The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Seymour Johnson AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
MikeyW
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by MikeyW »

Oh, well...at least the planes look nice when they're parked... I thought it was a scenery or AFCAD thing too, but when I saw the F-15Es doing it at other bases, then I started leaning towards an FDE problem. But none of the Lakenheath F-15Es did this, and they should have the exact same flight dynamics... Plus no other AI that fly into Seymour Johnson have this problem.

Anyway, sometimes it looks like the planes are having a hard time getting down the taxiways on any base - lots of tire smoke when they make a turn - but just the Seymour Johnson ones, not the Lakenheath ones. Well, I'll play with it over the weekend, when the wife gives me evening pass on the PC. Since I built a C2D rig this spring, I spend much more time flying (awesome frame rates, at last) than fiddling with the AI.

You have to see this to believe it. It looks just like the tractor tipping scene in the movie CARS. The nose just slowly rotates up, up, up, to fully perpendicular, then it just drops down through the taxiway on it's tail, and its gone in a puff of smoke.

Speaking of KRDU - I got an incentive ride there as an undergrad at NCSU in their AFROTC program. Good times...
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

What program are you using to "follow" these aircraft??
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mikey, you added the S-J Eagles into your Lakenheath folder, so they are using the same fde. I have the same setup for mine as well so if its not happening to the LN birds then it has to be scenery based. We just have to find it. Do you have any mesh installed for that area?
Steve
MikeyW
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MikeyW »

I just use the traffic explorer that comes with the SDK.

Steve, I would be agreeing with you if I hadn't seen the SJ F-15s do this at Little Rock and Davis Mothan, as well. At Offutt, they took off ok, but one crashed when it began to taxi after holding position for a plane in front of it. At Chyenne, one crashed after getting clearance to taxi, but the others took off ok. They pitch up a bit on tight turns and this makes the nosewheel smoke a lot. Sometimes they really bob when they release the brakes. But at some airports like March, Vance, and Alliance, they behave.

It almost seems like the pitch MOI may be a little high, or the CG may be a little aft of center. Dunno. Might play with those and see what happens.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

The problem showing up on relatively few machines seems to suggest a local issue as opposed to one with the fde. I just don't want to see you go off on a wild goose chase.....of course, that's half the fun for me in FS.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MikeyW
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MikeyW »

Ok, I went into the aircraft.cfg.
Changed:
empty_weight_CG_position = -5.00, 0, 1.0
to:
empty_weight_CG_position = -4.00, 0, 1.0

That fixed everything. T/Os and Ldgs are sweet. This is a beautiful airplane. Thanks for helping me!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad its sorted, Mikey. How did you happen upon that fix?
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

See...I told you.
/hides
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MikeyW
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MikeyW »

Steve,

I watched the planes for a while and just noticed that they seemed to bob a lot when they came off the brakes, and the nosewheel smoked on tight turns during taxi. I thought maybe the CG might be a little aft of center or the pitch MOI could be a little high. So figured I'd push the CG foreward a notch and see what happens. That seems to keep the nose down during ground ops, but it doesn't seem to hurt rotation on the takeoff roll. Landings don't seem to flare as much, though. Still, it should fly with the same values as everyone else. I'll have to look into it. Maybe due to FSUIPC settings...
ugo1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ugo1 »

Hi

I'm going to finish the manual install and I saw that exist a folder named texture. in thew folder there are two files: NBAI_Weapons.bmp and refl_texture.bmp I must put the two texture in the general fs9 folder?

Thanks

Ugo
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

ugo1 wrote:Hi

I'm going to finish the manual install and I saw that exist a folder named texture. in thew folder there are two files: NBAI_Weapons.bmp and refl_texture.bmp I must put the two texture in the general fs9 folder?

Thanks

Ugo
You put that texture file in the main FS9 texture folder.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

ugo1 wrote:Hi

Thanks

Ugo
correct, in your main FS9 Textures folder
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Man I can't wait to get my hands on the package!
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Hey guys
I finally downloaded and installed the package yesterday and let me just say it..... It brought a tear to my eye (OK not really). It is outstanding. Since I just got back from Iraq I haven't had to much time play around with it but I am sure I will here in the near future.

And before I forget, thank you for mentioning me in the credits. It was truly my pleasure to help out with this project.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Not a problem Scott :wink: and welcome home :D