The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Osan AB Package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Osan AB Package by MAIW

Post by reconmercs »

post feedback and issues for the OSAN AB package
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

BTW, both packages are labeled as FSX but they work fine in FS2004 8)
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by alexrfixit »

Minor point, in the instructions included with the Osan package it tells me that step 4 "Activate MAIW Scenery" is unnecessary as no additional scenery was included - My F-16s looked really silly with their noses and tails sticking out of buildings until I realised I had to activate the Osan scenery!

Nice package though - thanks very much!! :smt041 :smt041
Where did I put my beer??!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just a couple of quick questions, as I won't get to look at the packs for a day.
1. Is there any difference between the txt files,for bgl creation, required for FSX compared with what was required for FS9 ?
2. Can TTools and AFCAD2 still be used ?
Steve
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

great addon, only problem is this>>>>>>
Any ideas on a solution?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Merlin, you must install the scenery from within FS2004 just like you do with other Addon sceneries, the installer just drops it in the proper folder
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Firebird wrote:Just a couple of quick questions, as I won't get to look at the packs for a day.
1. Is there any difference between the txt files,for bgl creation, required for FSX compared with what was required for FS9 ?
2. Can TTools and AFCAD2 still be used ?
Actually this addon was made with FS2004, why it was put under FSX we are currently discussing in the staff forums...we're trying to see if we can get that fixed to avoid confusion, so in short everything will work fine in FS2004 and should in FSX but I haven't confirmed this myself as I haven't purchased FSX yet.
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

ok thanks Des, i should of read a reply above!!
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

ok, applied scenery, now are some HAS's meant to be white?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

yes, this is normal, Otter515 meant for them to look like that
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

reconmercs wrote:Actually this addon was made with FS2004, why it was put under FSX we are currently discussing in the staff forums...we're trying to see if we can get that fixed to avoid confusion, so in short everything will work fine in FS2004 and should in FSX but I haven't confirmed this myself as I haven't purchased FSX yet.
Thanks for the reply, Des.

I think if the answers to the questions are found out by somebody that it would nice if they could publish the facts somewhere on this site, although not necessarily on this thread.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

merlin101 wrote:ok, applied scenery, now are some HAS's meant to be white?
Merlin, I asked the same thing this morning, doesn't seem to look right, but low and behold a quick check with Google Earth of Osan AB and sure enough, they are white. Not sure what the thinking behind that is, maybe cuts down on the internal temps during the summer??
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Bora

Post by Bora »

Congratulations on the release of the first packages !

I hope you don't mind my comments though... I only checked the Osan package sofar. Too bad that the flightplans look a bit randomly produced:

- F-16's and A-10's are flying 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, not very realistic. Would be more realistic to have some peek periods during the day when a lot of departure and arrival is happening.
- Most F-16s and A-10's are flying alone, not very realistic. Would be more realistic to have two or more of the same type departing at the same time (one after each other) flying to the same location and coming back at the same time.
- Real tail numbers could have been used in the flightplans instead of just using 1, 2, 3 and so on...
- Same for the callsign numbers...

I hope more effort will be put into the flightplans for future releases...

My military flightplans at Avsim:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... hange+View[/url]
Last edited by Bora on 15 Oct 2006, 17:14, edited 3 times in total.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Bora,
we do need you here! :wink:
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
Bora

Post by Bora »

Wish I had time for that... :(
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Calvin Gwin »

Uhhhh.... did anyone proofread the read-me.... :D I suppose next time we should make sure we say that the scenery must be activated...
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Bora wrote:Congratulations on the release of the first packages !

I hope you don't mind my comments though... I only checked the Osan package sofar. Too bad that the flightplans look a bit randomly produced:

- F-16's and A-10's are flying 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, not very realistic. Would be more realistic to have some peek periods during the day when a lot of departure and arrival is happening.
- Most F-16s and A-10's are flying alone, not very realistic. Would be more realistic to have two or more of the same type departing at the same time (one after each other) flying to the same location and coming back at the same time.
- Real tail numbers could have been used in the flightplans instead of just using 1, 2, 3 and so on...
- Same for the callsign numbers...

I hope more effort will be put into the flightplans for future releases...

My military flightplans at Avsim:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... hange+View[/url]
actually ALOT of effort was put into the flightplan. There are a couple two and even four ships mixed in there and tail numbers aren't used as callsigns for military aircraft, their numbers are based on their position in a flight but I figured that get tedius with so few callsigns to use you'd have a bunch of "Assam 1-1 and 3-1's" flying around and the 51st specializes in night flying so I'd assume there are operations 24/7 especially being so close to the border with North Korea, but there's always room for improvement :wink:
Bora

Post by Bora »

Sorry Des, I did not mean to put any doubt into your efforts, but by looking at the departure times of for instance 01:24:57 or something, it looked to me as if these were randomly created by using some kind of program to write these plans rather then picking the departure times yourself... By using the timetable function in AITM you get a nice overview of what's happening in your flightplans during the day.

I think in reality there will not be much single ship flights leaving Osan on official missions, maybe just a test flight now and then or a two-seater.

I know that tailnumbers are not being used for callsigns, I just meant using something more realistic then 1, 2, 3 and so on.

Night flights are mostly practiced in the evening rather then in the middle of the night...

I am not saying that my flightplans are perfect, but I always try to put in as much as realism as possible...

Once you guys got an F-15, I will volunteer to do the Lakenheath plans... 8)

Anyway, looking forward to the next packages ! :wink:
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Eric,

There's always going to be room for improvement. But after all this is freeware. Some of us settle for less realism than others, no biggie, that's just how it is. As always with a volunteer group we have to accept whatever our volunteers produce. As we all know flightplanning is a tedious process which I don't think anyone enjoys after the first hour or so. Perhaps if you have some spare time in the future you could lend us a hand with more than just the F-15s, we certainly need all the help we can get.

Just off the top of my head I know we will be needing flightplans for:

F-117s
B-52s
B-1s
T-37s
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
matias
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

t-37 FP's

Post by matias »

Hey all,
I would love to flightplan out the T-37s I have a good knowledge base of the tweet and I have been spotting them doing cross countries in Denver, Fresno, And Colorado springs let me know if I can help looking forward to it!
PS. I helped Delta Dan with the Fresno F-16 plans if you want to see how I flightplan.
Thanks