The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI F35

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Geurtse75
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: JYAI F35

Post by Geurtse75 »

Hi Firebird,

It is the latest files of Steve B. The package fsx where you refering to from 2018 is working fine, that's why I was looking forward to update with the latest textures. Noormally there is always a fsx version with it when John post something. This version I've read that for other it was working. Thanks for the help
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The textures from Steve B are not from me, as we have said. I don't know what sim version he made them for because I don't have the download.

Do the texture names JYAI_F_35A, have a ".bmp" or ".dds" suffix?

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

Geurtse75 wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 08:09
TheFoufure wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 10:03
Wolfhound wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 09:22 Will the recent repaints for the F35 also be available for fsx or not :?: :?: :?: :?:
The recent F-35 repaints are all in DDS format. This format is compatible for FSX I think. I've converted them in BMP for my FS9.
How do you convert the files to fs9 or in my case to fsx, what programm/ app do you use?
I use Texture Manager or DXTBmp.

But if you use FSX you don't need to convert the textures from the 9 zip files. Theses textures are in .dds format supported by FSX.
I convert them to .bmp to use them with FS9.
Geurtse75
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Geurtse75 »

John Young wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 09:59 The textures from Steve B are not from me, as we have said. I don't know what sim version he made them for because I don't have the download.

Do the texture names JYAI_F_35A, have a ".bmp" or ".dds" suffix?

John
Hi John,

They have a dds image
Underneath the creation date, author and version.
I have read it would work under FSX, but i have my doubts now.
Are you considering to update your original JYAI F-35 with the latest new versions if you have the time ofcourse?

" Created: 04 January 2022Author: Steve BarkerCompatibility: P3Dv4Version: 1"

Eric
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

If they are .dds textures and they are the right way round Eric, they should work fine. Open one in Dxt_bmp - is it flipped vertically?

No plans to update the F-35's for FS9, FSX and P3D, but I might do something for MSFS in due course.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK. So this is the state of play.
The FSX versions of the models original released work without issues. They use dds textures, the same as the ones that Steve provided.

So from what you have told us it is an issue with the new textures rather than a setting in game.

So looking at the textures, apart from the fact that they are 2048x2048 rather than the 1024x1024 like the originals they seem the same.
However, In windows the thumbnails look different. I would try converting one using a tool like TextureManager, to dds keeping the same size to see if that makes a difference. If not try reducing the size using that tool to 1024x1024.
Steve
Geurtse75
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Geurtse75 »

Hi Steve, I will try what you wrote and will give it a try by converting the files through textmanager
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have just seen the 9 repaint downloads from Steve Barker. I have a number of concerns about them which I have raised with our Library Manager.

John
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Wolfhound »

Maybe apart of the textures may not work, the Dutch and the USA textures work just fine in Fsx
Geurtse75
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Geurtse75 »

John Young wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 16:09 I have just seen the 9 repaint downloads from Steve Barker. I have a number of concerns about them which I have raised with our Library Manager.

John
Hi John,

Other good ideas didn't work either like the text manager.
Thank you for contacting the library manager about your concerns.
PLease let me know if you hear something?

Thanks to everyone on this site as well

Eric
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

For the time being I have made Part 9 of the set unavailable until the issue John is referring to is resolved.

As for the textures I can't see anything wrong with them. Mind that I did not check in the sim, but in AIAE.

How to install:

1. Get John's download "JYAI_F35As_FSX_1.zip"
2. Extract the folder "JYAI_F35A International" and save it under a new name, e.g. "JYAI_F35A International Repaints"
3. If you use the FSX version, delete all textures and the aircraft.cfg. They are not present in the P3D version.
4. Copy the aircraft.cfg attached here into the newly created folder

This results in one folder with 249 paints for me, all visible in AIAE and without any error notification. The aircraft.cfg is from the package part 9 and temporarily made available here.
Attachments
aircraft.cfg
(100 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I too didn't find any issue with the textures when I looked at them. One of the questions I do have is whether the model files included in the repaint upload have been converted to P3D format. If you then use those models in FSX, rather than the models in my original zip, you may run into a problem.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

The models should not be included at all, and even less in any altered form. I am waiting for his feedback, and I am sure this will soon be cleared in a satisfying way for everybody. We will remove the models from the last Zip and all is fine.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

gsnde wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 19:31 As for the textures I can't see anything wrong with them. Mind that I did not check in the sim, but in AIAE.

I saw that the originals worked OK in AIAE which is when I started looking purely at the textures themselves and saw differences when viewing in Windows.

However, the info about converted models could very well explain the difference if they had P3D only features active.
Steve
Geurtse75
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Geurtse75 »

Tonight I will check the repaints ifnthe work when I combine it with the original model of John, files of 2018
Geurtse75
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Geurtse75 »

TheFoufure wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 10:06
Geurtse75 wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 08:09
TheFoufure wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 10:03

The recent F-35 repaints are all in DDS format. This format is compatible for FSX I think. I've converted them in BMP for my FS9.
How do you convert the files to fs9 or in my case to fsx, what programm/ app do you use?
I use Texture Manager or DXTBmp.

But if you use FSX you don't need to convert the textures from the 9 zip files. Theses textures are in .dds format supported by FSX.
I convert them to .bmp to use them with FS9.
Do you know to what DDS file I have to save it as: DDS DXT1, DDS DXT3 or DDS DXT5? I am a real amateur as you can read.
I changed one, but how I did it is still a question.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The files are saved as Dxt5, as they are in the repaint zips and in my original packages. The only difference is that the repaints are 2048 x 2048 pixels rather than my 1024 1024 pixels in size. You shouldn't need to change the format for FSX.

The important thing to try is the repaints with my original models. Have you done that and what was the result?

John
Geurtse75
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Geurtse75 »

John Young wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 21:11 The files are saved as Dxt5, as they are in the repaint zips and in my original packages. The only difference is that the repaints are 2048 x 2048 pixels rather than my 1024 1024 pixels in size. You shouldn't need to change the format for FSX.

The important thing to try is the repaints with my original models. Have you done that and what was the result?

John
Hi John,

Finally it seems to work, I have treid to saved them as Dxt5, but DXT3 is working. I have restarted the downloads from you and thats working now. Thank you all for the support.

Eric
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

Looking for the JYAI F-35 paintkit
Available?

Zsolt
Firebird
MAIW Admin