The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MCBH Kaneohe Bay Version 3 package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

OK i'll give that a try, as mentioned before, I have no other scenery files for Hawaii, and everything works fine when the K-bay is not activated.

DaveB

Tried this, took out all files, then put them back in turn, no problems, apart from the VTPL file was not there at all.
Scenery is working fine at the moment.
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Tried out and it worked for a while,had to switch off pc, went back on later and it crashed again!
Would the missing VTPL file be the cause?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

You don't have the Kaneohe_Default_Poly_Exclude_VTPL from the scenery, then I would check the install again, Dave. You should have 23 bgls in that folder.

To answer your question though, the answer is no that being missing is more likely to make it stable. The reason being, now try to stay with me for this because it has a lot of negatives here :D , that if there isn't a bgl then it can't call for a texture that doesn't exist and cause a crash.

See what I mean :lol: .

As I have experienced recently, and managed to fix, is that a crash will occur if a bgl tries to call for a texture that doesn't exist. What you describe is a bit puzzling and does seem to be random. Is this the case?
Steve
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Hi Steve,

If you mean random as in any scenery add-ons, then this is the only one I have problems with.

I have not been back on FS today so not sure if it will still crash when I try to load.

As for the files mentioned, I removed the four files , then put them back one at a time, starting with the landclass, then LWM2, the others, I'm not sure which order.
After each, I re-started FS, and had no problems, only after the pc had been switched off for a few of hours, when I went back did it crash?????
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Dave,
What I mean by random is its work one and not the next kinda thing. This would tend to point the problem to a different cause as the scenery doesn't change. That to me is more worrying. I liked it better when it always crashed.

The only thing that I can possibly think that could cause this type of behaviour is if you are not restarting FS9 after each addition or removal. However I know that you are and that is what I find disturbing.

P.S. I have 7 of those 4 types in my folder you only have 4? Or were you testing type by type?
Steve
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Hi Steve,

It seems to be crashing all the time!, like I said before, I removed 4 files then put them back 1 at a time.
I've not actually counted how many files I have in the K-bay folder, will do and get back later.

Now counted, I have 23 bgls in my scenery folder. & 18 bmp's in the texture folder.
Does this mean I have a rouge bgl file, as I am missing the VTPL file??

DaveB
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Still keeps crashing!!
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Attach a screenshot of your Kaneohe scenery and texture folders.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sorry Dave, the forum didn't flag that you had updated your post.
So you have 23 bgls but not Kaneohe_Default_Poly_Exclude_VTPL, so which is the extra one that you put in that wasn't in the download?
Steve
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Oooops, my mistake, do have that file, just didn't notice it. :oops:

Still open as to what to try next?.

Dave B
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK Dave,
So just to clarify,
1. Its fine without all those fiddly VTP and landclass files?
2. It crashes when you put any of those seven files back in place?
3. It crashes with or without those 7 files?

If the answer to 1. is yes, then its definitely a missing or corrupt texture.
If the answer to 2. is yes then the chances of ALL of those files calling the same texture are remote, but will need John to confirm this, and the chances are that the problem is caused by an inconsistancy between those files and some other scenery or mesh that affects Hawaii.
If the answer to 3. is yes, then the package is not the problem.

Which area do we need to investigate further?
Steve
DaveB at EGCC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DaveB at EGCC »

Hi Steve,

Will have another try! then get back to you.

DaveB
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

possible waypoint conflict ?

Post by petebramley »

Hi All

I was doing a bit of housekeeping on my AFCAD & ADDON SCENERY folders the other day when I discovered two waypoints in different locations with the same name. the details are as follows:

File name: MAIW_AF2_OOM1_GB.BGL
Originating package: MAIW_oman_air_force.zip
details:
Position N17*30.5288' E56* 02.2818' Elev 53.0
Airport ID OOM1
Country OMAN
City WAYPOINT
Airport Name WAYPOINT 1

File name: MAIW_AFX_OOM1.BGL
Originating package: MAIW_mcbh_kaneohe_bay_v3r1.zip
details:
Position N20*22.5283' E61* 28.7595' Elev 0.0
Airport ID OOM1
Country OMAN
City Massirah
Airport Name Gulf Range 1

The question is, can you have two waypoints in the same area with the same name and will it cause any problems. believe that it might be necessary to rename one to OOM2 and update the associated flightplans accordingly.

