The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Editvoicepack X and XL

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
phantomfreak
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Editvoicepack X and XL

Post by phantomfreak »

Has anyone come across any issues with Editvoicepack X not opening in Windows 7? I can install it, but when I go to open it I get a message saying it has stopped working windows is searching for a solution (or something similar, I think we've all seen the message at some point).

I can install and open Editvoicepack XL version 5.5.9 just fine, however when I got to update I get the Editvoicepack has stopped working popup. I'm not sure if I should try to upgrade to the payware version if I'm not able to get the full functionality.

This happens on Windows 7 desktop and my Windows 11 laptop.

Funny thing is I can install Editvoicepack 3.1 and it works just fine.

Is there any other program that can load and convert voices into FSX or FS9?

Thanks,
Bazinga!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Editvoicepack X and XL

Post by Firebird »

I only use 3.1 so I can't comment on problems with the other versions.
I assume that you have checked the website and had a look at the problems running the program page.

My gut feeling is that something that EVP uses. Either a library or .NEt.
I would try the SFC/ scannow command to see if there is something corrupt on Windows 7 - Here I assume that this will still work even if it is out of support. The other thing I would try is verify that your .Net installations are installed properly.

One last thought, and I apologise that it is an obvious one but you have to ask these questions, can I assume that you have not installed EVP in a protected folder?
Steve
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Yes, I checked the website and did not see any that had the stopped working message.

I downloaded the .net from microsoft so they should have been placed in the correct locations.

The scannow command did not find any thing wrong with windows.

Editvoicepack X and XL installed to the Program Files(x86), 3.1 installed to the same location. They do not appear to be in a protected folder.

One thing I forgot to mention is I have an older laptop with Windows 7 with editvoicepack for FSX and I was able to get it to work. Another thing that I haven't figured out. Curious is that them being two different computers,if that could be a cause. My desktop has Windows 7 Professional and the laptop has Windows 7 Home, but I wouldn't think that would matter.
Bazinga!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It could that some security function has been tightened up somewhere in the OS.

Program Files(x86) is a protected folder but the early problems I remember with 3.1 was that FS9 was in that folder and that was causing grief.

There are 3 things I would check. Firstly, see if the program itself is running in admin mode.
Secondly try turning off the UAC and running it. That should tell you whether it is a Windows security thing or not.
Finally, try uninstalling and reinstalling outside of the protected folder, remembering that it saves all of its updates to an xml file, with 3.1 its in the installation directory, so save that somewhere first.
Steve