The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thoughts on FSLTL?

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
jmillerw
Cadet
Cadet
Version: MSFS

Thoughts on FSLTL?

Post by jmillerw »

I check on MAIW from time to time and see you are doing great work on the military models and I understand you are converting them for MSFS use. It would be wonderful if you join forces with FSLTL which lacks any military traffic and has no plans of including them any time soon, as per their website says.

Any thoughts?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Thoughts on FSLTL?

Post by Firebird »

We fell that at the moment it is too early to say one way or the other.
So far there is a very small number of people that have gained some experience in certain areas of MSFS addons. I think that everybody would agree that before we commit to anything, or nothing, that we have to produce packages for the platform first.

Once that is achieved we need to take the knowledge and experience we have, encapsulate it in a doc or docs ans pass it on to other in the group that wish to learn the methods involved.

Once we have succeeded in creating a package and have successfully trained at least a couple of others, then that would be the time to look at alliances or collaborations.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

I'm running both FSLTL and AIG AIM and while they add to my AI immersion with full airport eye candy, the MSFS AI engine is still a ways off.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jmillerw
Cadet
Cadet
Version: MSFS

Post by jmillerw »

and on top of that, apparently SU11 is bound to break AI traffic even further.... There's a petition about that in the msfs forums. We can only hope they address this matters for SU12
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

I was teetering on the edge of asking this very same question to John while testing his Selfridge ang kc-135's.

As FSLTL takes data from a live service that reflects real world movements...would it not be easier to produce the models and with their assistance or collaborative effort...bring them to life.
Now that will work well for the slower types...herks..tankers transports etc as they're pretty visible on fr24.
other types i guess would need more of the traditional flightplan approach...fighters and specialized units.

i believe utilizing FSLTL would give militaryaiworks a lot of visibility within fs2020 while allowing time to work on the intricacies of flightplans as per the older legacy system
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Having spent over a 1000 hours this year on learning how to create for MSFS, I need to see the take-up of what we have achieved so far in order to justify that effort and do more. There's only me converting AI aircraft for MSFS. It's a complex process, particularly with PBR texturing, so I am not surprised that no-one else has requested the conversion guide to expand our resources.

Both the Lakenheath and Selfridge packages need to be released, but at the moment, we are waiting on the traffic file for Lakenheath and a final test package from the Package Manager. Selfridge is probably good to go, but at the moment, there's no MSFS category to upload it to in the library, even assuming someone will make it available once it's there. I don't think flightsim.to has an AI package section either.

My post about Selfridge produced only 5 responses from MSFS users and only 2 of those took up the offer to try the package out. I'm just not seeing the interest in MSFS, at least at MAIW.

Since I updated my MSFS and SDK to the latest version, I've had a frustrating problem of the sim freezing at the Welcome screen, unless I kill the process in Task Manager, or re-boot the PC before the next launch. If SU11 is likely to break things further, we may be on a hiding to nothing. It's far too early to talk about collaboration.

I want to pursue MSFS further, but at the moment, I'm working on an FSX/P3D project until prospects become clearer.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Almost all MSFS users are there to fly a simulated aeroplane and enjoy the view - which can be spectacular. Very few are there simply to observe a simulated moving world, which (at least for me) is the appeal of the FSX/P3D products. Until Asobo takes the AI issue seriously, I will not be spending much time in that sim. Even on the rare occasion I want to 'fly' an aeroplane, the static airport environment in respect of the most important players - the aircraft - is a real turn-off. Even with AI enabled, at the moment it's a few repetitive fake liveries (and fewer movements) and it feels much like the early iterations of FS9. I respect and welcome the efforts of those of you trying to move it on, but I'm also well aware that Asobo break everything each time they update the sim!

Like you, John, I just don't think MSFS is yet ready for MAIW. If Kai and AIG manage to make a reliable and user-friendly AI engine for the sim, that could change everything. KL791 has done some amazing work with his beautiful AI shipping addon, so I'm sure it can be done. However, it's a bit bizarre that we have convincing ship AI before we have convincing aircraft AI!
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Looking at the Selfridge pack...its pretty damn good as it is.
if packs were just aircraft doing circuits, id be happy till asobo fix their poor ai engine and let developers really show them what can be done.
unfortunately flightsim.to doesnt look like it will have sensible categories so everything will always be grouped with those 'people' that like to upload a myriad of fictional rubbish..space ships and crap.

im still trying to play with the sounds on the 135 and now the A10 within msfs..but im not too knowledgable on the new system.

keep up the great work tho