise in using MCX to its potential, which will eventually have knock-on benefits for MSFS once the AI engine is sorted out over there.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

TimC340 wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 15:09 Hi Greg. I sent you a subsequent message to say don't use them (...)
Ah sorry, I missed that.

The files are removed from the upload queue. When you're happy with your conversions, please take contact with Martin via PM to see if we can include them in a MAIW conversion package. Releasing via MAIW solves the copyright issue since we have a blanket permission from Rysiek.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Greg wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 08:14
TimC340 wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 15:09 Hi Greg. I sent you a subsequent message to say don't use them (...)
Ah sorry, I missed that.

The files are removed from the upload queue. When you're happy with your conversions, please take contact with Martin via PM to see if we can include them in a MAIW conversion package. Releasing via MAIW solves the copyright issue since we have a blanket permission from Rysiek.
No problem - I'll keep trying to get it right!
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

TimC340,
Can you advise which aircraft shelter from the library you are using for the A-10s?
Thanks!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

It's Pensacola Object Library006, expanded to 1.1 times normal size.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

TimC340,
Thank you Sir!
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

Hello Tim,

Is it possible to have your basic AFCAD/ADE bgl file of Moody ? (with objects)

Is there any Mark Griggs A-29 repaints for Moody ?

Thanks a lot.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

TheFoufure wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 18:08 Hello Tim,

Is it possible to have your basic AFCAD/ADE bgl file of Moody ? (with objects)

Thanks a lot.
No, not at the moment. It’s not complete in any sense, and I really don’t want to be putting out sub-standard stuff. It’s not a priority for me, but it is on the list and I will get it done (for P3D and possibly FSX) eventually.

The work I did to get it to this level took a couple of hours, no more. There are no buildings on it as yet other than what can be seen in the screenshots, but the MAIW libraries don’t adequately cover what’s needed for this very large airfield, so it needs a whole load of new buildings.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Just wondering if anything further came of, or if there was any news on the RWAI A-10 conversions...? Thanks
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I haven't progressed the RWAI conversion as there seemed little point - and it needs skills that as yet I don't possess!
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Sorry to hear that... I for one was rather looking forward to seeing those birds in P3d again...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The problem (for me) is that the aircraft has items of ground equipment which are present when it's shut down. In FS9, they disappear at (I believe) the 15 minutes to go point, but that signal isn't available in FSX/P3D. John Young has alluded to the issue several times in discussing his AI designs, as it was a very useful feature.

Obviously I don't have access to the original model, so any amendments need to be done in MCX. Ideally I'd remove the GE altogether, but my MCX skills aren't adequate as yet and, tbh, converting FS9 aircraft is not a rabbit hole I wish to visit. There are people far better than me doing it, and in this case we have a superior native P3D model to use from JY. Of course, many period repaints haven't yet been completed for John's A-10, but making repaints is probably a more profitable exercise than converting the RWAI A-10! Just viewing the two models side-by-side in-sim (even with the RWAI transparencies brought up to P3D standards) shows how much better John's model is.

I am knee-deep in converting and improving old sceneries and doing new ones, and I am far too easily distracted whenever I find a new airfield that I think might have potential (Google Earth and Little Navmap are my personal downfall). Just today I've played with LIRL and KVOK, neither of which were on my radar before and neither of which I really need to do. But I did because I could! Taking on aircraft as well would just guarantee that even less would leave my workbench for public consumption than currently does...