The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AI at Alconbury FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: AI at Alconbury FSX

Post by TimC340 »

I'll have a look at that - a lot of the older airfields were built in AFX, which doesn't have the apron limitation that ADE does. It dovetailed neatly with Instant Scenery, but neither program is compatible with later versions of P3D (or FSX:SE), and ADE has eclipsed both of them. IS was actually really good, as you could run it from within FSX, but that's the price of progress!

If you have the FSX or P3Dv1.4 SDK on your system, you could use AFX (I think you can still get it from Flight 1) to modify the layout, but personally I'd bite the bullet and do it properly in ADE - it will be a more efficient build. Both Woodbridge and Bentwaters could really do with new airfield backgrounds, but it's not possible (AFAIK) to get historical satellite imagery into SBuilder or FSET to create them, and the airfields no longer look as they did back in the day. Alternatively, you could try and replicate Manschy's wonderful grass textures as per his Bruggen and Gutersloh sceneries - but I think there's a lot of labour involved!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've reinstalled the AGC twins package as is. The A10s are there but it's the RWAI ones. So I'm leaving well alone now.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

You’re using FSX? Unfortunately they don’t work in P3D. Well, they do, but they fly with a fire extinguisher beside them and the intake blanks on!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Yes FSX. They were converted to FSX
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

TimC340 wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 19:02 You’re using FSX? Unfortunately they don’t work in P3D. Well, they do, but they fly with a fire extinguisher beside them and the intake blanks on!
Thats very clever :D

Anon
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

TimC340 wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 19:02 You’re using FSX? Unfortunately they don’t work in P3D. Well, they do, but they fly with a fire extinguisher beside them and the intake blanks on!
Pity the F35B can’t pull off that trick 😀
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Very good!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just taking a breather from MSFS work to check out Alconbury for FSX. I downloaded the package from the MAIW Hangar and installed it. A-10's and TR-1A's all present and correct without the need to alter anything:

As Steve suggested earlier, be absolutely sure, there are no FS9 traffic files present in FSX.

John
lucame
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lucame »

Hello everybody,

reading this topic I decided to download the Alconbury scenery. Airport is there but no AI traffic.
I've noticed that Alconbury doesn't appear in the "United Kingdom" folder in the airports list but, all alone, in a folder called " England".
I suppose this could cause the absence of the AI traffic in my FSX.
Can anybody tell me how to fix it?

Thanks a lot Lucame
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

You can place Alconbury in any folder you like, so long as you add the scenery to the library using that location. If you want it in your folder called "United Kingdom", just move it there, remembering to set the new path correctly in the library.

Either location can be used to display the traffic, so long as the traffic file is present in scenery\world\scenery and AI is switched on.

The package works "straight out of the box", as I demonstrated yesterday. If the traffic doesn't display, given all the files are in the right place, 99% of the time it's because there is a rogue FS9 traffic file in your FSX installation.

Have you checked for that?

John
lucame
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lucame »

Hi John,
and thank you for your reply.
I've checked with AIFP and there should be no FS9 file and around Alconbury the AI traffic looks good.
I' ll check again as soon as possible and I ' ll let you know .

Have a nice day. Lucame
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The country of any particular airfield is set in the 'Airfield Properties' and has no bearing on anything except a search for a given nation's airfields.

Traffic files can be placed in any active scenery folder anywhere in the sim, not just scenery\world\scenery, and FS9 files can sneak in uninvited very easily - I had exactly that only two days ago, when I found an unwanted FS9 traffic file in the scenery folder of a third-party airfield I'd recently installed. The area over which FS9 traffic files suppress FSX/P3D is huge!

John's screenshots remind me how good Ian's Alconbury is, and how nice it looks in FSX compared to the washed-out experience you get in P3Dv5!
lucame
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lucame »

Hi John,

AI traffic in Alconbury fixed: traffic sliders not completely to the right... :oops:

Thank you again Lucame