The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Anybody want more (simple) scenery?

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Anybody want more (simple) scenery?

Post by Jim »

Firebird wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 05:54 Users always want things immediately, but some times it is prudent to wait to see if any bugs crept it.
My vote would be to wait a short while.
No arguments Steve, but thanks to Greg for being more patient than I am, I re-uploaded packs 3-6 with small edits before publication. I thought it would be less bothersome for any downloaders if I reduced the number of errors from the start. Packs 1-2 will probably get an update soon based on comments above.

On another note, browsers of the Scenery Download section may berate the tediously boring descriptions. Sorry folks I'm not in marketing, I was just trying to think of future random visitors searching for the airfields by name or code. My spellings might miss out a few though!

I am also aware that stuff is missing, like correct lights, navaids, taxi signs and custom buildings (plus Iraq & Syria are a bit sketchy). This is just basic stuff. However, take it as read that any of you can make improvements and re-upload here, hopefully with some new AI/repaints. I will be both pleased about that and jealous of your skills :oops:

Jim
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

OK, I'm uploading v1.1 updates of the two European packs.

Europe (modern):
---------------
UG24 - Elevation changed from 381m to 351m and changed in text notes. Preload ALT file (for Prepar3D v4\Scenery\World\scenery) provided if required (though I don't see any difference).

1GGG - Text notes now point to the required custom scenery since this heli overlay does NOT align with stock scenery. Disabling the custom scenery's CVX file makes UG24 look better for me though.

LSFL - The Retro scenery pack already contained Rosieres Air base in France. Nowadays this is plastered in solar arrays (where hardened shelters don't get in the way), so I've done likewise to create this point of interest. The original runway is still underneath.
Team DDR Flugzeugforum's Werneuchen_2013 scenery provided me with the solar objects, but for my own use without permission so not included. You are invited to use whatever arrays you think fit for your own use; and it's probably unwise to try to land a Jaguar here any more...

Europe (retro):
--------------
LR81 - NEW retro scenery added for Deveselu AB, Romania. Nowadays there is a NATO missile defence system on this site, and I have little information on the original, so it's very vague, but was apparently a major MiG-21 base (of the non-Lancer variety).

Jim
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I've also uploaded some supplementary East Asian airfields.
One I forgot I had, one experimenting with a lagoon and 15 in China not previously done as they have no ICAO codes.

So no more excuses please about not doing PLAAF models and repaints 'cause there's nowhere to fly them to :smt005

Jim
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Nice one, Jim.
Steve
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Hello Jim,

For FS9, I would like to ask if it is possibe to add

Al Bateen OMAD
Abu Dhabi North East Sweihan Airbase OMAW.

The North East Airbase is a quiet new and is beeing extended.

For Qatar i would like to ask for

Dukhan/Tamim Air Base.

The code is QA-0001.

The airport has become very large according to google maps. The Qatar AF has based the Rafale Jets there.

Thank you!
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Hi asdro, I don't mind making an attempt at them.

In my ADE for P3D, I can see a very basic OMAD, but I'd probably start from scratch as its runway is too long.

Abu Dhabi NE is in P3D as a runway only, but is coded "OM11", so I'd blank that with a dummy and make an OMAW from scratch.

There's nothing in P3D for Dukhan/Tamim of course. I could code it QA01, or perhaps OT01?

In general, my plan for FS9 is to wait for my queued P3D uploads to appear and wait a few days for any immediate issues.
I've already recompiled them all for FS9 after changing a few items (see above), but remember I cannot test them. Hopefully most will be usable after some tweaking by FS9 users themselves. I do not intend to do that myself.
However, if you tell me the parking spot diameter in FS9 for the Rafale, I can make that one special tweak for you :wink:

Jim
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

1MAD.JPG
Capture.JPG
Firebird wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 09:16Nice one, Jim.
Cheers Steve, Can I ask you for some guidance?

What is the policy on re-jigging stock scenery? Contrary to my quick reply to astro, I found it simplest to squeeze up the stock OMAD runway & taxiways to make them fit the real life background from Google Earth.
My (P3D) scenery is pictured and the blue poly to the SE is where the stock runway stretched to. I've rebuilt the apron areas from scratch.

(BTW for anyone interested, I deliberately kept the polys tight as this airport is in a built up area. However, starting it up in P3D, its surrounded by sand!)

I have ANOTHER QUESTION for anyone on heli overlays. I've taken my lead from Google Earth as usual in that there is a helicopter runway on top of the north-western taxiway, so I made a "1MAD" overlay for that. In a test FP, helis take off ok heading NW and turn clockwise, but just disappear off to the east instead of landing back at the overlay. Any ideas? I've kept the runway short and narrow (125 x 1.2m) and centred the overlay off to the west a little.

Jim
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Most people when they start scenery start with the stock afcads. Taking into account that a lot of places are just basic runway layouts and those with buildings are default lib objects placed almost haphazardly then there is no issue with making these available.
What you are not doing is taking some individuals work and modifying it without permission.

