The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nellis Problem

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by StingingCanine »

I like to use ScanAFD to check for duplicate AFCADS. This usually solves most of my AFCAD problems along with using the fault finder.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

will give it try and see what happens!
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

well none of the above worked. i have parked aircraft but still no scenery...eh i'm ready to give up, i've done 3 installs of fs9 trying to get it to work but no luck. it seems once i start installing my addon scenery is when i start getting the problem. i checked to see if it was there after installing UTUSA & GEPRO and the stock nellis scenery loaded up just fine.
i even went back and tried deleting all of the add on scenery but it still didn't load up, so i have no idea lol.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

another thing i just noticed about the aircraft parked there is that they are floating above the surface, so would that mean the problem is that the afcad is higher than the scenery?
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Yep floating aircraft is an elevation problem. See the item on fixing Edwards earlier in the thread. JABBL is a program that can fix that.
Do a search for Jackie Bouse if you don't have it. With any airplane sitting on the ground, note the elevation (in meters). You may have to do a bit of trial and error because you are in effect setting the scenery to whatever mesh you have installed. I have FS Global 2008 mesh so my elevation would be different from the stock set. In the real world, there are various elevations but in the sim airfields are flat. With JABBL set the elevation for the runway. It will then ask you if you want to reset the other elements as well. You can select either meters or feet in the sim settings item

1. Start the sim. Select settings/international/
2. from the drop down under international select 'Metric(altitude in meters)
3. Go to Nellis in any airplane. Hit 'shift +Z' now the line across the top of the screen will show altitude in meters. (570.6 M) with my mesh.
4. Exit the sim and use JABBGL to set the value in meters for Nellis.
(JABBGL will save the old settings each time you make a change)
5. Also go to AFCAD and check that it has the same value in Meters
for the airfield.
6. Start the sim again and check for floaters and the presence of the scenery. If they are still not fixed, you may have to continue trial and error to get them fixed. (Just go through steps 1-5 until all is done)
7. When you have it all correctly showing. Just save that AFCAD.
8. Now go back to step 1-2 and reset to altitude in feet.
GZR_SACTARGETS
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

well i was about to do that as mentioned above but i first decided to uninstall my alphasim nellis scenery and now the AC are no longer floating but still no stock scenery using just the stock afcad, i will try messing with jabbl and see if that helps later today after work.
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

well i got a chance to do it before work, according to FS the altitude was 570.5 and the scenery according to jabbgl was 569.366 so i changed it to 570.5 along with the afcad but still nothing :(
and i also had floating air craft this time.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

can you send me your AFCAD so I can look at it, I downloaded firebird's and it seems to work fine no float oand all the taxi and rwy is there I just found some errors in it (nodes not connected and isolated parking)
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

scottr5213 wrote:can you send me your AFCAD so I can look at it, I downloaded firebird's and it seems to work fine no float oand all the taxi and rwy is there I just found some errors in it (nodes not connected and isolated parking)
yeah that is the same one i am using, i can still send it if you want? i havn't changed anything on it tho, the only thing i'm stumped on is that the altitude in FS says 570.5 but when i change the afcad and the scenery file to the same, i get floating AC. according to jabbgl nellis was at 569.366
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

djnocturnal wrote:
scottr5213 wrote:can you send me your AFCAD so I can look at it, I downloaded firebird's and it seems to work fine no float oand all the taxi and rwy is there I just found some errors in it (nodes not connected and isolated parking)
yeah that is the same one i am using, i can still send it if you want? i havn't changed anything on it tho, the only thing i'm stumped on is that the altitude in FS says 570.5 but when i change the afcad and the scenery file to the same, i get floating AC. according to jabbgl nellis was at 569.366
That is the trial and error part. I think part of it may be where the elevation is measured for the specific aircraft. The nodes errors may not have any effect at all. But you can use AFCAD to make the errors go away if you have to have a no errors display. :twisted: I have some airfields (CYOD for example) where the designer used a taxiway to create a road. Those don't need to be connected and will show an error in AFCAD. But the AI don't use roads anyway. :D
GZR_SACTARGETS
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

just curious where do the nellis range files come from?
AF2_NR6A.bgl
AF2_NR61.bgl
AF2_NR62.bgl
AF2_NR63.bgl
AF2_NR64.bgl
AF2_NR65.bgl

could they be the problem?
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

well i just wiped out all of my add on scenery and now its working!

