The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Possible to transfer P3D aircraft and flightplans to MSFS?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Possible to transfer P3D aircraft and flightplans to MSFS?

Post by crushnik »

The new sim is very impressive but the military bases are horrendously disappointing after being used to MAIW aircraft and flightplans. Is there a way to import into MSFS?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Possible to transfer P3D aircraft and flightplans to MSFS?

Post by Firebird »

This is a very simplistic answer.
From what I understand you can import models from FSX standard into MSFS. Scenery you have to do from scratch.
Steve
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

I see that AI Flight Planner does MSFS flight plans... I can load an MAIW .bgl file, but don't know how to convert after that. And the help manual won't open. Is there a simple explanation of how to convert those MAIW files? Seeing an apron full of autogenerated civilian aircraft on a military base in MSFS just isn't right.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

MSFS will read FSX-formatted traffic files, as is. The problem you have is converting the relevant AI aircraft. That is extremely complicated and I've invested over 1000 hours so far learning how to do that and I'm just about there. You can amend MSFS AFCAD files with ADE2020, but you will also need the MSFS SDK airfield editor to exclude anything. Simple it isn't I'm afraid.

John
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

How difficult would it be then to recreate older flight plans and import the older models? One base at a time wouldn't be so bad I imagine, if I knew more about the process to get old aircraft and flight plans into a format that works with the new sim.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK the flight plans are not a problem at all. The only issue is where the ICAO from the earlier sim has changed in MSFS and I believe that AIFP copes with that if you set the target sim to MSFS.

The a big issue is the models. There is only a conversion tool available for FSX models. I should warn you that this is not a simple case of throw the FSX mdl in at one end and an MSFS mdl comes out the other. Far from it. All the anims have to be defined to the standard that MSFS has. John and myself went through the same learning process here and we were able to create the models and convert the schemes but we had big troubles getting basic xml to work. MSFS uses it very differently in a lot of ways.

On top of this what John and i both found is that the schemes that were good enough for FS9, FSX and P3D are not good enough for MSFS. We discovered early on that the cammo for the Tornado was dark and flat. It was decided that you have to create PBR textures for MSFS. This is a big job if you are not used to fairly advanced texture techniques.

Now having said all of that, it can be done. John has done it. He has also created a guide on how to do it.
If you wish to go down this route John will be happy to make it available to you and he will be happy to see others start down the path of conversions.

All you have to do is ask for it.
Steve
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

I am definitely interested and would love to do my part to get the ball rolling!
crushnik
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by crushnik »

I'd also be interested in making models for AI aircraft if someone can point me in the right direction. I was a terrain guy before MSFS came out so I know a lot when it comes to that end but don't know much when it comes to 3D models. I imagine it's not easy but some parts of the process would be easier than others and I'd love to get started somewhere.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I feel that JY will pop by soon and give you your starting guide.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The repositories for expertise on all things MSFS are FSDeveloper and the official MSFS forums, and for AI in MSFS there’s a good deal of info over at Alpha India Group.

As Steve says, JY will no doubt be able to give a precis, but he has covered the topic several times here so it’s worth having a look back over his posts to get a feel for the journey he’s been through - and I think it’s fair to say it hasn’t been easy! However, the bottom line would appear to be that AI in FSX (not P3D) format can be converted to operate in MSFS, but the process is fiddly and time-consuming. For those prepared for the learning curve, Blender is the preferred modelling program (for those who can’t afford 3DSMax) and it now has official Asobo support, which means there are addons that supposedly make the importing of models into MSFS easy.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The conversion guide I have produced is 50 pages in length. It covers tools and other dependencies, folder structures, XML coding, conversion with MCX, PBR texturing, packaging through the SDK, setting up a test AFCAD, and testing.

You will need a personal licence from Arno to enable MCX to do the conversion. You will also need to be very familiar with a layered paint program that can split RGB channels and, preferably, you will need to learn how to used "Materialize" to design PBR textures. Some files for things like afterburners, canopies and lights will also be needed from Pete.

Above all, you will need a suitable candidate to convert. That really needs to be an FSX or P3D native aircraft with a 2048 x 2048 pixel paint kit to make the most of the PBR textures.

When I built the KC-135 for Selfridge, it took me as long to convert the model as to build it in the first place. That's partly because MSFS will need to be launched frequently in order to test xml changes. That can take up to half an hour each time if the test is on a landing aircraft, assuming you can follow it in the first place (there is no AI viewer in MSFS). You will also need to re-enter custom changes in the XML file each time a change is made in MCX and the model is re-compiled.

Believe me, it's not easy, even with several years of FSX AI design experience on my part and many hours of support from Pete.

That said, it's great to see some additional interest in this and if anyone wants to try, then please PM me and tell me what you want to convert and if I think it's doable, I'll supply the guide.

Similarly, if anyone wants to get started with 3-D modelling for AI aircraft, I can help too, but only with Gmax. That's really old now but still effective, although complex. As Tim says, Blender is the preferred program these days, but it's a path that I have not trodden.

John