On the actual AI front it sounds like you could possibly very close to an area boundary where AI is spawned and disappears. There could be other causes as well.
I would suggest firstly programming a flight of something arriving at the overlay and seeing if it does arrive. If it does then that is the cause. if it doesn't arrive then there is something more complicated at work here.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

For the inappropriate surroundings problem, the easy answer is to use landclass polys in ADE to have autogenerated urban (or whatever) scenery around the airfield.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Firebird wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 05:32 Most people when they start scenery start with the stock afcads. Taking into account that a lot of places are just basic runway layouts and those with buildings are default lib objects placed almost haphazardly then there is no issue with making these available.
What you are not doing is taking some individuals work and modifying it without permission.

On the actual AI front it sounds like you could possibly very close to an area boundary where AI is spawned and disappears. There could be other causes as well.
I would suggest firstly programming a flight of something arriving at the overlay and seeing if it does arrive. If it does then that is the cause. if it doesn't arrive then there is something more complicated at work here.
Thanks for clarifying Steve.

Heli AI is mostly working after all. I use a JYAI Gazelle and an SBAI Mi-17 for testing. Due to the proximity of OMAA, they were taking long detours and I didn't have the patience to see them come back into view :oops:
I can fly them in OK from OMAA too. The SBAI model does have a problem I've seen elsewhere in that it can get stuck in a holding pattern. I'm going to let that go for now though.

Jim
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

TimC340 wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 08:11 For the inappropriate surroundings problem, the easy answer is to use landclass polys in ADE to have autogenerated urban (or whatever) scenery around the airfield.

Cheers Tim,
Dunno what I was looking at before, but it's passable (for me) now. I have also tried your suggestion, but the landclasses I tried were too green, so I'll leave it (pictured). Interesting that the formal gardens' green bits are there.

Jim
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

OK, until I get around to asdro's other two, here's where I'm at.

The FS9 version is untested. I recommend FSX users try my P3D versions (as FS9 versions have a few missing features); I hope they work without having to recompile in ADE.

The terminal building I chose is from Lens EZ Airport Buildings Vol.1, but you can drop in whatever you fancy until a custom one appears. Likewise you could probably make more appropriate hangar choices.

I was surprised to find F-16s around the place, so made some spots for them.

Enjoy!
Attachments
OMAD FS9.zip
(39.95 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
OMAD P3D.zip
(42.16 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Whoops! Apologies asdro in mis-typing your forum name a few days ago. I just noticed.
I'd like to say it was the fault of autocorrect, but more likely late night Tu-22 coolant.

I hope you can tweak Abu Dhabi Executive with ADE for FS9, and get Jon's police helicopters into "1MAD". Please remember to adjust the parking spot sizes.

Jim
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I'll not update my European scenery library files with these, but here are a couple of extras. For P3Dv4.5, but hopefully ok for all P3D & FSX?

Maristaeli Catania - Fontanarossa helicopter add-on for the stock LICC airport. I've called it "1ICC".
Italy: N37* 27.5304',E15* 03.7554',12.19M

Plus retro Starfighter base EHYB Ypenburg which has been completely redeveloped since the 90s.
Netherlands: N52* 02.6616',E04* 21.8244',-2.00M

Jim
Attachments
EHYB Retro.zip
(72.73 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
LICC heli overlay.zip
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I do have updates queued for Asia.

The three air bases asdro suggested, three North Korean helicopter bases (plus a POI suggestion of their runway through a hill), and four in the South China Sea.

The latter have my kindergarten attempts at photo-scenery. Two of the four are not optional with stock P3D as its land vectors are not defined. One though, has a more convincing YouTube video by someone using FS9, but I don't know where that scenery can be found.

Speaking of which, here are ALL my sceneries recompiled, BUT NOT TESTED for FS9 users to try and get working for yourselves if you are keen. Since they are only half usable, I have not sent them to the library.

Jim
Attachments
East Asian.zip
(3.65 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
African & South American.zip
(981.18 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Seem limited to two attachments, so here are more FS9 versions.
Attachments
Highway Strips.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
European.zip
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Last of the FS9 attachments, including asdro's requests.
Attachments
South West Asian.zip
(2.41 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
Retro European.zip
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by Jim on 25 Jul 2022, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Would be great if someone had a free-to-distribute object library of Chinese air base buildings. North Korea's Pyongyang Heliport seems to have been rebuilt and really needs some custom stuff too. Meanwhile I gave it these and look what turned up for the opening ceremony :D
Attachments
Y-5.JPG
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the FS9 versions ;-)

Regards.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

What you've all been waiting for :wink: More of my junk has been uploaded and will hopefully appear in the scenery downloads soon.

Again various air bases for P3Dv4.5 modern & retro. I think most should work in FSX, but not tested.
Again feel free to make your own improvements and re-post on this site if you wish.

I mostly point to MAIW & stock P3D libraries objects, but also some from AVsimRus and now from DDR Flugzeug Forum. I hope that is OK: I do not include any objects themselves in the package. I will pull any that are objected to.

Here in advance are untested FS9 versions:

Jim
Attachments
FS9 versions of pt.7.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 59 times