The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by MIKE JG »

This thread is now closed. Please make a new post if you have a question about converting one of our packages for FSX.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
dk1213
Major
Major
Version: FSX

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by dk1213 »

Hey Guys,
Great job on the packages. I have them all installed. In a couple cases though, I cant get the AI planes to show up or take off. For example, I have the reserve hornets only showing up at New Orleans NAS. No joy at Oceana or Ft worth, at Lemoore its empty, however there are like 30 other packages working flawlessly.I have tried everything. Can someone offer some help?
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Hmmm....sounds like an AFCAD issue but again, I'm only guessing here as I don't run FSX. Someone will chime in here shortly.
-Mike G.

dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

Thanks .... Afcad issue is a possibility however I dont run any Fort Worth Afcads, and I disabled my Oceana one. Still no traffic. I am thinking that there may be a conflict between some of the older packages traffic files and the newer ones, because I have odd issues with traffic for example if I click to show air traffic sometimes there are two planes on top of each other flying, in NAS Corpus Christi. I have yet to pull all of the traffic (there are like 90 files) to test them one by one which would be tedious and I have to devote at least some time to normal life lol.

Anyone with any ideas please chime in, im all ears!!!
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

CMON GUYS. Somebody knows the answer.
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yea but they're too busy drooling over their way cool FSX graphics to help.......... :mrgreen:
-Mike G.

BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Check this post out. I bet the answer is in there somewhere.
http://militaryaiworks.com/newforum/vie ... f=1&t=2456
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

I figured it out, i had to delete some of my add on sceneries to make it work. I still think something is up though because i have the slider at 100% and my bases are only half at best full.
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Is it Hornets that you ae looking for , as there are only 36 in the Reserve Hornets package spread over the 3 bases so they would be kinda lonely.

What aircraft do you think that you are missing?
Steve
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

I finally got it working. I get that about the hornets, this is where i have them showing up KNFW, KNBG, KNFL, KNTU. It was cool to see the aggressors at fallon. I cant get top gun to display any planes, however i think my system is running almost every package correctly other than that. Europe is full of traffic, and the US is nice but i noticed i seem to only get ai when I get close to the bases. Shouldnt they be carrying on, flying their routes so i can see them en route? Maybe I just am not flying in the right spots, I dont know. I love to fly dino cattaneo's goshawk, so I am spending alot of time in kingsville and meridian, flying routes to little rock and ones that I know the real navy flies. I have very few add ons other than maiw and my traffic is at 100%, I could have conflicting packages or maybe too high of expectations. Let me know what you guys think. :?:
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

I am leaning more toward conflicting packages. I recently read that you cant use some of the afcads if you want to use two conflicting packages and I have them all installed.
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

Also,
I want to make Martin Grossman aware you cannot download his texture replacement tool for props from his site or MAIW. I have tried multiple times to get it but the link just leads you to a download area containing the other 4 downloads he hosts. If possible, can one of you send me a link or a copy of the texture replacement tool for props? Thanks in advance.
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

We haven't been able to get a hold of Martin for a while now. Not sure what happened to him. Someone should have a proper link for you.
-Mike G.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

dk1213 wrote:I am leaning more toward conflicting packages. I recently read that you cant use some of the afcads if you want to use two conflicting packages and I have them all installed.
You are correct in as much that only afcad will be picked up by the system and used and this is why we mention in the package Docs that you need to remove older afcads for specific places that we supply afcads.
Each new afcad we release the afcad will directly replace our older ones, as we have taken other pakcages of ours into consideration. There is only one direct conflict, Miramar, where if you have the Top Gun package installed you will not have parking for the Herks from the USN/USMC Herk package. Also I think that you will find that should some Hornet package be released that this will build upon the Herk package and not the Top Gun one.
Here yoh have to make a choice of which era you want the base to be in.

Now if what I read is accurate and the only place missing aircraft is miramar from the Top Gun package then that is very likely to be because you have installed the Herk package and are using, or picking up, that afcad.

