The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Aircraft Carrier Take Off and Landing

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
usb
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Aircraft Carrier Take Off and Landing

Post by usb »

I know how and have adjusted several of my aircraft carrier aircraft to land and stop in the trap zone by changing the drag coefficient in the primary flight dynamic section in the air file and now would like to get them to take off on a short run instead of flying level across the water as if it was an airport runway. I have a couple helicopters now that do that and I just found in MAIW dounloads the JYAI EA-6B Prowler/Intruder Flight Model Version 1.0 22.12.21 that does it very well what ever he did is it something I can do in the airfile to?
Mike G.
Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler
Mike G.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Aircraft Carrier Take Off and Landing

Post by Firebird »

Hi Mike,
There isn't a really simple answer here. I can detail the principle though.

In real life the aircraft takes off at the same speed as land aircraft but is aided by two factors, wind speed over the deck and catapults.

In simple terms if the carrier is flying into wind of 20 kts and the aircraft takes off at 140 kts it only needs to achieve 120 kts+ to take off. This is impossible to model.
The catapult is very difficult to model as well. The simple guess of increasing power does not cure all. The reason is quite simple. Although the aircraft will accelerate quicker on its own it would accelerate too fast after take off and then get into the realm of flaps and gear coming up way too late.

So what I do is to increase the lift at the lowest speed, normally raise the nose a little earlier (which is more a visual thing) and then increase drag so that the rate of speed increase after take off is reduced enough that you minimize the problems with gear/flaps.

Now the seemingly best way of adding drag is to increase the drag on the gear. This has no effect on the ground. The problem is that whilst you can easily increase the drag to get what you want from take off, when you come into approach/land then the speed drops very quickly when the gear comes down.
You might think that adding some drag to the gear and some to the flaps would solve the issue. However, in reality the FS9/FSX AI engine does not use flaps on take off. They are animations. So you would need to add drag in more than one place.

This is why I can't give you a simple answer. Each aircraft will be different.

I created the fdes for JYs EA-6s. What I would suggest is loading up the .air files into the utility AirUpdate.exe and doing a full dump of each. This will create a txt file for each. You can then compare these txt files in whichever proggy you use for that purpose and you will see the differences I made. This will give you some idea of the changes needed for carrier ops.
Steve
hgschnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hgschnell »

I use Rob Barendegt's Carrier OPs instead (available on most FS archives).
It has a "cable area" and catapults (all freeware)
Guenther
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

hgschnell wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 06:45 I use Rob Barendegt's Carrier OPs instead (available on most FS archives).
It has a "cable area" and catapults (all freeware)
The Rob Barendegts Carrier Ops is for flyable aircrafts.

Here "usb" ask tips to simulate carrier operations for AI traffic aircrafts.
hgschnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hgschnell »

Okay, you are right.
Guenther