The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Flight Simulator is already running

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Flight Simulator is already running

Post by Firebird »

Gents,
I need your help. Today I was loading up FS9 to look at the new pack for the CMV-22Bs.

What I got was a requestor saying :-
"Flight Simulator (or Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator) is already running.
Please quit other instances and restart Flight Simulator. "

Now despite a quick look online i can't find anything - yet.

Now interestingly enough, I updated Windows 11 with the latest patch yesterday. I think that it was over a week ago that I last ran FS9.
Other info is that when i looked for the App in the Windows settings there was no entry for Fs2004.
Nor could Fs9 or Fs2004 be found using search. The reg entries are still there.

Also Geforce Experience no longer shows it as being available. So it is installed and registered but it looks like Windows 11 now ignores it/blocks it completely.

Anybody else got similar issues, or better still any info in overcoming the problem?
Attachments
MAIW_0365.jpg
MAIW_0365.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Flight Simulator is already running

Post by TimC340 »

Is there anything relevant running in Task Manager?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Tim, No nothing that is obvious.
It is really weird. The obvious first check was to reboot, which i did. The first thing I did was run FS9 but the error came up again.
The system seems not to know about it, but AIFP has no problem finding it which proves that the registry is not the problem.

I have found a couple of reports relating to a similar failure with FSX which points you to doing a repair, which i can't do as the system doesn't see it.
The obvious answer is to try a reinstall but I wasn't able to do that before because FS9 does not like dual monitors. Even if I unplug one and go through the process there is nothing to say that it will fix the problem if it is a Windows thing.
I take weekly backups of my FS9 system but annoyingly the latest backup was taken 10 hrs before I found the issue.

This is why I am hoping that others have a clue. Is it a Windows 11 thing or is it a corruption? The thing that I don't understand is why that error message would appear if it was a corruption.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK, well it's not Win11. Although I rarely admit it, I do have FS9 installed and working on Win 11 (I just checked - yes, it still works!) just so I can see what some of the old scenery was supposed to look like.

My Windows build is 22000.739. (21H2).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks for having a look.
I'm on 22000.778, with the latest patch.
If you get to that one and you are still able to run it then it would seem to be a corruption although I would have thought that it would have crashed rather than bring up a nice safe requestor. That just seems to be too deliberate.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

You’re obviously on a different update cycle to me! If it updates and changes anything, I’ll let you know.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This update was one that you have to go and check for. i am not on Insider or Dev or anything.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have a slight update on this subject.

So as Windows 11 now says that FS9 is not installed, even though it is there and the registry entry is there, I thought that I would try a complete re-install. I had the perfect opportunity at the weekend as I got myself new monitors.
The one thing I did learn about FS9 installs on 10 and 11 was that it does not like multiple monitors. So if I am changing monitors it was the perfect time to do it.

The install goes fine but it will not run at the end of the install, neither with the no cd patch nor without. So it does not create the fs9.cfg. The same requestor comes up. The only difference is that now Windows 11 thinks that FS9 is installed.

So I think this proves that the latest couple of versions of Win 11 blocks FS9 running either accidentally or on purpose. My Win 11 version is now 22000.795 .

So unless anybody sees something about this issue and finds details on how to get around this then I can no longer FS9 and therefore my support will be limited to memory.
Steve