The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

General MAIW Conversion Package issues

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Conversion Packages for FSX and P3D in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: General MAIW Conversion Package issues

Post by John Young »

Hi Slayer and welcome to the forum. Flightplans (traffic.bgl) files go in FSX/scenery/world/scenery. Assuming the aircraft are installed correctly and you have the corresponding scenery with the correct parking spot sizes active, they should appear.

The biggest cause of FSX traffic not showing is the presence of traffic files formatted for FS9 as Steve mentioned above. These will kill all FSX traffic in the catchment area because they use a different day of the week structure.

If everything is installed correctly, then you really need to scan your FSX/scenery/world/scenery folder. You can do that manually by a process of elimination, or for a very quick solution, use the tool in the top menu of AI Flight Planner to scan the folder.

This is the link to AIFP if you don't already have it:

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

John
Dantheman77
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Post by Dantheman77 »

So are there no .exe package installers for P3D like there was in FS9?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Correct. It was decided to go down the matrix route for installation rather than individual packages.
Steve
flightwise
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Issues with Kingsville Export Hawks Package in P3D 4.5

Post by flightwise »

I have the same package installed in 2004 and it works with little to no issues, but with P3D 4.5 after following the conversion directions, creating mipmaps saved to DTX 5 the AI planes are missing everything but some of the tail and couple of navigation lights. Is this a texture issue or a graphics setting issue? I'm interested in knowing why the T-45s were assigned call sign "Kato" I'm in Kingsville and I am currently monitoring their traffic and the call sign they use is Hawk or a unique identifier like Laser, also wondering why the corresponding number of the callsign doesn't correspond to the numbers on the plane?. I realize changing all this would be a labor intensive task, and I do appreciate the work that has thus far been put it in, for the sake of authenticity I would be willing to put in the hours all I need is some basic guidelines on how to go about it. Thanks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, I don't have P3D but can you confirm that you are using the P3D version of the models. I know that the FSX versions can be used for earlier versions of P3D but with v4 and above I believe that you need to use P3D compiled versions.

Now on the call-sign front please remember that the package was created in 2008. It is not unreasonable to think that the call-signs have altered in the intervening 14 years. If you have better knowledge for the current time your are completely free to add adapt the components to meet your requirements.

As for the numbers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the numbers did not correspond to the tail numbers. The reason here is that if you have two wildly differing numbers in a pair (lets play the simplest option here) then ATC would not automatically and instinctively link, for example, 305 and 281 as being a pair. However, if they hear 51 and 52 then human nature would automatically link them together.

The one exception to this rule tends to be transport aircraft, mainly as they tend to operate individually but again in tactical circumstances the same would apply.

As with all things military, flight plans and call-signs tend to be might be representative rather than are.
Steve
flightwise
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by flightwise »

Hello, thanks for your reply, I can confirm that the version I'm using is from this link https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... ille-hawks It says compatible FS9, if there is another link for P3D or FSX I was not able to find it and I did search for a conversion but came up empty. Everything you said makes sense, that said how would one go about adapting or editing the audio to suit their needs? Thanks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK if you are using FS9 models then there is no chance that they will work in P3D.
If you go to the Hangar and search for T-45 you will find that the 6th one on the list is the conversion pack you want.

On the sounds you have to download and install the EditVoicePack for the version of the sim you are using, which is EditVoicepack XL for you. You should already have this installed if you are loading and using the callsigns that are in our packs.

What you have to do is either find someone that has already created it or make one yourself using EVP. You basically use the default sounds of the game and create what word you wish phonetically.
Once you have the sound that you like you just load it into your game. You can also export the mos file so that you can shate the callsign around with others.

Does this help?
Steve
flightwise
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by flightwise »

Ok I just download that one the other day but haven't installed it yet, for some reason I thought it was the aircraft to fly not the AI I do have that version of EVP installed, I will most likely record my own audio. Yes this helps, thanks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Steve
SAexmil
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by SAexmil »

Using JBSA San Antonio (KSKF) by Tony Dalton new FSX load on Windows 11 system. Install of JBSA seems to be working fine. However using MAIW PSAI C-5 AMC West Coast C-5's no C-5's can be seen parked any where at KSKF. The F-16's for the Texas National Guard are present and A/I flight plans are working. Checked East Coast C-5 locations and all except WPAFB show C-5's. Thanks for any help getting the C-5's to be seen. Had same issue with Dan French's Kelly-Lackland AFB package.

SAexmil
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by f4nutter »

check the parking spot size its 33 for the C-5, if its smaller then the C-5 won't be there so you will have to change the parking spots using ADE or change the model size using AI Aircraft Editor from the owls nest.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

The parking radius at KSKF all appear to be OK. Check your traffic density settings in FSX; Settings, Customize, Traffic. The flightplan needs a traffic density setting of at least 30% to get some of the C-5's to show and 60% to get all C-5's to show. You should check the settings of both Commercial and General Aviation. If I remember correctly if the aircraft.cfg file doesn't specify an atc_airline, atc_airline= is blank, that aircraft is treated as General Aviation. Hope this helps.

Paul
Mattie941
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mattie941 »

Hello - I'm am going to add all official packages to my FSX install. However, I have one question. Are there any models in the Official MAIW Packages downloads that do not have an Official MAIW Conversion Package?

My plan is to:
1) install all official packages to a fake FS9 folder
2) convert traffic.bgl files to FSX format
3) transfer traffic.bgl, scenery, effect and texture files (everything except aircraft) to FSX install
4) install all official conversion packages

If I follow this process, will I have the complete set of MAIW models, scenery and corresponding flight plans? Or are there FS9 models with no conversion package that my process would therefore miss?

Cheers, Matt
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

As far as I understand it, not every MAIW FS9 package was converted, because in some cases, we didn't have permission to do so.

John
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

Hi,
There are a number of models that were converted to P3D but not converted to FSX native format.
Mostly jets as far as I recall.

Fortunately the FS9 models work in FSX (unlike P3D) so if you install the FS9 models first and then overwrite them with as many of the FSX native models as you can find then you should be good to go.

Gavin
Mattie941
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mattie941 »

John Young wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 15:00 ...not every MAIW FS9 package was converted...
gavinc wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 22:27 ... the FS9 models work in FSX (unlike P3D) so if you install the FS9 models first and then overwrite them with as many of the FSX native models as you can find then you should be good to go...

Thanks guys. I'll get started on that
cahuich
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cahuich »

Hi,

Is it possible to add PBR textures anb How? old FS9 MAIW models converting them to P3D models in MCX?

Thanks a lot.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's theoretically possible I think, but experience with successfully producing MSFS PBR textures would suggest a lot of work, both in setting up the MCX parameters (I don't know what they are for P3D) and crafting the multiple .bmp components of the PBR. It really needs a 2048 x 2048 pixel RGB master to work from, which is probably absent on old FS9 models. Apart from that, if the new model is to be shared, it will require the permission of the original author to do that. We don't have that in every case.

John
cahuich
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cahuich »

Thank you John,

Of course, that will be for my personal use only!

Regards
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

cahuich wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 18:59 Hi,

Is it possible to add PBR textures anb How? old FS9 MAIW models converting them to P3D models in MCX?

Thanks a lot.
As John said it is theoretically possible to add PBR textures to a converted model. In MCX you can assign a PBR texture to the model then export it as . The tricky part is creating the PBR texture.

Over at the Sim-Outhouse.com someone has recently released a document on converting an FSX model to P3D with PBR. That would be a good place to start.

Gavin