The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

In Search Of (ISO) Static Aircraft Objects (FSX/P3D)

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
texxasal
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

In Search Of (ISO) Static Aircraft Objects (FSX/P3D)

Post by texxasal »

I am trying to populate a couple of military airfields with static aircraft parked in various locations. This is being done 1. To prevent the vast empty wasteland of most military airfields (Yes, I've used AI aircraft for many years, but that causes it's own set of problems). 2. Provide a visual reference for people parking on the ramps, other than "shadow" aircraft from the background scenery (Photoreal scenery from MSE, or BlueSky), and transparent aprons, taxiways, and runways.

I've received numerous suggestions about how to download this, and install that, and run this with those parameters, etc.

I don't have any desire to learn 50 ways to "Build The Watch". I just want to know the time.

I'm looking for static versions (to be placed as Scenery Objects (bgl and texture) by ADE.

I am looking for an EA-18G Growler (parked, gear down, canopy closed, etc.), and a P-8 Poseidon in the same configuration.

Nothing more complicated than reasonable visual renditions of those aircraft in "Scenery" format Folder name>Scenery & Texture sub-folders

Regards

Al :mrgreen:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: In Search Of (ISO) Static Aircraft Objects (FSX/P3D)

Post by Firebird »

I don't believe that static models are currently distributable for those types.
Maybe the best thing to try is using SAMM by Don Grovestine http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=SAMM.

It is designed to turn models into statics. Give it a try.
Steve
texxasal
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by texxasal »

Firebird wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 16:52 I don't believe that static models are currently distributable for those types.
Maybe the best thing to try is using SAMM by Don Grovestine http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=SAMM.

It is designed to turn models into statics. Give it a try.
Right you are. That's the one with the 21-page user manual. And, when you follow the instructions, it brings up screens that aren't documented anywhere in it. That's one of the build-the-watch products I talked about. Not to mention, the website referenced in the "Manual" is 404'd.

What is "Currently Distributable"? What are they, copyrighted, classified, payware?

Thanks so much for all your help

Al
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The way things work is that if you model an aircraft and make it available to the world in general you are the copyright holder.
This means that only you can modify it, distribute, or even create schemes for it unless you specify that this person or that organization has permission to carry it or make it available in other forms.

Now once it has been released, you are open to anybody getting hold of the model and messing around with (i.e. converting it to another sim version). Nothing you can do about that. UNLESS they then distribute without your say-so.

So what I was referring to is that nobody has modified those aircraft into static models - that I am aware - and released them with permission of the copyright owner. In simple terms there maybe be people out there that have done what you are looking for but they are not allowed to share them with you.
Steve
texxasal
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by texxasal »

OK. Sounds like the barristers' full-employment act of 1978 is alive and well.

So, I guess making updates/corrections/changes, etc. to Desmond Burrell's KNUW Growler scenery is probably some sort of violation, and I should expect the copyright police to come knocking on my virtual door? Oh well, I've been accused of far worse by much better folks.

After more than cursory searching, I find the author of this package vanished from the flight simulation scene many years ago.

Anyway, You guys do what you do the way you do it. I'll just try to fly along in my little simulator airplanes, and will change whatever I think is needed to enjoy my hobby.

Thanks for at least taking the time to respond.

BTW, I was around when people stole Jim's ramp lights and put them on their payware scenery. So I guess this is what we get because somebody is both greedy and dishonest. Serves us all right.

Regards
Al Rosenberg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I see your viewpoint, Al. Once you make something available somewhere and somebody takes liberties with your work without asking it does become a different situation.

We do not consider ourselves police but we do try to uphold the rights of individuals. This is the reason over the years that so many people have been happy for us to use their work in our packages. Our packages have been broader because of it.
There have been creators that have refused us over the years but we respect their rights and don't package their work up in our releases.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

In my experience, Al, SAMM works really well and it outputs in exactly the format you're looking for. On top of that, you can input models from any version of Flight Simulator (FS8/FS9/FSX/P3D) and get a workable output. Sadly, Don is unwell and no longer actively supporting his programs but any problems you have will probably already have been dealt with over at FSDeveloper.

I've used it to convert high-poly flyable models to static objects, as well as much simpler AI models, and it 'just works' as the saying goes!
texxasal
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by texxasal »

TimC340 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 11:57 In my experience, Al, SAMM works really well and it outputs in exactly the format you're looking for. On top of that, you can input models from any version of Flight Simulator (FS8/FS9/FSX/P3D) and get a workable output. Sadly, Don is unwell and no longer actively supporting his programs but any problems you have will probably already have been dealt with over at FSDeveloper.

I've used it to convert high-poly flyable models to static objects, as well as much simpler AI models, and it 'just works' as the saying goes!
Thanks. I'll give them a try over there

Regards
Al Rosenberg