The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI Westland Wessex

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

JYAI Westland Wessex

Post by John Young »

Having released the retro Andover package for FSX and P3D, that included the 3 Queen's Flight examples, I wanted to follow up with the 2 Westland Wessex helicopters that were also part of the Flight at that time. That's not really a substantial project of course and having bought the Warpaint book of the Wessex and made the base model, I was keen to do more - 7 variations in total in fact:

HCC.4 Queen's Flight:

HC.2 RAF Rescue:

HC.2 RAF:

HAS.1 Royal Navy:

HU.5 Royal Navy - Commando Carrier

HAS.3 Royal Navy:

HU.5 Royal Navy Rescue:

7 Models:

This could be a huge subject and my intention is not to paint all the possibilities and get bogged down in helicopter ovelaid AFCADs and flight plans. Rather, if would-be users, especially anyone with an affinity with the Wessex, could tell me what they would like to see produced, I'll consider the options. It would be easier to pick squadrons located at airfields where we already have helicopter operations, like RNAS Yeovilton and RNAS Culdrose. If Tim is going to produce RAF Benson at some point, then the two QF helicopters will be ready and waiting.

John
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: JYAI Westland Wessex

Post by shaggy22 »

Very much looking forward to this one, the Wessex is one of my favourites. I've no specific variant request, just as long as there's a paint kit for it :smt003
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

very nice indeed John.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Oh very nice, John.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Looking great, John! Best I get on with Benson...
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Love it!
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

They look fantastic 👍👏
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

very nice, very nice indeed :D
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Jobza Guddun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Jobza Guddun »

Those look superb, nice work John!
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Simply brilliant! One more which is completing the 80s era. Thank you very much.
Regards, Manfred.
Pipercub1
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Pipercub1 »

Stunning, so happy with the Andover package, and now this is fantastic, but as you asked, then a Green Parrott would be nice, something a little different
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Wonderful work. Ideal for us retro freaks.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

VulcanDriver wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 11:30 Wonderful work. Ideal for us retro freaks.
And rotorhead freaks, nice work JY!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

They look beautiful John, thank you for creating them. Please do release a paint kit as there are so many options for us retro fans.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

It took a couple of days work to come up with a plan for deploying the Wessex models and paints, including verified serial numbers and letter codes, but I think I have a way forward.

There were around 360 RAF and RN Wessex helicopters built, spanning 40 squadrons covering a period of over 40 years. With such a span, it’s quite difficult to pick a period where all the models I’ve built fit the same period. I worked out that 1983-85 provides the best fit for everything apart from the HAS1 that was used in the 1960’s by the Royal Navy. As has already been suggested, a comprehensive paint kit will enable users to paint up this version and any of the others in the variety of schemes that appeared on the different marks over the years.

I’m intending to split the project into 3 releases:

Part 1 will feature the RAF HU2 in both camo, rescue and HCC4 Queen’s Flight paint schemes. It will include 11 examples of 2FTS at Shawbury and 5 of 72 Sqn at Aldergrove, Belfast, using existing scenery and new flight plans. The package will also include 10 x yellow SAR Wessex of 22 Sqn, but I am not intending to provide scenery or flight plans for the dispersed locations. The two Queen’s Flight examples will also be in the pack and will be enabled later, in the RAF Benson 115 Sqn Andover scenery that Tim is intending to produce, in due course.

Part 2 will feature Royal Navy HU5 Wessex in the green Commando schemes of 707 NAS and 845 NAS at RNAS Yeovilton and the red and grey rescue version of 771 NAS at Culdrose. Again, we have existing scenery that can be used and the package will include about 30 aircraft and flight plans.

Part 3 is the most challenging. It features the anti-submarine HAS model with the spine radome and yellow and dark grey paint scheme, with one Falklands grey example. The helicopters were used by 829 NAS in the time period at Portland Naval Air Station in Dorset. To do that requires a new scenery for FSX and P3D and initial investigation suggests that it is doable. It will also give the opportunity to include some 772 NAS HU5’s. I may even turn my Wildcat into a Navy Lynx to complete the helicopters there.

Part 1 is almost ready for packaging. Both bases feature the existing Gazelle traffic. Here's a taster - but please ignore the multiple Wessex movements at Shawbury and Aldergrove, I was just testing the AI:

RAF Shawbury:

RAF Aldergrove:

22 Sqn SAR Wessex:

Queen's Flight:

I want to add some “doors closed” models next, to give more variety on flight lines. I can then produce the manual and package up Part 1.

John
JBD
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JBD »

Amazing John. Can’t wait to put the 22 Sqdn machines into Chivenor.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I was never a big fan of rotary stuff until I started exploring your stuff John :smt023
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Me too Jim, until I discovered what I could do with it!

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've just sent Part 1 of the Wessex project, covering RAF HC2's and HCC4's, for inclusion in the Download Hangar. As always, please allow time for the upload to be processed and made available.

I'll press on next with getting the Royal Navy examples into scenery and flight plans.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Wonderful. Thanks for this great work!
Regards, Manfred.