The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Osan AB Package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I did a fresh install of the Osan package and at first did not see many textured buildings. When I moved the Osan scenery below CGY the textures appeared. However there are some disused blast pens which are not textured. Some of the HAS's are painted white IRL however.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Now this may not work for you but I copied the textures from Osan to the main texture folder. What I got was concrete walls on the disused blast pens and a much better texture taxiways and parking areas. There are two original FS9 files that share the same name so make a back up before pasting the MAIW files.

Osan now looks very nice. Some HASs are still white but see my original post.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

I tried re-arranging the scenery list since it was mentioned before... you can the results in my post on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:31 pm.
Well, when I get the situation that textures don't show up I use the freely available Filemon tool, or its replacement Procmon would do.

I set it up to only check on FS9.exe and then check for Log reads and Log Errors and then highlight on the base name. For example my Osan scenery directory is named Osan AB so by checking for 'Osan' it will highlight any textures or files not found in that Directory.

Then load up FS9, it will take a lot longer due to the logging and go to Osan. Then slew around the air base and it will log any textures that it can't find. That will give you the names it can't find. The nice thing is that you can save the log should you need to.

Be warned there will be a lot of not founds, as FS9 checks its hierarchy for files, but you are only interested in the highlighted ones.
I haven't tried this yet, but wouldn't a fresh download and install provide me with any/all filed needed; making the above unnecessary?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK Gents,
For reasons i won't go into I spent some time this morning looking into this and found the cause.

Using Filemon I tracked the scenery and found that fs9 keeps track of its libs, but apparantly, only uses the highest priority if the name is duplicated. So for example the Osan Lib.bgl was in CGY and Osan, but whilst loading Osan it was using the bgl in the CGY scenery, and therefore was only checking the CGY texture folder for its textures. Hence the lack of textures at Osan as none were included for CGY.
There are three ways around this. One, move the Osan scenery above CGY in fs9, as some found out. Two, copy the textures from the Osan texture folder to the CGY texture folder, or three, copy the Osan lib.bgl to the fs9\scenery\generic\scenery folder and the textures to fs9\scenery\generic\texture and then you can delete them from both sceneries to save space.
Strongly suggest that you back them up and test both before deleting.

Now, the other problem about blank HAS. The HAS are white, but there is a bmp that is missing from the pack which means that the insides are white as well. Filemon showed that after sorting out the main problem two files were still missing, floor.bmp and hasin.bmp. Fortunately, Ian, who made the original HAS remarked that the HAS used the same texture as his original Spangdahlem scenery, but he had deleted all his old stuff. However, I checked his scenery and found the hasin.bmp file was included in that pack. Copied it across and hey presto the insides are now textured.

I would attach the file here but for some reason I can't attach anything to this thread, but I hope it helps and that the explanation didn't bore too many.
Steve
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

I copied the textures from Osan into the CGY textures folder and have the following result:

I keep reading about white HAS... are these HAS then the way they are SUPPOSED to look?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by reconmercs »

yeah, the HAS are supposed to be white, their that color in RL
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Then it looks like I'm all set! Thanks for taking the time to answer the queries folks... I appreciate the support!