The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Selfridge ANG Base - MSFS

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Selfridge ANG Base - MSFS

Post by John Young »

The past several months of working with MSFS conversion is now bearing fruit. It's a lot of work and it's very tedious waiting for the sim to load while testing, a dozen or so times a day, but I hope it will be worth while.

Just as an aside, I have converted my F-15E's to add to the F-35A's in the upcoming Lakenheath package and Ian has kindly re-worked the AFCAD to accommodate them. It's currently with Greg at the moment awaiting the traffic files and a final test package:

In the meantime, I decided to convert my A-10C's at Selfridge ANG base. That worked well and I was also able to add my custom shelters to the default scenery as well as a few other enhancements:

I was hoping that Mike and Kevin's KC-135, that also inhabit the base, might also convert for MSFS (with permission of course), but unfortunately it doesn't work well - the texture resolution at 1024 x 1024 pixels doesn't match the quality of the 2048 a 2048 on the A-10's, even with PBR. I therefore decided to create a couple of new models from scratch (doors open and doors closed) for MSFS with a 3-D cockpit and 2048 x 2048 PBR textures:

If any MSFS user would like to try the Selfridge package, they would be most welcome. Let me know and I'll provide a temporary link by PM.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Selfridge ANG Base - MSFS

Post by TimC340 »

Looks gorgeous, John!
markjenk
Cadet
Cadet
Version: MSFS

Post by markjenk »

wow - absolutely amazing. They look so good in MSFS. Having had a go at scenery design and a dabble with model making in Blender, i really appreciate all you and your fellow designers at MAiW have done.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Next level - was absolut positive you will overcome this hurdle! Congrats to the new skills and epic new possibilities!
Regards, Manfred.
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

John, these models look like payware quality...msfs really gives that something else quality.
hope to see the 100th ARW sometime. Praying Ian is looking into the Hall to complement his Heath scenery.

Would really appreciate a link to check out Selfridge to see how it all shapes up thus far.

Trev
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Trev, I have PM'd a link to the package for you.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

You know you're going to have to do the RC models now..... :)
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

John Young wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 06:42 Thanks Trev, I have PM'd a link to the package for you.

John
Thanks John, just seen the message and have downloaded.

Will load it up and take a look

All the best

Trev
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

First findings..

first flight..watched an A-10 depart.. everything was as smooth as can expect. didnt see it return as had to end session with little boy fussing..
second flight... flight 88 departed..KC-135R. departed south westerly before returning to base. Animations look great and once landed...did the asobo slow exit and returned to apron. The parked 135's i feel could be nudged forward a tad as the taxying 135 behind would have decapitated every boom.
Once it parked...rbf's appeared and engine audio started shutdown...but remained running even with engine covers on..maybe we could think of this as the apu just doing its thing...it also appeared to sit with the nose wheel 2ft off the ground whereas other aircraft in the sleep state...sit perfectly flat.
looking to see how the A-10 shutdown is.

tell you what tho....its damn nice to see militaryaiworks active in msfs.

selfridge seems to have some road traffic incursions across the main active...probably an asobo screwup

all the best

Trev
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Trev,

I have adjusted the AFCAD to prevent the boom strikes that you observed. I'm not sure I can adjust the nose wheel height for a returning aircraft without disturbing the other 7 in the sleep state adversely, but I'll think about that. I'm not sure why the engines remain running on return. I'm not sure that there is anything I can tweak, that might overcome that. In any case, it would take half an hour to test a change each time. I like the APU suggestion.

There are no vehicle links across the runway so I'm not sure why a traffic incursion occurs. As you say, probably an Asobo thing.

John
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

John..something I want to experiment with is the sound pack.
Last night..i copied the cfm56 soundai folder from the fsltl 737 folder and replaced the soundAI folder in the 135 folder...I noticed you've selected the default F-18 sounds.
I know the pack couldn't be released with fsltl sounds without permission etc..was just experimenting
Had a quick check to see if there's any specific references to sound folders etc in the cfg file...couldn't see any..
Restarted the sim waited for a 135 to push back..when it did and engine covers disappear...no sounds at all.

Is there anything else specific msfs does sounds wise...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm not sure Trev. I would guess how sound behaves is determined by the soundai.xml file, but when I look at it it has many references to "WwiseData". This is the link to the SDK - https://www.audiokinetic.com/library/20 ... index.html.

I'm not intending to go there, but it may be that using a different default sound package might help. As you have found, they seem to have different properties.

Greg has a better understanding of the technical side of MSFS, so I hope he can contribute something to the issue.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Trev, I did two tests today. The first was to observe an A-10C fly a circuit and land. It returned to the shelter and parked with the nose wheel on the ground but with the engines still running, albeit quietly.

The second test was with a KC-135 (with the high viz markings) flying the same circuit. That too returned to park, half way along the flight line, with the nose wheel perfectly on the ground. The engines remained running very quietly, just like an APU, so not a real problem for me.

John
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

John Young wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 05:53 I'm not sure Trev. I would guess how sound behaves is determined by the soundai.xml file, but when I look at it it has many references to "WwiseData". This is the link to the SDK - https://www.audiokinetic.com/library/20 ... index.html.

I'm not intending to go there, but it may be that using a different default sound package might help. As you have found, they seem to have different properties.

Greg has a better understanding of the technical side of MSFS, so I hope he can contribute something to the issue.

John
When you created this pack..what did you have to do to choose the FA18 sound pack and get it to work...in the xml im seeing area saying modified by militaryaiworks.
just trying to use a different sound pack but if i say replace the soundai folder with the soundai folder from one of the fsltl 737's, no sounds are heard at all.
searching around aig and fsltl forums..not seeing any prople trying to alias sounds.

looked thru the audiokinetic info..and thats seems more aimed at flyable objects.

gonna keep plugging away and check a few more flights to see nose wheel height again.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

All I did Trev, was to copy the soundai folder from the F-35A conversion. The sound element was done for that aircraft by Greg. I'll ask him what specific changes he made to the xml file to enable it. I want to try an airliner sound for the KC-135 in any case, so I need that information.

John
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

John Young wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 05:44 All I did Trev, was to copy the soundai folder from the F-35A conversion. The sound element was done for that aircraft by Greg. I'll ask him what specific changes he made to the xml file to enable it. I want to try an airliner sound for the KC-135 in any case, so I need that information.

John
much appreciated...
after using fsltl and hearing their spool up and general sounds...my aim was to use as close to the 135's cfms as possible...which i believe from powerplant info...is the cfms used on 737-700s which mave has created for fsltl.
but alas..these xmls look kinda confusing..was hoping just a simple swap out would suffice :wink:
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Good Day John,
I popped in here this morning to see if there was any news on Lakenheath for MSFS, only to find you have also done Selfridge! I would be extremely grateful if I could also test for you.

-Preston
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Preston,

Thanks for offering to test Selfridge for me. I have PM'd you a temporary link to the files.

John
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Good day John. Day 2 and I am struggling to get the Ai to appear, the shelters show up just fine. I have read your installation guide, which is very straightforward. No Dice....... yet.

-Preston
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Preston,

Just to be sure, I downloaded the Selfridge Beta1 package, a few minutes ago, from the same link I sent you and replaced the 3 folders in my Community folder with the ones in the zip. Everything is fine:

Just check through the enablers that are listed in the manual. I'm sure the solution lies there.

John