Is this the case?
Steve
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

yes I believe so. Although I do pick up the scenery from the top gun package, if it conflicts with the more modern Herks package I believe I would rather have that. I am not sure how to test to see what other conflicts I may have, however I think I have a pretty good idea that most if not all with the exception of coningsby (it was causing only jags to be displayed at all UK bases - once i removed it I got all the other traffic) are working correctly. When you get to the point I am at, it gets confusing on what is and isnt happening. I have every package installed, so its alot to think about when looking for why something isnt going right. I am also wondering if I am seeing the correct amount of traffic with the slider at 100%, I noticed that I pick up only 6 or 7 planes near a base that I am flying by, but i am otherwise happy. I still think I have some further conflicts to work out but I thank you guys for your help.
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ah, Coningsby. In which case I might know what is causing that issue. It is probably that the Jaguar traffic bgl hasn't been converted by you to FSX. If there is an FS9 traffic file on your system it will stop your FSX traffic appearing.

The reason that this might have got past you is that those traffic files are stored in the Coningsby scenery folder. Try running a utility of your choice that checks and converts them. There are two Jag files, Traffic_EGXC_Jaguar_6Sqn.bgl and Traffic_EGXC_FlyBy.bgl . You should then be able to successfully use the excellent Coningsby scenery.

On The Miramar front you can use the original scenery, from Top Gun, but use the afcad from the Herks instead, and that should give you want you want, if I read it correctly.
Steve
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

ya know what .... you are the genius I have been waiting for. I have all these little stupid problems, and look, you fixed conigsby in one sentence, I would have never thought to look in the scenery folder for traffic.

I deleted miramar and left TOP GUN AIRWING 2.BGL so I could keep some f-14's in the game running to and from fallon, and now the lot is full with f-14's, herks, mentors, and I saw even some T45 goshawks there. Working beautifully.
I have a hard one for you. I use very little add on scenery other than MAIW, however I use (or used to) Jim Dhaenens Oceana NAS scenery. Although not his best work, it looks better than the default oceana. If I activate it in the scenery, no ai traffic uses it or shows up. I know I could delete the default MAIW Afcad, but wouldnt that kill the multiple packages that use it? I dont want to mess up anything. It is all working so good right now. Also, can I use just flights Military traffic one and two with MAIW?
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am glad we got a couple of your issues fixed.

On the Oceana scenery front i will have to guess here as i don't have FSX. If you had traffic now but none with the scenery this would suggest that the scenery contains an afcad which supercedes the MAIW one. Look to see if the scenery contains an afcad. I never delete these sorts of things but zip them up.
The other thing that might happen is that it contains excludes that wipe out the afcad. Try moving a copy of the MAIW afcad to the scenery folder and see if that improves anything.
You are right in thinking that our afcads specifically target MAIW packages present and future, so an non-MAIW afcad being prevalent will most likely have an undesirable effect.

On the Just Flight packages its hard to say as I don't have them. If they install afcads then they are likely to affect what you see from us, most likely in sqn allocations as I doubt very much that they use or parking codes.
On the traffic front itself they should be ok, but please take into account that if they add traffic to a base that we cover you are likely to have double the amount of aircraft based there. If you have something like 72 F-16s on a base and suddenly get 144 show up you will not get what you want. So I guess it depends on how flexible and configurable the packages are.
Steve
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

ok. Thanks for your help. Let me ask you, what is the average number of AI jets supposed to be at a base? With my traffic slider at 60%, I just flew into maxwell afb and had 4 herks 2 f15 and 2 f16 but thats it. If i go to meridian same setup, the whole base is full with like 50+ goshawks. Then go to lemoore, and there will be 6 or 7 mentors, then Dyess or Tyndall and I'll have 50+ jets. Is it in the design of the particular base to be like that big of a swing on density? How does the density actually work? I understand it can be by time of day etc but it should be more than a few jets at some of these bases I would think.
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hmmm, to be honest I don't think that each package is spread scientifically. It may be that your percentage maybe too low for most stuff at a particular place. The only true way to tell if you have got full AI is to go 100%. Once you have checked that, then set it at whatever percentage you like overall.
You could use a tool like ACA2005 or AIFP to list the flightplans to list the percentage for each flight, but we have no set flight plan percentile quota.
Steve