Regards

Pete
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hmmm, I can't answer that one with absolute certainty but I believe that either FS9 won't like it and crash or it will ignore one completely.

Its something that we obviously missed. Firstly, though renaming one of them to OOM2 wouldn't make the situation any better as there is already one of those.
Our golden rule, and in all documents, says that all earlier afcads with the same name should be removed. So I would say that AF2 file should be archived, you never know you might want it back one day.
However you did touch on another option which is to rename one of them and alter the relevant flightplans. I have that OOM1-7 are live valid waypoints used by us.
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Firebird
Our golden rule, and in all documents, says that all earlier afcads with the same name should be removed. So I would say that AF2 file should be archived, you never know you might want it back one day.
However you did touch on another option which is to rename one of them and alter the relevant flightplans. I have that OOM1-7 are live valid waypoints used by us.

I fully understand this and if the files had the same filename then I would have picked up on it much sooner. It does not seem to be causing any major problems on my system so will leave it 'as is' for now.

Whilst cleaning up my AFCAD & Addon Scenery folders I noticed several files that were duplicated (one of them 4 times). In all but the case above they were easy to resolve as they had the same location/alt/name so that I could keep the most recent and delete the remainder.

Its probably too late now but it would have been nice if there was a standard naming convention for these files so that any duplicates can be easily recognised. Now I rename all my AFCAD/AFX/Waypoint/Exclude files and drop them int their own folders. This makes looking for possible problems easier in most cases. Of course that then can make working out from which package any offending files came from a bit of a chore but its all swings and roundabouts :)

Pete
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

They would be the same name, Pete, but there is a little glitch with that system.

Afcads made with AFX can have exclude areas built in which can be used for FS9. Unfortunately, if you open an AFX afcad with the original afcad program it deletes the exclude automatically.
So thats why we have MAIW_AF2 and MAIW_AFX names to warn people of possible consequences. Of course the warning in the docs apply to non-MAIW afcads as well so it is always best to use a tool to check for duplicates no matter what naming standard.
Steve
TeamNutmeg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TeamNutmeg »

Just a suggestion if/when this package gets revised.

I live just down the road from PHJR (Kalaeloa Airport/John Rodgers Field/ex-NAS Barbers Point), and K-Bay's P-3s still come down here a couple times a week to do T&Gs. I've never seen anything but single aircraft, so far never at night, and usually two to four passes. I've been here almost four years, so I've gotten a good feel for the routine.

I intend to add a few flights to my own traffic file, but I thought you guys might appreciate a little eyes-on recon. :D

Keep up the great work - your packages have added immensely to my enjoyment of this sim.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

We always like having people with first hand knowledge to help us make the packages as realistic as possible. Let us know how the flight plans work out for Barber's Point. One thing that limits AI in that area are the mountains. Some airports are just not practical because the AI fly through mountain ranges on their approaches or departures and sometimes they even fly into the mountain and never come out the other side! :shock:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
TeamNutmeg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TeamNutmeg »

Don't I know it. I wasted two days' worth of free time trying to figure out some way of getting one of the local carriers to not fly into the mountains going from one airport to another on Maui. Bloody frustrating.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Re: MCBH Kaneohe Bay Version 3 package by MAIW

Post by Joseph29 »

I just re installed my FSDT Honolulu scenery after a recent hard drive crash now my FS9 crashes when trying to load Honolulu with the MAIW Kaneohe Bay scenery. I then un installed the MAIW Kaneohe Bay scenery and everything is fine. FSDT did update their PHNL scenery and everything worked before the update.