The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Old Sarum

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Old Sarum

Post by TimC340 »

I've been asked to help out in a project for the museum at Old Sarum which involves a virtual reconstruction of the hangars (and possibly the entire airfield), possibly to be used as the source file for 3D-printed models or model parts.

I have some images of the Belfast Truss hangars in a number of locations (Hooton Park, Filton, Duxford and Old Sarum), and I now have some contemporary (1917) plans of some buildings typical of the period, but not much else. Google Maps has 3D imagery of the current airfield, but of course a lot has been lost over the years. Does anyone have knowledge of other potential source material?

It's quite possible that this could result in a '3D Walkthrough' of the camp. I'm not sure if this would read-across to a P3D or MSFS reconstruction directly, but the buildings could certainly eventually be made available in a library.

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Old Sarum

Post by TimC340 »

This project is moving on, along with moving goalposts! It's now going to represent the hangar at some time nearer when it was built (1917). The Belfast Trusses are a geometric nightmare to construct! I suspect this one building will end up near 100mb in size, so I don't think it will be usable as-is in our sims, but a simplified version would be possible.

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Old Sarum

Post by TimC340 »

This is what they look like in place (within SketchUp, so shadows are crap):