The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Finningley

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

RAF Finningley

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi All

Has anyone got scenery for Finningley please. FSX preferd but FS9 should work. JY did one for FS2002 was it converted?

TIA
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: RAF Finningley

Post by TimC340 »

Give me a day or so and I'll have something for you.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Tim 👍
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK John

here is a 'work in progress' version of EGXI for FSX. Thanks for reminding me that I needed to get it sorted out!

There will be issues - I've already noted that all the streetlights are the wrong way round! My original buildings were made for P3Dv4 and, although now converted for FSX, they may have a few issues in that sim. The traffic files are included, though some aren't mine they do add to the 'busy-ness' of Finningley at that time (1990-ish) and I hope no-one objects to their inclusion.

The scenery folder includes files to exclude EGCN (Doncaster Robin Hood) which took over the site after EGXI closed. It will appear on in-sim maps as 'out of use' but AI traffic that is scheduled to go to EGCN will still turn up but should disappear when in the area and no airfield appears!

Some of the local traffic uses Lindholme (EGXQ), down the road, as an RLG. There are some versions of it available, but none represent it accurately. I may create one in time. It had closed by 1990, but it was open when I first did Jetstream training at FY in 1979, so I added it for my own nostalgia! Feel free to re-route that traffic if you wish.

Please report any issues you find. Once I've cleaned them up, I'll release it to the Hangar.

The scenery can be downloaded here - for now.

Last edited by TimC340 on 14 Oct 2022, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

Has anybody managed to download this scenery because I get a popup "something went wrong"

Regards Paul Day.
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

I just downloaded it with out any issues.

Gavin
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Tim I'll download it tomorrow. Looks great.
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

paul day wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 18:48 Has anybody managed to download this scenery because I get a popup "something went wrong"

Regards Paul Day.
Hi Paul, if you're still struggling tomorrow let me know and I'll send it direct. I did adjust it a couple of times after I first posted as I realised I'd left another scenery in that download location and I didn't want to confuse people, so you may have tried while I was mucking about with it!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Just a note for all: this scenery is for FSX. It may well work in P3D up to v4, but I'd be surprised if it works in v5. It's missing quite a few buildings that I intend to add - you may have seen my thread here about the initial gestation of the scenery, and there are various other models in the process of construction. Unfortunately (for you!), I rather enjoy the architectural elements so I do get into rather too much detail in my buildings (see here) and I have a tendency to get lost in the research. I'm also trying to complete some real-life construction at home, so virtual construction takes a distant second place. Some of it will see the light of day, honest!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've installed it Tim. I've noticed the radar tower is black. Am I missing a texture? Great scenery BTW

Well timed as the real Doncaster airport will close on 4 November 2022. The council owned land will be sold for redevelopment. XH558 will have to be moved in 2023, in one last flight to its new home if the CAA will allow it. Otherwise it will be taken by road in bits.
John

paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

Hi Tim
Could you check your PM's

Regards Paul Day.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Anyone got the repaints for these JPs

XW311, XW352, XW368, XW372, XW405 and XW425

TIA
John

paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

Hi John
I suspect taking the Vulcan to bits would be a non starter. Back in the eighties we had a Vulcan on static display at St. Athan which was sold to a bright spark in Cardiff who was going to convert it into a restaurant by having everybody seated under the wings and the
whole area from the ground up to the lower edge of the fuselage surrounded in glass. I was working at Pickeston next to crash and smash at the time and they showed me the plans which included taking it by road to Barry docks and up to Cardiff docks but unsurprisingly it never got off the ground, so to speak, and a couple of years later the Vulcan was scrapped on the firedump at Pickestson.

Regards Paul Day.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

paul day wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 09:49 Hi Tim
Could you check your PM's

Regards Paul Day.
Hi Paul. I’m struggling with a vicious cold just now, so I haven’t dragged myself out of bed yet! But I’ll get it to you today.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

VulcanDriver wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 09:04 I've installed it Tim. I've noticed the radar tower is black. Am I missing a texture? Great scenery BTW

Well timed as the real Doncaster airport will close on 4 November 2022. The council owned land will be sold for redevelopment. XH558 will have to be moved in 2023, in one last flight to its new home if the CAA will allow it. Otherwise it will be taken by road in bits.
Ah, ok. I’ll check what’s needed and add it to the package. It should be small enough to add to a post here.

EGCN has really been hit hard by the economic effects of Covid and the consequent downturn of holiday traffic, which hasn’t recovered anything like the amount some press reports might suggest. Peel gets a hard time, but they’ve invested huge amounts into Robin Hood and they are undoubtedly gutted that they’re going to have to throw it away. The infrastructure investment means that the site is likely to have industrial and commercial value rather than just becoming another housing estate, but the chances of another 9000ft Cat 3B runway ever being brought into service in UK are probably zero, so this is a big loss to aviation.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Here's the missing texture files for JY's Watchman radar...
Attachments
JY Watcman Textures.zip
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

Tim
Thanks for the RAF Finningley scenery, a vast improvement on what I had. The night textures are very impressive.

Regards Paul Day.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The download has been updated with a new traffic file that actually reflects the aircraft in John's package, and the waypoints to allow the plans to work!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Latest Finningley FSX version - streetlights corrected, traffic files go to EGXI not EGCN! Note, the traffic files have new names, so they won't overwrite the old ones. The text files are included.
Attachments
EGXI RAF Finninigley 1990 FSX 14-10-22.zip
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Looks better. However the trees background is not transparent on my PC as they block the buildings behind them. Have I got the correct trees libraries?
John