The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Finningley

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: RAF Finningley

Post by TimC340 »

If you hadn't got the right library they wouldn't show at all, but it may be that your library hasn't been updated to FSX/P3D compatibility. Can you put up a screenshot to show what you're getting? I may try and change the trees to FSX/P3D default models rather than the FS9-derived ones I've probably used - it would help consistency as seasons change (though I hate Autumn in FSX).

This version of Finningley goes back to around 2016, and it was just a bit of luck that I'd saved it (along with most of my buildings) on another computer when I lost most of my work a couple of years ago - an old story that I've seen several times in the sim community! So there will be details that need attention, and it's not really of a standard that I'd like it to be, but your shout for Finningley at least reminded me that I ought to get something out there!

One of the things I've noticed in FSX:SE is that once the apron lightwashes turn on, they don't turn off again despite the correct settings in ADE. I think that's a 'feature' of FSX:SE in particular, but I'd be interested to know if that happens in MS FSX. In P3D I use dynamic lighting which is very different and so I'm relearning stuff that I'd forgotten!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm using the FSX libraries from MAIW. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow. Also I noticed a flickering texture on the base. Its tarmac grond texture between buildings.

Cheers
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Which buildings, John? If it's one of mine, I can probably raise the tarmac so it doesn't fight with the default ground, at least in close up. If it's one of the others, I might be able to cure it by raising the whole building or by changing the ground treatment*

*trying to get my head in the right space _ I've just been playing Cities Skylines which has similar problems but very different solutions!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Have you got a FSX version of FinneyGroundFences.bgl as these are causing problems. TIA

The tree problem seems to have been solved with the FSX version.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

That's not a file in my scenery, John. I don't have it on my system at all. Is it from John Young's FS9 Finningley that was in the FS9 JP package?
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

It's in the FS9 static scenery library. I saw it in there and thought its was yours. I'll delete it.
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Was the tree thing related to Honington rather than Finningley?

I seriously hope Ian does bring his MSFS Honington to FSX/P3D. As we know from his Lakenheath and Coningsby, his scenery is lovely. I've been working on my own AFD for the airfield to (slightly) improve on the UKMil one and better fit the traffic I want to see there, and I think that a decent version can be made using the Ted Andrews/MAIW scenery libraries, but the UKMil scenery is exceptional considering how old it is!

I'd love for my Finningley to approach Ian's standards, but I need to learn a lot more about texturing to get anywhere near that.
JBD
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JBD »

Tim.
Scenery looks great except for the tree problems already referred to. Could you please advise the parking codes used for the JPs (they are blank in the download). I have set up the four Chipmunks to use the grass strip EGXX. Had you anything else in mind for EGXX?
John D.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

As this has kind of come up before, I suspect some people have another Finningley installed, and it's most likely John Young's as included in his original JP package. That was originally an FS9 scenery, and elements of it may not display properly in FSX. If you have both mine and John's installed, you will have the removed EGCN and the grass overlay EGXX working ok, but you'll have John's EGXI displaying - or possibly even a combination of both his and mine. It's all about housekeeping of your scenery library!

IIRC, in John's scenery he uses tree areas that employ FS9 autogen models which he included in the scenery, and these definitely won't display properly in FSX. My scenery uses tree placings that call objects from the MAIW Scenery Objects Library which you must have on your system; there are no tree objects in my scenery. These tree objects are themselves originally FS9 items (MTrees), and if you have the FS9 version of the MAIW library, you will have the same issues with tree display. Remove the FS9 MAIW Scenery Objects libraries from your FSX setup.You can see in the screenshots on the previous page that the trees do indeed display properly (inasmuch as FS9 objects can!).

Now, parking. I have no idea what parking is included in John's Finningley. I assume that he did allocate it for his JPs before he released the package, but he may not have - or he may have used a different designation than he gave me when we were first playing with this package**. The designation I have is 6JP5, and that is what is on the JP parking spots in my scenery. The others are 6DOM for the Dominies, 6JET for the Jetstreams, BULL for the Bulldogs, 9AEF for the Chipmunks, 202S, 22S and 78S for the Sea Kings, and RRR/RFR for one of the MIL_CARGO spots for those who have the VC10 in their traffic library.

EGXX has only three parking spots, and only one is designated: 9AEF and BULL. The grass strip was generally not used during the week unless ATC needed to clear some room in the jet pattern (Finningley was incredibly busy in 1990), but was quite extensively used at weekends by YUAS*. In reality, the initial take off and final landing would generally be on the hard runway if 20 was in use as it was far nearer the YUAS/9AEF parking, but to avoid traffic from both AFDs trying to use the same taxiways I decided to only use the nearest dispersal complex for grass traffic. Feel free to alter the parking allocation to induce the scene you want to see!

This is the parking layout you should see:

*Not so much by the 9AEF Chipmunks, as the mostly fast-jet AEF pilots were wary of ground-looping the Chippy on the fairly rough grass strip.

** Later edit: actually, I think I may have come up with the '6JP5' parking code so that it was in common with the 6DOM and 6JET names that I used for those spots. Looking at the FSX package, John didn't allocate a parking code in the JP5B entries in the aircraft.cfg. So they'll probably park anywhere except the proper spots! It's easy to alter the aircraft.cfg file to include 6JP5 as the parking code for each aircraft. so each entry should look like this:

//--------------------Jet Provost T.5B 6 FTS RAF Finningley----------------//

[fltsim.0]
title=JYAI_Jet_Provost_T5B_Finningley_XW293
sim=JYAI_Jet_Provost
model=Jet_Provost_T5B
texture=T5B_XW293
atc_airline=SPARROW
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes=6JP5
ui_manufacturer=JYAI
ui_type=Jet Provost T5B
ui_variation=Finningley XW293
description=JYAI Jet Provost T5B for AI use.
Last edited by TimC340 on 21 Oct 2022, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I have EGXIv3 bgls installed all date 16 October except for EGXIv3_ADX_TJC which is dated 12 October.

I removed the FinneyGroundFences.bgl and I've got the trees for fsx which solved the problems that I had.
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

That's odd! The last amendments were 14 October, and all four EGXIv3 files should be that date. I've attached the scenery file so you can update it.
Attachments
Scenery.zip
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks I've used those and it seems OK. The flickering surfacre I was mentioning is in the coal dump.
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK. That's in Ted Andrews' model, and I doubt there's much I can do about it. I could raise it up a bit, but that only stops the flickering when you're viewing very close up. I'll have a look though.