The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Post-Matrix P3D v4

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post-Matrix P3D v4

Post by SeanG »

Good afternoon all,

As usual I am a late adopter.. I have finally made the jump from FS9 to P3D v4.5 as my 'main' simulator. And as is my custom I have arrived just after all the cool kids have moved to FS2020 (which I do have)..

My question pertains to all the goodness which was previously available via Matrix; Is there any way of getting all the converted packages as a complete download now that Matrx is gone?

Fortunately I have the one of them, namely the North America pack, which I have installed manually, but I'd really like to get the rest if at all possible.

I know that permission was granted to distribute converted packages via Matrix was given, and that it may not apply to any other method of distribution, but it would be a shame to loose the great work that was put together in terms of a complete cohesive Military AI package.

Enough waffling from me.

Cheers
Sean
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Post-Matrix P3D v4

Post by TimC340 »

Sean, I'm not an Admin and I don't have any insights that you don't have, but I suspect that many of the developers that created the FS9 stuff that was converted for Matrix are either no longer with us, or no longer in the flight sim business and so cannot be contacted to give permission for further individual conversions to be done.

Pretty much all of the aircraft have been converted and are available in the download hangar, and all of the released FS9 packages are still there too. Converting those sceneries to P3Dv4.5 is straightforward and not difficult - and there is a guide to doing so here. I would learn those techniques and crack on with it; I think you'll be waiting a while (and possibly indefinitely) for any more of Matrix to be released individually.

I have converted (and enhanced) many of the John Stinstrom ones, and I'd love to release them but it's just not a possibility I'm afraid.
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

....all of the released FS9 packages are still there too. Converting those sceneries to P3Dv4.5 is straightforward and not difficult - and there is a guide to doing so here. I would learn those techniques and crack on with it....
Haha, yep doing that..just trying to be lazy and see if there was a way to get all of the Matrix packages at once :)
...I have converted (and enhanced) many of the John Stinstrom ones, and I'd love to release them but it's just not a possibility I'm afraid....
I've converted John's Inyokern, and moved it to match a high-res photo tile, and it looks awesome!

Cheers
Sean
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

My sympathies Sean,
Having a fear of a hardware failure, I made a backup of my Matrix folders (and all my other stuff), but don't have a vanilla version. I've hacked it about with many updates, scenery changes and retro/modern splits.

In any case I don't have anywhere big enough to share it to.
Jim
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Hey Jim,
So if I was to give you access to my FTP you could send all you have to me…. For personal use…?

That way you would have a remote backup as well :)

So long as that’s not going to cause any trouble..

Sean
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

SeanG wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 12:11 Hey Jim,
So if I was to give you access to my FTP you could send all you have to me…. For personal use…?

That way you would have a remote backup as well :)

So long as that’s not going to cause any trouble..

Sean
Glad you have a way to get them Sean,

I have a pretty slow upload speed, so may do it in chunks, but probably faster than posting a 64Gb stick from here to NZ.
Please PM me with instructions. Like you are speaking to your grand dad :?

Jim
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

I can do that. :)
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

SeanG wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 22:50
....all of the released FS9 packages are still there too. Converting those sceneries to P3Dv4.5 is straightforward and not difficult - and there is a guide to doing so here. I would learn those techniques and crack on with it....
Haha, yep doing that..just trying to be lazy and see if there was a way to get all of the Matrix packages at once :)
...I have converted (and enhanced) many of the John Stinstrom ones, and I'd love to release them but it's just not a possibility I'm afraid....
I've converted John's Inyokern, and moved it to match a high-res photo tile, and it looks awesome!

Cheers
Sean
I didn't know he'd done Inyokern! That'll add a bit to the China Lake area. I'll get on it..
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

I didn't know he'd done Inyokern! That'll add a bit to the China Lake area. I'll get on it..
I can send it to you (for private use of course)...

Sean
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Don’t worry Sean, I’ve found it at Avsim. I’ll have a look and see if I want to enhance it at all - but I have a lot of other projects in the queue.
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

I’ve already converted and moved it, plus added a photo tile under it…. Offers there :)
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

That’s kind of you, Sean, but I’m afraid I can’t accept.

The whole reason we don’t distribute or share updated versions of John’s scenery is that (as I understand it) he can no longer be contacted to give his permission to do so. Without that permission we are on morally dodgy ground.

I have in fact updated a couple of his sceneries to P3Dv5 which have been released on MAIW within other packages (and had already been updated to v4 by the MAIW conversion team for Matrix), but I’m not entirely comfortable with having done it and I wont be doing it again unless I or MAIW receive explicit permission.
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

.......but I’m not entirely comfortable with having done it and I wont be doing it again unless I or MAIW receive explicit permission.
Completely understand, intellectual property is something I hold quite dear.

On the upside; I'm stuck in a hotel for the next week or so... so plenty of time to convert packages to P3D :)

Cheers
Sean