The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MAIW JMAI North-American F-100 Super Sabre Conversion Support

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Conversion Packages for FSX and P3D in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

MAIW JMAI North-American F-100 Super Sabre Conversion Support

Post by gsnde »

Post support related comments for the MAIW JMAI North-American F-100 Super Sabre conversion in this thread.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: MAIW JMAI North-American F-100 Super Sabre Conversion Support

Post by ejwells409 »

I am using these models for an FSX scenery project and have found that the textures display black at various times during a single session. Changing views shows changes in which airplanes are black and which are normal. Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It sounds like there is a problem in one of the F-100 texture folders - a wrong format or a misnamed file, for example. FSX loads the aircraft randomly until it reaches the problem folder. At that point, the textures in that folder and all subsequent folders render black. Because the loading is random, you get a different result each time. I've come across the problem occasionally when testing my own models and paints for the first time.

Try narrowing down the problem folder by a process of elimination.

John
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Thanks John. I also have noticed that in P3DV4.5 the Jets show from a distance but get up within about 30ft and they disappear. Once they taxi beyond a certain point they show again. Could this also be related to the same problem?

Thanks
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's confusing the issue a bit - I thought you were referring to FSX. P3Dv4.5 may not function in the same way so I'm not sure we are comparing apples with apples. If the aircraft are disappearing at short range, that sounds more like a LOD issue.

John
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Sorry for the confusion. . .in FSX the black textures are the only problem, however in P3DV4.5 it's both black textures and transparent Jets when viewed close up, then reappearing once you move back more than about 50yds.

These Jets are being used in a scenery project I'm working on for Wheelus AB, Libya and that I hope can be used for both FSX and P3D.

Ed
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

UPDATE: The black Jets problem has been corrected. Did what I should have done right off, I loaded the liveries into MCX and tabbed through each one until I hit the one that a texture wouldn't load for. Turns out, even after looking at the cfg file and each livery texture I missed a simple letter "F" in one texture name. All is well now in FSX, but the transparent Jets in P3D still persists.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes indeed, one mis-type in the texture name is enough to cause several black aircraft.

John
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Yep, thanks for your help John!
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Ed, can you tell me which of the F-100 MDL files from the conversion package give you P3D tranparency problems so I can investigate them? There are more than 40 MDLs in that package so narrowing it down will help a lot.

Henk.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Thanks Henk, I was hoping you might be able to help. The model I'm using is "JMAI_F-100_Super_Sabre.mdl"
___F-100D_Early_Clean.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Ed, thanks for the info, it looks like you are using an old FS9 MDL file. The converted F-100D early clean MDL file is named different:

Old FS9 mdl = JMAI_F-100_Super_Sabre.mdl ( 545 KB, 17-Feb-2014 )
Converted native FSX MDL = JMAI_F-100D.mdl ( 155 KB, 14-Dec-2020 )

This also explains why it is OK in FSX and does not show correclty in P3D. Are you sure you downloaded and used the "MAIW JMAI North American F-100 Super Sabre Converion" package we published January 3, 2021 ?

BTW: There is a simple trick to verify the MDL file format if you open it with notepad: The 1st line with the header info shows "MDL8MDLH" for FS9 or "MDLXMDLH" for native FSX.

Henk.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Henk, my mistake I guess, so I found the native conversion and swapped mdl files (keeping the same textures however). Still have the same problem though. Fine in FSX and transparent in P3D.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Ed, simply swapping the MDL file will not be enough. You also need other essential files from the conversion package which are different from the FS9 version (model.cfg, aircraft.cfg, DDS main textures and the shared textures for afterburner, dragchute and loadouts, P3D effects files).
If you can share your F-100 AI folder(s)/files by email or Dropbox (or any other cloud space link) I am willing to check them out. I have sent you a PM with my email address.

Henk.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

One final observation. While I'm unable to get very close to the 100's in P3D I can observe that when they taxi, the ladder is still in place, as is the intake cover and I wouldn't be surprised to see the pitot tube still stowed as well. Pretty odd really and I've decided to forego any AI in P3D and instead place some static aircraft just to populate a little of the ramp. I did have the one P3D Beta Tester who was also seeing the same quirkiness.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Ed, I still have no clue why you see these issues with the F-100 in P3D while it is OK in FSX. I ran a couple of tests in P3Dv5.3 with Orbx UK England scenery, no issues at all. The only help I can offer you is to test the F-100 with your Wheelus scenery, I will need the complete package - scenery and all AI mods that you use with it.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Henk,

I've uploaded the entire Wheelus package which includes the Bomb Range (El_Uotia). The 100's and C-47's make flights out there as well as Malta (LMML). Also uploaded is the AI package for the F-100's and C-47's (the C-47's work fine in both sims).

Ed
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Henk,

Is it P3D_V5.3 that you tested everything in? Just wondering because it's version 4.5 that the beta testers that had similar problems were using. Still bugs me that as you say it works perfectly in FSX but V4.5 basically nothing works, even the special animations don't work.
I'm waiting for a few more v4.5 testers to come back with what they see.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Ed, correct, I tested in P3Dv5.3. As you may have seen from my screenshot I uploaded to Box, the ramp is filled with Huns. The one that taxies close by does not disappear and all animations work as they should. This is a needle in a haystack, after 700+ downloads nobody else has reported any issues with the package.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

lol, yea, just my luck. I even have C-47's flying and they look perfect. . .maybe I should just populate the ramp with those babies, lol

Thanks