The only things i had installed were:
MAIW
-Whiteman
-Holloman
-Seymour Johnson
-Beale
-Osan
-Lakenheath
-Coningsby

ALPHASIM
-Ben Hoa
-Dover
-Andrews
-Barksdale
-Fallon NAS
-Pensacola NAS
-RAF Mildenhall
-RAF Fairford
Cold Lake
-Tyndall

Others:
Fairchild AFB
Ft. Worth NAS
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

You will need to check within those to make sure there is no new AFCAD for Nellis in the pack. If there is remove it (As per the readme) in the MAIW sets. :D
GZR_SACTARGETS
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

well after adding each scenery folder one at a time and checking to see if nellis was still there, i found the problem to be Fallon NAS.
anyone else have this installed without any problems?
good news tho nellis is back :)
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

djnocturnal wrote:well after adding each scenery folder one at a time and checking to see if nellis was still there, i found the problem to be Fallon NAS.
anyone else have this installed without any problems?
good news tho nellis is back :)
That's great news. I do have Fallon installed without any problems but that may be a mesh thing too. Your question started me looking a Nellis again. I went out to virtual earth and I am trying to layout parking that somewhat matches what is there. Also found there is a Creech AFB nearby where the UAV's operate. I will check that out too. I have some AI that fly into Nellis but don't land. So I suspect the problem is there is inadequate parking in the AFCAD.
GZR_SACTARGETS
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

yeah the main reason i was so mad about it was because i spent a loooong time compiling some traffic for nellis using graham king & mark walsh's repaints, now i just gotta ge the parking configured...looking at google earth now :)

thanks for all the help fellas :)
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

djnocturnal wrote:yeah the main reason i was so mad about it was because i spent a loooong time compiling some traffic for nellis using graham king & mark walsh's repaints, now i just gotta ge the parking configured...looking at google earth now :)

thanks for all the help fellas :)
Use AirNav. It has a good PDF airfield diagram and on the right sidebar a link to terraserver and virtual earth. The shots at virtual earth are what I am using. There are 11 rows of 8 each just for the F-15s. There is also a parking pad for the F-22 which is not in the AFCAD. Pretty easy add and I have done that. I will post the AFCAD when I get it done.
GZR_SACTARGETS
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

AFCAD for Nellis

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

****There is a revision posted below****Here is an AFCAD I built for Nellis. It is based on the stock airfield-but it also works with the Alphasim version. The parking slots are generic by type, B-1, F-15, etc. Thus the parking is not as directed as it can be.
Feel free to rename, shift or otherwise modify it. There are blanks where the Alphasim Statics are parked so that the AI does not show up in the same parking slot. I used Virtual Earth and the airfield Diagram from Air Nav to try to segregate specific areas. However, the slots are only identified generically by type and size and so some of the parking winds up with Random AI. BACK UP your original AFCAD first. The stock ID for Nellis is in Scenery/namw and is named <AP917190.bgl>

If you have the mobile tower, select the '1' start position and you will have a tower view of things.

I posted screenshots in the screenshots forum.
Attachments
AF2_KLSV.zip
(17.19 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by GZR_Sactargets on 16 Sep 2007, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
GZR_SACTARGETS
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I appreciate the fact that you have made the afcad available to us all.
Steve
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Me too! I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. Thanks a bunch. BTW, I always enjoy the postings you make regarding the newest news you pick up on via various military news sources. Don't have time to cruise all of those myself, and I've gotten to the point where I rely on your postings to keep up with the current meaningful tidbits. Thanks again!

Ron